The Evolution Collection Challenge is one of the Collection Challenges for the Pokémon Go Tour: Johto event.
Like Go Tour: Kanto's Evolve Collection Challenge, it can only be completed by evolving specific Pokémon. A task which is made more complicated by Gen 2 having a number of item evolutions and Hitmontop's special evolution requirement.
Not to forget the mountain of candy you'll need for the regular Gen 2 evolutions - I hope you've been stocking up on Pinap Berries!
Below you'll find every Pokémon in the Evolution Collection Challenge and, remember, you have until 11pm on Saturday, 26th February to complete this challenge.
On this page:
How to get Espeon and Umbreon during Pokémon Go Tour: Johto
Gen 2 introduced two new Eevee evolutions - Espeon and Umbreon - and you need both for the Pokémon Go Tour: Johto's Evolution Collection Challenge.
Thankfully, the walking requirement for these evolutions has been removed during the Go Tour: Johto, which makes obtaining Espeon and Umbreon a little easier.
Instead, you need to make the Eevee you wish to evolve your buddy and then it will automatically evolve into Espeon during the day and Umbreon at night. This does mean that you will need to wait till night falls in Pokémon Go to complete the Evolution Collection Challenge.
By the same token, make sure you get Espeon before it is night in your region. If you miss the window, you can't complete the challenge!
You will also still need 25 Eevee Candy, meaning 50 Candy in total, for these evolutions.
If you haven't done so already, you can also use the Eevee naming trick to ensure you get Espeon and Umbreon. Keep in mind, however, that this trick only works once, which is a shame if you've already used it.
Evolutions with item requirements for the Pokémon Go Evolution Collection Challenge
Pokémon Gold and Silver introduced item evolution - triggering an evolution by trading a Pokémon when they're holding a specific item - and this feature was replicated, thankfully without the trading aspect, in Pokémon Go via special evolution items.
To achieve this, you need to meet the candy requirements and collect, or already have, the evolution items listed below:
- Bellossom - Sun Stone, 100 Oddish Candy and requires a Gloom
- Politoed - King's Rock, 100 Poliwag Candy and requires a Poliwhirl
- Sunflora - Sun Stone, 50 Sunkern Candy and requires a Sunkern
- Slowking - King's Rock, 50 Slowpoke Candy and requires a Slowpoke
- Steelix - Metal Coat, 50 Onix Candy and requires an Onix
- Scizor - Metal Coat, 50 Scyther Candy and requires a Scyther
- Kingdra - Dragon Scale, 100 Horsea Candy and requires a Seadra
- Porygon2 - Upgrade, 25 Porygon Candy and requires a Porygon
The evolution items listed above can be earned by completing the Pokémon Go Tour: Johto Special Research quest, so don't worry if you're running low, and, instead, take the time to complete the research quest.
Depending on where you are in your PokéStop spinning streak, you might also earn an evolution item by reaching Day Seven. Keep in mind, though, that this item is randomly selected, so you might not get the one you need.
When it comes to collecting the required candy, you'll be happy to know that certain Pokémon are appearing in the wild until 9pm (local time) on Saturday, 26th February - the Go Tour: Johto day itself.
This will help you collect any candy you might need for the evolutions listed above, especially if you make sure to use Pinap Berries when catching them.
Here are the Gen 1 Pokémon which are appearing in the wild throughout Go Tour: Johto:
Evolutions with only candy requirements and rewards for the Evolution Collection Challenge in Pokémon Go listed
Aside from the Pokémon listed above, you'll also have to complete all of the regular Gen 2 evolutions to complete the Evolution Collection Challenge for Pokémon Go Tour: Johto. This will involve hunting down Pokémon from across Gen 2, maybe a little trading and, probably, an awful lot of Pinap Berries.
Remember - you must complete this challenge by 11pm on Saturday, 26th February if you want to add it to your Elite Collector medal and all of the Pokémon must be acquired through evolution.
