Zelda: Breath of the Wild's Shrines are small puzzle rooms that are scattered throughout the game's world.
Introduced at the start of the game as a means to unlock Runes - special abilities Link can use to manipulate objects to solve puzzles - they later reward Link with Spirit Orbs, which can be traded in for permanent Stamina and Heart Container upgrades.
While considered optional, visiting them will make your quest go much smoother, and are home to some of the best challenges in the game - so be sure to take the time to visit as many as you can.
If you're after help for the main game itself, then consult our Zelda: Breath of the Wild walkthrough and guide.
Shrine location maps for Zelda: Breath of the Wild
There are many Shrines throughout the game (120, to be exact) with every region containing a handful each. You can spot them from a distance by their characteristic red glow; not unlike the Towers that sprout up throughout the land, but closer to the ground.
Of course, some are harder to find than others, often appearing out of view or out of reach, and so accessing them can prove to be a puzzle within itself.
Once you have entered and completed its Trial, you will reward a Spirit Orb by their conclusion - used to trade for permanent Heart Containers and Stamina upgrades, which you can read about later in this article - as well as bonus Treasure, some of which is exclusive to that Shrine.
Below are maps for every region and their Shrine locations, as well as guides to Shrines we've found so far. Expect on-going updates to this as we continue to explore Hyrule's massive world.
Great Plateau region (4 Shrines)
- Ja Baij Shrine location and Bomb Trial solution
- Keh Nanut Shrine, Cryonis Trial, River of the Dead
- Oman Au Shrine and Magnesis Trial solution
- Owa Daim Shrine and Stasis Trial solution
Dueling Peaks region (9 Shrines)
- Bosh Kala and The Wind Guides You trial solution
- Ha Dahamar and The Water Guides trial solution
- Hila Rao and Drifting trial solution
- Lakna Rokee location, Stolen Heirloom Shrine Quest, Flown the Coop
- Rahee Dee and Timing is Critical trial solution
- Shee Vaneer, Shee Venath shrine, and Twin Memories trial solution
- Ta'loh Naeg and Ta'loh Naeg's Teaching trial solution
- Toto Sah and Toto Sah Apparatus trial solution
Hateno region (7 Shrines)
- Chaas Qeta location and A Major Test of Strength trial solution
- Dow Na'eh and The Three Boxes Trial solution
- Jitan Sa'Mi on Mount Lanayru and Spring of Wisdom
- Kam Urog, Cursed Statue Shrine Quest and Trial of Passage solution
- Mezza Lo, Crowned Beast Shrine Quest and the Ancient Trifecta trial solution
- Myahm Agana and Myahm Agana Apparatus trial solution
- Tahno O'ah and Secret of the Cedars Shrine Quest solution
Lanayru region (9 Shrines)
- Dagah Keek and The Ceremonial Song quest
- Daka Tuss and Sunken Scoop trial solution
- Kah Mael and Drop and Rise
- Kaya Wan and Shields From Water trial solution
- Ne'ez Yohma and Pushing Power trial solution
- Rucco Maag and Five Torches trial solution
- Shai Yota and the Master of the Wind
- Sheh Rata, how to clear the thistles, and Speed of Light trial solution
- Soh Kofi location and A Minor Test of Strength trial solution
Faron region (8 Shrines)
- Eventide Island, Korgu Chideh, and the Stranded on Eventide Island quest
- Kah Yah and A Fragmented Monument shrine quest
- Muwo Jeem location and A Modest Test of Strength trial solution
- Qukah Nata and A Song of Storms quest solution
- Shai Utoh and Halt the Tilt trial solution
- Shoda Sah and Impeccable Timing trial solution
- Tawa Jinn and Three Giant Brothers quest solution
- Yah Rin and A Weighty Decision trial solution
Eldin and Death Mountain region (9 Shrines)
- Daqa Koh and Stalled Flight trial
- Gorae Torr and The Gut Check Challenge
- Kayra Mah, A Brother's Roast quest and Greedy Hill
- Mo'a Keet, Metal Makes a Path trial near Foothill Stable
- Qua Raym, A Balanced Approach trial solution
- Shae Mo'sah Sine and Swinging Flames solution
- Sah Dahaj and Power of Fire
- Shora Hah location and Blue Flame trial solution
- Tah Muhl, A Landscape of a Stable quest, Passing the Flame
Woodland region (8 Shrines)
- Daag Chokah and The Lost Pilgrimage solution
- Keo Ruug and Fateful Stars trial solution
- Ketoh Wawai and Thyphlo Ruins solution
- Kuhn Sidajj and Trial of Second Sight solution
- Maag Halan and The Trial of Wood solution
- Mirro Shaz and Tempered Power trial solution
- Monya Toma and Drawing Parabolas solution
- Rona Kachta and the Forgotten Temple solution
Ridgeland region (7 Shrines)
- Maag No'rah and how to find it in the Ridgeland region
- Mijah Rokee and Under a Red Moon quest solution
- Mogg Latan and the Synched Swing trial solution
- Shae Loya and Aim for the Moment trial solution
- Sheem Dagoze, the Two Rings quest and Moving in Parallel trial solution
- Toh Yahsa, Trial of Thunder and Buried Secrets solutions
- Zalta Wa and the Two Orbs to Guide You trial solution
Tabantha region (6 Shrines)
- Akh Va'quot and Windmills trial solution
- Bareeda Naag, The Ancient Rito Song and Cannon trial solutions
- Kah Okeo and Wind Guide trial solution
- Sha Warvo and Path of Hidden Winds trial solution
- Tena Ko'sah location
- Voo Lota, Recital at Warbler's Nest and The Winding Route solutions
Wasteland region (12 Shrines)
- Dako Tah and Electric Path trial solution
- Daqo Chisay and The Whole Picture trial solution
- Dila Maag (South Lomei Labyrinth)
- Hawa Koth and The Current Solution trial solution
- Jee Noh and One the Move trial solution
- Kay Noh and Power of Electricity trial solution
