The Luminous Legends Y event in Pokémon Go is an event divided into two halves - the first celebrating the release of Yveltal and dark-type Pokémon, while the second returns to fairy-type Pokémon with the release of Sylveon.
Throughout this event, you'll be able to complete the Luminous Legends Y timed research quest and a variety of exclusive field research tasks for a variety of rewards.
On this page:
'Luminous Legends Y' quest steps in Pokémon Go
Below you'll find all the challenges and rewards for the Luminous Legends Y research quest in Pokémon Go. This section does contain spoilers for the whole quest, so, if you want to be surprised, we recommend skipping it.
The Luminous Legends Y research quest is a timed research quest, which means you must complete it before the event ends if you wish to collect all of the rewards.
Thank you to Amiibofan101 from reddit for the help with this information!
'Luminous Legends Y' Step 1 of 7
- Defeat 5 Team Go Rocket Grunts - 15 Poké Balls
- Catch 5 Shadow Pokémon - Meowth encounter
- Catch 5 Dark-type Pokémon - Alolan Rattata encounter
Rewards: 1000 XP and a Stunky encounter
'Luminous Legends Y' Step 2 of 7
- Purify 3 Shadow Pokémon - 5 Hyper Potion
- Purify 5 Shadow Pokémon - 3 Revives
- Purify 7 Shadow Pokémon - 1 Mysterious Component
Rewards: 2000 XP and an Alolan Rattata encounter
'Luminous Legends Y' Step 3 of 7
- Defeat Team Go Rocket Leader Arlo - 2000 XP
- Defeat Team Go Rocket Leader Cliff - 2000 XP
- Defeat Team Go Rocket Leader Sierra - 2000 XP
Rewards: 2000 XP and a Murkrow encounter
'Luminous Legends Y' Step 4 of 7
- Purify 8 Shadow Pokémon - 1 Mossy Lure Module
- Evolve 8 Pokémon - Eevee encounter
- Earn 8 hearts with your buddy - 1 Glacial Lure Module
Rewards: 3000 XP and a Mightyena encounter
'Luminous Legends Y' Step 5 of 7
- Defeat 8 Team Go Rocket Grunts - 7 Pinap Berries
- Use an Incense - Galarian Zigzagoon encounter
- Catch 20 Dark-type Pokémon - Sneasel encounter
Rewards: 3000 XP and an Alolan Meowth encounter
'Luminous Legends Y' Step 6 of 7
- Complete 7 Fields Research tasks - 10 Great Balls
- Win 1 raid - Houndoom encounter
- Catch 5 different species of Dark-type Pokémon - Alolan Grimer encounter
Rewards: 4000 XP and an Absol encounter
'Luminous Legends Y' Step 7 of 7
- Purify 10 Shadow Pokémon - 1 Poffin
- Defeat a Team Go Rocket Leader 3 times - Galarian Zigzagoon encounter
- Catch 12 Shadow Pokémon - Larvitar encounter
Rewards: 5000 Stardust and a Deino encounter
Field research tasks and everything you need to know about the Luminous Legends Y event
The second part of the Luminous Legends Y event has arrived in Pokémon Go and it will run till the end of the event on Monday, 31st May at 8pm (local time).
A new host of bonuses comes with the second half of this event, including a new rooster of event exclusive field research tasks. These tasks can be collected by spinning PokéStops and saved to be completed once the event ends if you so wish.
Here are the field research tasks for the second part of the Luminous Legends Y event:
- Take a snapshot of a Fairy-type Pokémon reward - Eevee encounter
- Defeat 2 Team Go Rocket Grunts reward - Umbreon encounter
- Earn 3 hearts from your Buddy reward - Eevee encounter
- Earn 5 hearts from your Buddy reward - Clefairy encounter
- Purify 3 Shadow Pokémon reward - Espeon encounter
- Win a raid reward - Galarian Zigzagoon encounter
Thank you to SilphScience from reddit for the help with this information.
The centrepiece of Luminous Legends Y's second half is the release of Sylveon - the fairy-type Eeveelution - into Pokémon Go. Just like the previous Eeveelutions, Sylveon has both a name trick and a unique evolution method, which you can learn about on our Eevee evolution page.
To celebrate Sylveon's release, Vaporeon, Jolteon, Flareon, Espeon and Umbreon will all be appearing in three-star raids. While Eevee will be available in one-star raids and Yveltal will continue to appear in five-star raids.
You'll also be able to fight the Mega Evolutions of Altaria, Ampharos and Houndoom in Mega Raids.
The 7km egg pool has been altered once more to include the following Pokémon all on Tier One:
Fairy-type Pokémon have also started reappearing more frequently in the wild again, so keep an eye out for the following:
There will still be a number of dark-type Pokémon lurking about as well.
Global Challenge and rewards for the Luminous Legends Y event in Pokémon Go explained
During the first half of the Luminous Legends Y event in Pokémon Go, players from around the world can come together to complete a Global Challenge.
We collectively have until 11:59pm UTC on Sunday, 23rd May to defeat 25 million Team Go Rocket Grunts. You can keep check in the worldwide progress for this challenge by visiting the official Pokémon Go Twitter for the occasional update.
If we manage to defeat all of these villainous trainers, then a triple Catch XP bonus, the release of shiny Galarian Zigzagoon and for Galarian Zigzagoon to appear in one-star raids untill the event ends.
The Season of Mythical Wishes has seen Kecleon finally being released in Pokémon Go! The Lunar New Year event has also returned for 2023! Don't forget to partake in the new Go Battle League season. Elsewhere, be sure to use Daily Adventure Incense for the chance of encountering Galarian Articuno, Galarian Zapdos and Galarian Moltres.
Luminous Legends Y dates and times in Pokémon Go
The Luminous Legends Y event in Pokémon Go, along with its timed research quest, runs from Tuesday, 18th May at 10am (local time) to Monday, 31st May at 8pm (local time).
An important fact to remember about the Luminous Legends Y event is that, while it is running for those two weeks, it's also divided into two halves - each with their own set of releases, raid bosses and other bonuses.
The first half, running from Tuesday 18th May at 10am (local time) till Monday, 24th May at 8pm (local time), is focused upon dark-type Pokémon and Team Go Rocket.
Meanwhile, the second half, is themed around the release of Sylveon, the fairy-type eevolution, and is running from Tuesday, 25th May at 10am (local time) to Monday, 31st May at 8pm (local time).
As mentioned, the Luminous Legends Y timed research throughout both halves of the events, meaning you definitely have enough to complete each of the seven steps and every individual challenge. Just remember - this research quest will vanish when the event ends, so, if you want all of the rewards, make sure you complete it before the deadline.
Hope you enjoy the Luminous Legends Y event!