Pokémon Go A Professor's Work Is Never Done quest tasks and rewards explained
Even though it's you doing all the work.
A Professor's Work Is Never Done is the Giovanni Special Research for February 2020 and the fifth instalment in the Team Go Rocket invasion story-line in Pokémon Go.
This quest-line began in A Troubling Situation, before continuing in Looming in the Shadows, A Challenging Development and The Take-Over Continues.
This set of Special Research Tasks will have you once again battling the Team Go Rocket leaders and purifying Shadow Pokémon, until you can hunt down Giovanni to fight his latest Legendary Shadow Pokémon.
On this page:
How 'A Professor's Work Is Never Done' works in Pokémon Go
A Professor's Work Is Never Done is the February 2020 Giovanni Special Research quest.
You can only start A Professor's Work Is Never Done if you've completed both A Troubling Situation and any unfinished Giovanni Special Research quests, such as January's The Take-Over Continues, that you might have.
If you do have an unfinished Giovanni's Special Research quest, then you must complete that set of challenges first to unlock A Professor's Work Is Never Done.
It's also important to note that you'll skip straight to A Professor's Work Is Never Done, no matter where you are in the story-line. This means if you complete November's Looming in the Shadows in February 2020, you'll automatically start A Professor's Work Is Never Done, rather than January's Giovanni Special Research quest - The Take-Over Continues.
A Professor's Work Is Never Done consists of six quest steps, which each have three individual challenges for you to complete.
The goal of A Professor's Work Is Never Done is to find Giovanni and defeat him to earn an opportunity to catch the current month's Legendary Shadow Pokémon, which, for February 2020, is Shadow Raikou.
How to complete each quest step of 'A Professor's Work Is Never Done' in Pokémon Go
Below you'll find the six quest steps, with the three individual challenges, for A Professor's Work Is Never Done.
Be warned though - this section does contain spoilers for both the challenges and rewards for each step in this new quest.
'A Professor's Work Is Never Done' Step 1 of 6
- Spin 10 PokéStops (Encounter with Sandslash)
- Defeat 3 Team Go Rocket Grunts (500 XP)
- Catch 1 Shadow Pokémon (500 XP)
Rewards: 500 Stardust, 10 Poké Balls and 10 Razz Berries
'A Professor's Work Is Never Done' Step 2 of 6
- Spin a PokéStop 3 days in a row (750 XP)
- Purify 5 Shadow Pokémon (750 XP)
- Win 5 Raids (750 XP)
Rewards: 1,000 Stardust, 3 Hyper Potions and 3 Revives
'A Professor's Work Is Never Done' Step 3 of 6
- Use 6 super effective charge attacks in Gym battles (1,000 XP)
- Win 3 Great League Trainer Battles against another Trainer (1,000 XP)
- Defeat 6 Team Go Rocket Grunts (1,000 XP)
Rewards: 1,500 Stardust, 15 Great Balls and 5 Pinap Berries
'A Professor's Work Is Never Done' Step 4 of 6
- Defeat Team Go Rocket Leader Arlo (1,250 XP)
- Defeat Team Go Rocket Leader Cliff (1,250 XP)
- Defeat Team Go Rocket Leader Sierra (1,250 XP)
Rewards: 2,000 XP, Super Rocket Radar and 3 Golden Razz Berries
'A Professor's Work Is Never Done' Step 5 of 6
- Find the Team Go Rocket Boss (2,500 Stardust)
- Fight the Team Go Rocket Boss (1,500 XP)
- Defeat the Team Go Rocket Boss (3 Silver Pinap Berries)
Rewards: 3,000 Stardust, 1 Fast TM and 1 Charged TM
'A Professor's Work Is Never Done' Step 6 of 6
All three challenges for this step will have automatically been completed, allowing you to collect 2,000 XP for each one, which is 6,000 XP in total.
Rewards: 3 Max Revives, 3 Rare Candies and 20 Ultra Balls
The Season of Rising Heroes is here! The Let's Go event is currently running and it has brought the Let's GO! quest with it, along with a new list of Ditto disguises. As you continue your Pokémon Go adventure, make sure to battle Giovanni, the Team Go Rocket Leaders or in the new Go Battle League season. Don't forget to keep an eye out for Kecleon or, if you purchased it, work on the Masterwork Research: Wish Granted quest. Elsewhere, be sure to use Daily Adventure Incense for the chance of encountering Galarian Articuno, Galarian Zapdos and Galarian Moltres. This incense may also give you encounters with other rare Pokémon in Pokémon Go.
Other things to know about 'A Professor's Work Is Never Done' in Pokémon Go
Here are some tips to help you complete A Professor's Work Is Never Done:
- Invaded PokéStops have a sickly purple colour and shake occasionally.
- Make sure you stock up on Potions and Revives before confronting a member of Team Go Rocket, especially the leaders, because their Shadow Pokémon are a lot stronger than regular Pokémon.
- Use Razz and Nanab Berries to calm Shadow Pokémon down, which will make them easier to catch.
- If you're having trouble finding Giovanni try visiting your local Pokémon Go Facebook page or Discord - somebody might have an idea about where he is.
- The Team Go Rocket Leaders and Giovanni are far stronger than the Grunts, so it's a good idea to research which teams you might be facing.