Here are the 31 regular evolutions on the Evolution Collection Challenge list:
- Bayleef (Chikorita and 25 Chikorita Candy)
- Meganium (Bayleef and 100 Chikorita Candy)
- Quilava (Cyndaquil and 25 Cyndaquil Candy)
- Typhlosion (Quilava and 100 Cyndaquil Candy)
- Croconaw (Totodile and 25 Totodile Candy)
- Feraligatr (Croconaw and 100 Totodile Candy)
- Furret (Sentret and 25 Sentret Candy)
- Noctowl (Hoothoot and 50 Hoothoot Candy)
- Ledian (Ledyba and 25 Ledyba Candy)
- Ariados (Spinarak and 50 Spinarak Candy)
- Crobat (Golbat and 100 Zubat Candy)
- Lanturn (Chinchou and 50 Chinchou Candy)
- Xatu (Natu and 50 Natu Candy)
- Flaaffy (Mareep and 25 Mareep Candy)
- Ampharos (Flaaffy and 100 Mareep Candy)
- Azumarill (Marill and 25 Marill Candy)
- Skiploom (Hoppip and 25 Hoppip Candy)
- Jumpluff (Skiploom and 100 Hoppip Candy)
- Quagsire (Wooper and 50 Wooper Candy)
- Forretress (Pineco and 50 Pineco Candy)
- Granbull (Snubbull and 50 Snubbull Candy)
- Ursaring (Teddiursa and 50 Teddiursa Candy)
- Magcargo (Slugma and 50 Slugma Candy)
- Piloswine (Swinub and 25 Swinub Candy)
- Octillery (Remoraid and 50 Remoraid Candy)
- Houndoom (Houndour and 50 Houndour Candy)
- Donphan (Phanpy and 50 Phanpy Candy)
- Blissey (Chansey and 50 Chansey Candy)
- Pupitar (Larvitar and 25 Larvitar Candy)
- Tyranitar (Pupitar and 100 Larvitar Candy)
Remember - you must receive the Pokémon for this Collection Challenge via evolution for them to count towards your progress.
For completing the Evolution Collection Challenge, you'll receive 25100 XP, 3 Rare Candy and 1 Starpiece.
Tips for completing the Evolution Collection Challenge in Pokémon Go
Here are some tips which will help you complete the Evolution Collection Challenge in Pokémon Go:
- You have until 11pm on Saturday, 26th February to complete this Evolution Collection Challenge - that's two hours after the Catch Challenges end.
- Make sure you check your Pokémon Storage to see if you have any stage one or two Pokémon which can be evolved for this Collection Challenge. You may even have the right amount of candy saved!
- Don't forget - a number of Gen 1 Pokémon will be appearing through Go Tour: Johto to make achieving some of these evolutions easier.
- Complete the Pokémon Go Tour: Johto Special Research alongside this challenge to collect important evolution items, like the Sun Stone and King's Rock.
- Always check the stats of a Tyrogue before evolving it, since it might not evolve into the Pokémon you want!
- Use Pinap Berries when catching Pokémon to double the amount of candy you'll receive when catching them.
- You can also use any spare Rare Candy to get candy from a specific Pokémon.
- Using Incense will attract Pokémon to your location.
- Lure Modules attract Pokémon to specific PokéStops and there are four special Lure Modules - Glacial, Magnetic, Mossy and Rainy - which can attract specific Pokémon types.
The Season of Go has arrived! The 6th Anniversary is here, which includes the return of Zapdos. While Go Fest 2022 may be behind us, there are still three special research quests you might be working on - Pokémon Go Fest 2022, Rhi's Arrival and A Radiant World. This season has also seen the lowering of the requirement for Candy XL and introduced the first Ultra Beast, Nihilego.
How the Evolution Collection Challenge works in Pokémon Go
The Evolution Collection Challenge is part of the Pokémon Go Tour: Johto event and is available until 11pm on Saturday, 26th February.
To have access to this Collection Challenge, you must purchase a Go Tour: Johto ticket; you'll receive this challenge no matter which version - Gold or Silver - you choose.
Collection Challenges are located in the 'Today View' screen, which is accessed by pressing the field research button (the little binoculars) in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen. You may have to scroll down to find this specific Collection Challenge.
After accessing 'Today View,' you'll find a list of the Pokémon you need to catch for this Collection Challenge. Evolving a Pokémon for this Collection Challenge will tick it off the list to help you keep track of which Pokémon you still need to obtain.
It's important to remember that only Pokémon obtained via evolution will count towards this Collection Challenge. This means that any Pokémon caught in the wild, through raids, traded for, Shadow Pokémon or hatched from eggs will be exempt.
You have until 11pm on Saturday, 26th February to complete this Collection Challenge and, if you miss this deadline, it won't be added to your Elite Collector medal.
Good luck completing this Collection Challenge and hope you enjoy Go Tour: Johto!