Yveltal, the mascot for Pokémon Y for the Nintendo 3DS, can be battled in Pokémon Go.
If you want to add this death bird god to your Pokémon Go Pokédex, then you need to have a good understanding of Yveltal's counters and weaknesses.
Like all legendary Pokémon, Yveltal appears in five-star raids and, to ensure its defeat, you'll want to battle it alongside a group of trainers, which, thanks to Remote Raid passes, you can compete in at home.
On this page:
Yveltal counters and weaknesses in Pokémon Go
Below you can find Yveltal's weaknesses, along with some counters, in Pokémon Go:
- Yveltal type - Dark and flying-type
- Yveltal is weak against - Electric, fairy, ice and rock-types
- Yveltal counters - For electric-types, Zapdos, Raikou, Electivire, Thundurus, Zekrom and Xurkitree. For fairy-types, Togekiss, Gardevoir and Granbull. For ice-types, Mamoswine, Abomasnow and Galarian Darmanitan. For rock-types, Tyranitar, Rhyperior, Rampardos, Gigalith and Terrakion.
- Other Yveltal notes - An easy way to defeat Yveltal is to focus on rock and electric-type Pokémon to take advantage of it's part flying-type nature. Use ice and fairy-types as a backup if your other options are knocked out.
Yveltal CP in Pokémon Go
Here are the CP ranges you can expect to see when battling or attempting to catch Yveltal in Pokémon Go:
- Raid Boss CP - 45,899 CP
- Max CP when being caught - 2073 to 2160 CP
- Weather boosted max CP (Fog) when being caught - 2591 to 2701 CP
Yveltal Moveset in Pokémon Go
Our recommendation for Yveltal's best moveset is Gust (Fast Move) and Hurricane (Charged Move). If you have the candy and stardust to unlock Yveltal's second Charged move, we recommend teaching it Dark Pulse to take advantage of this Pokémon's dark-typing.
Yveltal can use a variety of Fast and Charged moves in Pokémon Go, which includes:
Possible Fast Moves:
- Gust (Flying)
- Snarl (Dark)
- Sucker Punch (Dark)
Possible Charged Moves:
- Dark Pulse (Dark)
- Focus Blast (Fighting)
- Hurricane (Flying)
- Hyper Beam (Normal)
- Psychic (Psychic)
Currently available is the Astral Eclipse event, which brings the A Cosmic Companion special research quest of the Season of Light to a close. You can also finally evolve Cosmoem into Solgaleo or Lunala! Elsewhere, be sure to use Daily Adventure Incense for the chance of encountering Galarian Articuno, Galarian Zapdos and Galarian Moltres.
Everything we know about Yveltal
Alongside Xerneas and Zygarde, Yveltal is a member of the Aura Trio who make their home in the Kalos region.
Being the counterpart of Xerneas, Yveltal is a representative of death - stealing away life energy rather than giving it. When Yveltal's own lifespan reaches its end, this legendary Pokémon uses its wing to steal all of the life energy from the land around it before going to sleep in a cocoon for a thousand years.
While Yveltal sleeps, Xerneas plays their part in the cycle, bringing life to the world, and, if this cycle is ever disturbed, then Zygarde comes forth.
Considering it's status as a literal death bird god, it's possible that Yveltal, and in turn the Aura Trio itself, has taken some inspiration from the Morrigan from Celtic mythology.
The Morrigan is a shape-shifting goddess associated with war and fate. She was often depicted as a crow, flying across the battlefield, deciding which warriors should live and which should die. The Morrigan is also considered to be a triple goddess and sometimes appears as a trinity alongside her sisters Badb and Macha.
Good luck catching Yveltal in Pokémon Go!