The Pokémon Go Tour: Johto is a special research quest which offers you the chance to add both Celebi and red Gyarados - also called shiny Gyarados - to your Pokémon Go collection.
Completing this quest will also unlock the Masterwork Research: Apex quest where you can catch both Apex Shadow Lugia and Apex Shadow Ho-Oh.
On this page:
'Pokémon Go Tour: Johto' quest steps in Pokémon Go
Below you'll find the Pokémon Go Tour: Johto quest steps and rewards in Pokémon Go.
Remember - to unlock this quest you need to both purchase a Go Tour: Johto ticket and play Pokémon Go during the event on Saturday, 26th February. Once you've done so, you'll be able to complete this questline at your own pace since it doesn't have a deadline.
The challenges and rewards for this quest will differ slightly depending on which Gen 2 starter - Chikorita, Cyndaquil and Totodile - you select, but this choice does not affect the overall rewards. This means you can safely choose your favourite out of these three Pokémon without the risk of missing either Celebi or red Gyarados.
Your choice in version - Gold and Silver - will also change some of the rewards you receive.
Keep in mind that this section does contain spoilers, so, if you want to be surprised, we recommend skipping ahead.
Thank you to Amiibofan101 from reddit for the help with this information.
'Pokémon Go Tour: Johto' Step 1 of 9
- Send a Gift to a friend - 1 Incense
- Use an Incense - 50 Poké Balls
- Catch 20 Pokémon - 3 Nanab Berries
Rewards: 50 Poké Balls, 1 Lucky Egg and Ho-Oh Wing
'Pokémon Go Tour: Johto' Step 2 of 9
'Pokémon Go Tour: Johto' Step 3 of 9
- Claim reward - An encounter with your chosen starter Pokémon
- Catch 15 different species of Pokémon - 25 Candy for your chosen starter Pokémon
- Evolve your Totodile / Cyndaquil / Chikorita - 1 Poffin
Rewards: Dunsparce encounter, Lugia Mask and 25 Ledyba Candy for Gold Version players or 25 Spinarak Candy for Silver players
'Pokémon Go Tour: Johto' Step 4 of 9
- Defeat 3 Team Go Rocket members - 5 Revives
- Purify 3 Shadow Pokémon - 500 Stardust
- Earn 3000 Stardust - 1 Super Potion
Rewards: 3 Rocket Radars, Qwilfish encounter and 25 Mantine Candy for Gold Version players or 25 Phanpy Candy for Silver players
'Pokémon Go Tour: Johto' Step 5 of 9
- Complete 3 Field Research Tasks - 50 Poké Balls
- Make 5 Great Throws - 2 Metal Coats
- Catch 20 Pokémon - 50 Candy for your chosen starter Pokémon
Rewards: 3 Rocket Radars, shiny Gyarados encounter and 50 Candy for your chosen starter Pokémon
'Pokémon Go Tour: Johto' Step 6 of 9
- Evolve your Bayleef / Quilava / Croconaw - 50 Great Balls
- Power up Pokémon 5 times - 100 Stardust
- Earn a Candy walking with your buddy - 2 Sun Stones
Rewards: 1 Egg Incubator, Stantler encounter and 25 Ledyba Candy for Gold Version players or 25 Spinarak Candy for Silver players
'Pokémon Go Tour: Johto' Step 7 of 9
- Send a Gift with a sticker - 25 Ultra Balls
- Hatch 2 Eggs - 1 Upgrade
- Complete 5 Field Research Tasks - 2 King's Rock
Rewards: 1 Lure Module, Hitmontop encounter and 25 Mantine Candy for Silver Version players or 25 Phanpy Candy for Gold players
'Pokémon Go Tour: Johto' Step 8 of 9
- Earn 3 hearts with your buddy - 1 Star Piece
- Make 3 Nice Throws in a row - 1000 XP
- Transfer 20 Pokémon - 3 Rare Candy
Rewards: 1000 Stardust, Celebi encounter and Ho-Oh T-Shirt for Gold players or Lugia T-Shirt for Silver players
'Pokémon Go Tour: Johto' Step 9 of 9
- Claim reward - 1000 XP
- Claim reward - 1500 Stardust
- Claim reward - 1000 XP
Rewards: 4500 Stardust, 1 Lure Module and 25 Celebi Candy
At this point, the Masterwork Research: Apex quest will automatically unlock.
The Season of Go has arrived! The Pokémon TCG Crossover event is here, which includes the release of Wimpod and Golisopod. While Go Fest 2022 may be behind us, there are still three special research quests you might be working on - Pokémon Go Fest 2022, Rhi's Arrival and A Radiant World. Meanwhile, the Great League and Great League and Great League Remix are currently running in the Go Battle League Season 11. This season has also seen the lowering of the level requirement for Candy XL and introduced the first Ultra Beast, Nihilego.
Tips on how to complete Pokémon Go Tour: Johto in Pokémon Go
Here are some tips which will help you complete the Pokémon Go Tour: Johto quest:
- Although this special research quest doesn't have a deadline, it is easier to complete during the Pokémon Go Tour: Johto event due to the increased spawn rate for certain Pokémon.
- Using a Star Piece will allow you to earn 50% more Stardust for 30 minutes.
- After battling a Team Go Rocket member, remember to heal your Pokémon using Potions and Revives since, unlike the Go Battle League, they don't heal automatically. Thankfully, these items can be easily collected by spinning PokéStops.
- If you're playing remotely, keep an eye out for Team Go Rocket Balloons.
- Both Incense and Lure Modules will allow you to attract Pokémon to your specific location.
How Pokémon Go Tour: Johto works in Pokémon Go
The Pokémon Go Tour: Johto was released as part of the Pokémon Go Tour: Johto event. To access this quest, you must first buy a Go Tour: Johto ticket and play Pokémon Go at least once during the event on Saturday, 26th February.
Once the quest is unlocked, however, you can take your time completing it and, after doing so, the Masterwork Research: Apex quest will be unlocked. This new Masterwork quest also lacks a deadline, so don't feel like you have to rush to complete either quest.
While Pokémon Go Tour: Johto is mostly structured like a regular research quest - having you complete a set of challenges and collect rewards until you can move to the next quest step - it differs slightly by having you select one the Gen 2 starter Pokémon and which version of Go Tour: Johto - Gold or Silver - you choose.
Depending on your choice of either Chikorita, Cyndaquil or Totodile, the dialogue for the quest, along with a couple of the challenges and rewards, will differ slightly. Thankfully, the overall rewards for this research quest are not altered by your decision.
Good luck completing the Pokémon Go Tour: Johto special research quest!