- Kema Zoos, The Silent Swordswomen quest, and A Delayed Puzzle trial solution
- Korsh O'hu and The Sevel Heroines quest solution
- Misae Suma and The Perfect Drink quest solution
- Raqa Zunzo, beating The Undefeated Champ at the Sand-Seal Rally
- Suma Sahma and Secret of the Snowy Peaks quest
- Tho Kayu and how to defeat the Molduga
Lake region (6 Shrines)
- Ishto Soh and Bravery's Grasp trial solution
- Ka'o Makagh and Metal Doors Open The Way
- Pumaag Nitae
- Shoqa Tatone and the Guardian Slideshow quest
- Shae Katha (Farosh dragon)
- Ya Naga and Shatter the Heavens trial solution
Central region (8 Shrines)
- Dah Kaso location
- Kaam Ya'tak and Trial of Power solution
- Katah Chuki location
- Namika Ozz location
- Noya Neha location
- Rota Ooh and Passing of the Gates trial solution
- Saas Ko'sah
- Wahgo Katta and Metal Connections trial solution
Hebra region (13 Shrines)
- Dunba Taag, Build and Release solution
- Gee Ha'rah, snowball rolling gate puzzle and Tandem solution
- Goma Asaagh at the foot of Hebra Peak
- Hia Miu location
- Lanno Koc and Lanno Koch's Blessing solution
- Maka Rah at Lake Kilsie and Steady Thy Heart trial solution
- Mozo Shenno and The Bird in the Mountains quest solution
- Rin Oyaa and Directing the Wind solution
- Rok Uwog and Power of Reach solution
- Sha Gehma and Shift and Lock solution
- Shada Naw and Red Giveaway solution
- To Quomo and how to open the Hebra North Summit gates
- Qaza Tokki (North Lomei Labyrinth)
Gerudo Highlands region (6 Shrines)
- Joloo Nah trial and Test of Will quest
- Keeha Yoog and the Cliffside Etchings quest solution
- Kema Kosassa location
- Kuh Takkar and the Melting Ice Hazard trial solution
- Sasa Kai and The Sign of the Shadow quest solution
- Sho Dantu and the Two Bombs trial solution
Akkala region (8 Shrines)
- Dah Hesho location
- Katosa Aug and Katosa Aug Apparatus trial solution
- Ke'nai Shakah location
- Ritaag Zumo and and the Into the Vortex quest solution by navigating the Akkala spiral
- Tu Ka'loh (Lomei Island Labyrinth)
- Tutsuwa Nima (Dinraal dragon)
- Ze Kasho and Ze Kasho Apparatus trial solution
- Zuna Kai and The Skull's Eye quest solution
How to trade Spirit Orbs for Heart Containers
Although you can cook new recipes to give you temporary Heart Containers and Stamina boosts, only collecting Spirit Orbs can you permanently increase their gauges.
Some villages will have a statue you can pray at, such as Kakariko Village, so warp to your favourite and visit and you'll be given the option to upgrade either health or stamina.
Thankfully, the choice isn't permanent. There is a special statue at Hateno Village that can allow you to transfer your Hearts to Stamina, and vise versa, at a 20 Rupee cost.
This is particularly useful when it comes to collecting the Master Sword, which requires a certain number of Hearts, and so transferring your spare Stamina - even temporarily - over to your Heart gauge can come in useful.
You can also get a full Heart Container from completing each of the four Divine Beasts, so playing just the main quest will give you upgrades. But if you want to max out everything, then you need to dig into Shrines.
Thanks to a new update, it's now possible to play Zelda Breath of the Wild in VR. Want help with the main game? Our Zelda: Breath of the Wild walkthrough can help complete Divine Beasts Vah Ruta, Vah Rudiana, Vah Medoh and Vah Naboris and more. There's also how to get the Master Sword, Hylian Shield and all Captured Memories locations and Great Fairy Fountain locations, while our Shrines locations and Shrine maps hub explains where to find and solve every puzzle room, including dragon locations and Labyrinth solutions. We also have a DLC 1 guide and DLC 2 guide, including all Tingle, Majora's Mask, Phantom, Midna outfit locations.
Other things to know about Shrines in Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Shrines have three colour schemes. Pure orange means it's unvisited and unsolved; half blue and half red means it's visited and an active fast travel point, but unsolved, and pure blue is visited and completed. The latter two are also shown on the map so you can track down which visited Shrines you've yet to complete.
- Beyond giving you a Spirit Orb, the best reason to visit a Shrine is to add it as a fast travel location on your map. Even if you don't finish the Shrine - maybe you don't fancy doing it there and then, or can't work out its solution - activating it will add it to your map regardless, so always pay a visit whenever you see one.
- No single Shrine is gated, and all can be completed as soon as you visit. Playing other Shrines may teach you ways of looking things in a certain way to solve puzzles - such as using fire in special ways - so if you are completely stuck, come back later after solving others.
- There is a reoccurring kind of Shrine named the Test of Strength, which sees you go one-on-one against a Guardian Scout in a variety of difficulties. It's wise to only fight III and IV difficulty Scouts later when you have better weapons and armour, but again, there's nothing to stop you beating them at any point in the game.
- As well as a Spirit Orb or Rune to collect, there is usually an optional and hidden treasure chest to find along the way. These tend to be just off the beaten path, so keep an eye out for distant platforms and other routes to take as you are exploring.
- Some Shrines have Shrine Quests attached. While you don't need to start these to access the Shrine, they will provide useful clues to their location.
Additional reporting by Chris Tapsell.