Pokémon Go The Take-Over Continues quest tasks and rewards explained
Time to confront Team Go Rocket once again.
The Take-Over Continues, the Giovanni Special Research released in January 2020, is the fourth instalment in the Team Go Rocket invasion storytelling in Pokémon Go.
This plot-line began in A Troubling Situation, before continuing in Looming in the Shadows and A Challenging Development.
Throughout this set of Special Research Tasks, you'll have to battle members of Team Go Rocket, including the leaders - Arlo, Cliff and Sierra, purify Shadow Pokémon and, eventually, fight Giovanni, the leader of Team Go Rocket.
On this page:
How 'The Take-Over Continues' works in Pokémon Go
The Take-Over Continues is the January 2020 Giovanni Special Research quest.
You can only start The Take-Over Continues if you've completed both A Troubling Situation and any unfinished Giovanni Special Research quests, such as December's A Challenging Development, you might have.
If you do, however, have an unfinished Giovanni Special Research quest, then you must first complete that set of challenges to unlock The Take-Over Continues.
It's also important to note that you will skip straight to The Take-Over Continues, no matter where you are in the story. This means that if you complete November's Looming in the Shadows in January 2020, you'll automatically start The Take-Over Continues, rather than December 2019's Giovanni Special Research quest - A Challenging Development.
The Take-Over Continues consists of six different steps, which each have three individual challenges for you to complete.
Compared to the previous Giovanni Special Research quests, this one has slightly easier challenges. The number of Pokémon you need to purify for the second step, for example, has been decreased from 15 to five.
The goal of The Take-Over Continues is to find Giovanni and defeat him to earn an opportunity to catch the current month's Legendary Shadow Pokémon, such as Shadow Moltres in January 2020.
How to complete each quest step of 'The Take-Over Continues' in Pokémon Go
Below you'll find the quest steps for The Take-Over Continues.
Be careful, however, as there are spoilers for both the challenges and rewards for each step in this quest.
Thank you to fabianfl111 from reddit for the help with this information.
'The Take-Over Continues' Step 1 of 6
- Spin 10 PokéStops (Encounter with Sudowoodo)
- Defeat 3 Team Go Rocket Grunts (500 XP)
- Catch 1 Shadow Pokémon (500 XP)
Rewards: 500 Stardust, 10 PokéBalls and 10 Razz Berries
'The Take-Over Continues' Step 2 of 6
- Spin a PokéStop 3 days in a row (750 XP)
- Purify 5 Shadow Pokémon (750 XP)
- Win 5 Raids (750 XP)
Rewards: 1,000 Stardust, 3 Hyper Potions and 3 Revives
'The Take-Over Continues' Step 3 of 6
- Use 6 super effective charge attacks in Gym battles (1,000 XP)
- Win 3 Great League Trainer Battles against another Trainer (1,000 XP)
- Defeat 6 Team Go Rocket Grunts (1,000 XP)
Rewards: 1,500 Stardust, 15 Great Balls and 5 Pinap Berries
'The Take-Over Continues' Step 4 of 6
- Defeat Team Go Rocket Leader Arlo (1,250 XP)
- Defeat Team Go Rocket Leader Cliff (1,250 XP)
- Defeat Team Go Rocket Leader Sierra (1,250 XP)
Rewards: 2,000 XP, Super Rocket Radar and 3 Golden Razz Berries
'The Take-Over Continues' Step 5 of 6
- Find the Team Go Rocket Boss (2,500 Stardust)
- Fight the Team Go Rocket Boss (1,500 XP)
- Defeat the Team Go Rocket Boss (3 Silver Pinap Berries)
Rewards: 3,000 Stardust, 1 Fast TM and 1 Charged TM
'The Take-Over Continues' Step 6 of 6
All three challenges for this step will have automatically been completed, allowing you to collect 2,000 XP for each one. This means that you'll collect 6,000 XP in total.
Rewards: 3 Max Revives, 3 Rare Candies and 20 Ultra Balls
The Season of Rising Heroes will soon end, but, before it does, make sure you claim the Let's GO! quest so you can get a Master Ball. You can also partake in a new Shadow Raid. As you continue your Pokémon Go adventure, make sure to battle in the new Go Battle League season. Don't forget to take a look at the Remote Raid Passes changes or work on the Grass and Gratitude quest. Elsewhere, be sure to use Daily Adventure Incense for the chance of encountering Galarian Articuno, Galarian Zapdos and Galarian Moltres. This incense may also give you encounters with other rare Pokémon in Pokémon Go.
Other things to know about 'The Take-Over Continues' in Pokémon Go
Below you'll find a collection of tips to help you complete The Take-Over Continues:
- Make sure you use Razz and Nanab Berries to make catching Shadow Pokémon easier.
- Invaded PokéStops are a sickly purple and shake.
- Stock up on Potions and Revives before confronting Team Go Rocket - their Shadow Pokémon are a lot stronger than regular Pokémon.
- Giovanni and his Team Go Rocket Leaders are far stronger than the regular Grunts, so make sure you pick the right Pokémon for each fight.