Masterwork Research: Apex is the second Masterwork Research quest in Pokémon Go and, by completing it, you'll gain two powerful legendary Pokémon - Apex Shadow Ho-Oh and Apex Shadow Lugia.
If you want to complete this quest, however, you need to purchase a Pokémon Go Tour: Johto ticket and play Pokémon Go during the event. Doing so will unlock the Pokémon Go Tour: Johto special research quest and, once it's completed, Masterwork Research: Apex will be available.
Below you'll find the Masterwork Research: Apex quest steps, so you can get Apex Shadow Ho-Oh and Apex Shadow Lugia for your collection.
On this page:
'Masterwork Research: Apex' quest steps in Pokémon Go
Below you can find the Masterwork Research: Apex quest steps in Pokémon Go. Don't forget - this quest is designed to take a good amount of time, so don't feel like you have to rush the experience.
To unlock this quest, you must have first brought a Pokémon Go Tour: Johto ticket and, secondly, completed the Pokémon Go Tour: Johto special research quest. Thankfully, this special research has no deadline, so don't worry if you're unable to complete it during the event.
Be wary, this section does contain spoilers if you'd prefer to be surprised.
'Masterwork Research: Apex' Step 1 of 4
- Earn 100,000 XP - 10x Hyper Potions reward
- Complete 100 Field Research Tasks - 1000 XP reward
- Catch 100 different species of Pokémon - Apex Shadow Ho-Oh encounter reward
'Masterwork Research: Apex' Step 2 of 4
- Earn a heart with your buddy 30 days in a row - 1x Poffin reward
- Send 50 Gifts to friends - 1 Lure Module reward
- Open 10 Gifts - 1 Lucky Egg reward
Rewards: 2000 XP, 3 Rare Candy and 2000 Stardust
'Masterwork Research: Apex' Step 3 of 4'
- Hatch 10 Eggs - 3000 Stardust
- Defeat 30 Team Go Rocket members - 1 Super Rocket Radar
- Defeat the Team Go Team Rocket Boss - 3 Silver Pinap Berries
Rewards: 2000 XP, 2000 Stardust and an Apex Shadow Lugia encounter
'Masterwork Research: Apex' Step 4 of 4
- Claim reward - 3000 XP
- Claim reward - 4000 Stardust
- Claim reward - 5000 XP
Rewards: 5000 XP, 5000 Stardust and 20 Lugia Candy
The Season of Go has arrived! The Pokémon TCG Crossover event is here, which includes the release of Wimpod and Golisopod. While Go Fest 2022 may be behind us, there are still three special research quests you might be working on - Pokémon Go Fest 2022, Rhi's Arrival and A Radiant World. Meanwhile, the Great League and Great League and Great League Remix are currently running in the Go Battle League Season 11. This season has also seen the lowering of the level requirement for Candy XL and introduced the first Ultra Beast, Nihilego.
Tips on how to complete Masterwork Research: Apex in Pokémon Go
Here are some tips which will help you complete Masterwork Research: Apex:
- You can use a Lucky Egg to double the amount of XP you receive any activity in Pokémon Go.
- Remember - you can delete field research tasks, so, if you get one you don't like, simply get rid of it.
- Using incense will attract a variety of Pokémon to your location.
- If you're having trouble finding a variety of Pokémon species, then try using a special Lure Module at a PokéStop, because each one attracts a different set of Pokémon types.
- Make sure you stock up on healing items, like Potions, before tackling the Team Go Rocket members.
Apex Shadow Ho-Oh and Apex Shadow Lugia moves in Pokémon Go explained
Both of these Pokémon can only be obtained by completing the Masterwork Research: Apex, which, as mentioned previously, is only available to players who've purchased a Go Tour: Johto ticket and completed the Pokémon Go Tour: Johto special research quest.
No matter which version of the Go Tour: Johto event you choose, you'll receive both Apex Shadow Ho-Oh and Apex Shadow Lugia during this questline.
For Apex Shadow Ho-Oh:
- Sacred Fire - rises from 135 to 155 power
For Apex Shadow Lugia
- Aeroblast - rises from 200 to 225 power
Remember - you don't have to purify either Pokémon and, if you do, these power increases only apply to Gym and raid, not the trainer battles or the Go Battle League.
How Masterwork: Research Apex works in Pokémon Go
Masterwork: Research Apex is the second Masterwork Research quest to be released in Pokémon Go and offers you the chance to catch two dangerous legendary Pokémon - Apex Shadow Lugia and Apex Shadow Ho-Oh.
Like the first Masterwork Research quest - All-in-One #151 - this quest is exclusive to those who purchased tickets to a Go Tour event. In this case, the event is Go Tour: Johto and players must play Pokémon Go at least once on the day of the event, Saturday 26th February, to first unlock the Pokémon Go Tour: Johto special research quest.
Once this quest is completed, Masterwork: Research Apex will automatically unlock.
The challenges for Masterwork Research quests are designed to be far longer than those of a special research quest - one challenge from All-in-One #151 requires you to be Trainer Level 40. Due to this, don't be surprised if Masterwork: Research Apex takes you a number of months to complete.
Aside from the tough nature of the challenges, progressing through Masterwork Research: Apex is exactly the same as any other research quest; you need to complete your current set of challenges, collect the quest step's rewards and keep going until the whole quest is completed.
Thankfully, Masterwork: Research Apex has no deadline, so feel free to take your time!