Even if you’re an experienced trainer, however, you still need to know Tapu Koko counters and weaknesses to get the edge.
And if you were wondering, Tapu Koko can be shiny in Pokémon Go – in case you needed another incentive to get a few battles in before it cycles out of rotation.
On this page:
Tapu Koko counters and weaknesses in Pokémon Go
Beating a Tapu Koko in a raid will give you the opportunity to catch the Land Spirit Pokémon. Below you’ll find the counters and weaknesses for Tapu Koko to help you achieve this:
- Tapu Koko type – Electric and Fairy
- Tapu Koko is weak against – Poison and Ground types
- Best Tapu Koko counters – Nihilego and Roserade are your go-to Poison types, but focusing on Ground is probably the way to go, as there are more high-power options to pick from. Landorus (Therian/sky cat), Excadrill, Mamoswine, Garchomp, Rhyperior and Groudon all outperform Roserade.
- Tapu Koko resistances – Tapu Koko has a strong resistance against bug, dark, electric and fighting types. It is also partly resistant to dragon moves.
- Other Tapu Koko notes – As a fairy and electric-type, Tapu Koko has a good list of resistances, inclusing Dragon. Make sure you bring a strong team of Ground or Poison-type attackers, and if you raid with friends, bring some Mega Evolved Pokémon of the same type: Mega Gengar or Mega Swampert are ideal, but even Mega Beedrill or Mega Venusaur will work wonders here.
Tapu Koko CP in Pokémon Go
Here you can find the CP levels for battling and attempting to catch Tapu Koko in Pokémon Go:
- Tapu Koko Raid CP – 45,438
- CP range for catching Tapu Koko – 1730 to 1810
- Weather (Rain or Overcast) boosted CP range – 2162 to 2263
- Max Tapu Koko CP – 3582
The Season of Timeless Travels is drawing to a close in Pokémon Go. During it, take the time to try out Routes, Gift Exchange and Party Play while you're hunting down rare Pokémon, fighting in the Go Battle League or competing in PokéStop Showcases.
Tapu Koko best moveset in Pokémon Go
Our Tapu Koko best moveset recommendation is Volt Switch (Electric, Fast) with Dazzling Gleam (Fairy, Charged) and Thunderbolt (Electric, Charged) if you can afford a second Charged move.
Here is the complete set of Tapu Koko Fast and Charged moves in Pokémon Go:
- Quick Attack (Normal)
- Volt Switch (Electric)
- Brave Bird (Flying)
- Dazzling Gleam (Fairy)
- Thunder (Electric)
- Thunderbolt (Electric)
Everything else we know about Tapu Koko
Tapu Koko was released in Pokémon Go in summer 2022, although shiny Tapu Koko was released in January 2023. You can see a preview of the shiny version below.
As you can see, shiny Tapu Koko drops all of its yellow for a much darker look, and trades its orange for a peach colour. This black and peach combo is quite unusual in Pokémon, and looks pretty cool – we’re both impressed and eager to get our hands on one. Thanks to Reddit user TopAssistance2 for the handy comparison.
Tapu Koko is one of four ‘sub’ Legendaries to be released in 2017’s Sun and Moon, and were some of the game’s best due to their dedicated Z Moves, abilities and superb stats.
In the main games, Tapu Koko is the first you’ll encounter once the Elite Four has been defeated in the Ruins of Conflict.
Meanwhile, the official Pokédex entry describes them as: 'Although it’s called a guardian deity, if a person or Pokémon puts it in a bad mood, it will become a malevolent deity and attack.'
Good luck catching Tapu Koko in Pokémon Go!