The Johto Throwback Challenge in Pokémon Go is a special quest desired to celebrate both the second generation of Pokémon and the games that accompanied it.
Throughout this challenge you'll be able to catch Pokémon that reference both the Gym Leaders and storyline of Pokémon Gold and Silver.
On this page:
How 'Throwback Challenge 2020: Johto' works in Pokémon Go
The Johto Throwback Challenge works like the other Research quests that were introduced in March 2018, where players complete various tasks for special rewards.
You'll progress through eight quest steps in Johto Throwback Challenge, which reference both the storyline and Gym leaders from Pokémon Gold, Silver and Crystal. During the fourth quest steps, for example, you'll earn an encounter with a Sudowoodo, which you had to battle before reaching the fourth gym.
Unlike the recent paid-for quests in Pokémon Go, this event is free for all players. The catch, however, is that you only have a week to access and complete the entirety of Johto Throwback Challenge, so make sure you don't fall behind.
'Throwback Challenge 2020: Johto' dates and times in Pokémon Go explained
The Johto Throwback Challenge is the second of five special Throwback Challenges running week-by-week from the beginning of May 2020.
'Throwback Challenge 2020: Johto' is running between Friday, May 8th 2020 till Friday, May 15th 2020. It both starts and ends at 1pm local time.
If you've already completed the Kanto Throwback Challenge from last week, ensure you also complete both this week's Throwback Challenge and the upcoming two in the following weeks. Doing so will unlock a special 'Throwback Challenge Champion 2020' event from June 3rd to June 8th.
New to the game is a long overdue Mega Evolution update, which has arrived alongside the A Mega Moment research. May 2022 in Pokémon Go includes the Water Festival, which celebrates the release of Dewpider and Araquanid. Tapu Fini has also been released alongside A Poni Adventure - the last Alola region-themed special research quest. Currently both the Ultra League and Element Cup are running in the Go Battle League. Elsewhere, we've recently seen the release of more Gen 7 Pokémon as part of the Season of Alola. The first details surrounding Go Fest 2022 have also been announced, including the event date.
'Throwback Challenge 2020: Johto' quest steps in Pokémon Go explained
Below you'll find all the steps and confirmed rewards for the Johto Throwback quests. Be warned - this section does contain spoilers for the entire quest, so, if you don't want to know, then it's best to skip ahead.
Thank you to ProShashank from reddit for the help with that information.
'Johto Throwback Challenge' Step 1 of 9
- Catch 3 Fire, Grass or Water-type Pokémon - 10 Poké Balls
- Send a Gift to a friend - Dunsparce encounter
- Catch a Flying-type Pokémon - 500 Stardust
Rewards: 1x Silver Pinap berry, 2x Golden Razz berries and a Xatu encounter
'Johto Throwback Challenge' Step 2 of 9
- Play with your buddy - Spinarak encounter
- Give your buddy 3 treats - 5x Razz berries
- Catch a Bug-type Pokémon - 500 Stardust
Rewards: 2x Silver Pinap berries, 1x Golden Razz berry and a Pineco encounter
'Johto Throwback Challenge' Step 3 of 9
- Make 3 Great Throws - 1x Charge TM
- Hatch an Egg - Snubbull encounter
- Catch a Normal-type Pokémon - 500 Stardust
Rewards: 1x Silver Pinap berry, 2x Golden Razz berries and a Miltank encounter
'Johto Throwback Challenge' Step 4 of 9
- Evolve a Pokémon - Sudowoodo encounter
- Catch 5 different species of Pokémon - 10x Great Balls
- Catch a Ghost-type Pokémon - 500 Stardust
Rewards: 2x Silver Pinap berries, 1x Golden Razz berry and a Misdreavus encounter
'Johto Throwback Challenge' Step 5 of 9
- Take a snapshot of your buddy - Shuckle encounter
- Make 4 Curveball Throws - Mantine encounter
- Catch a Fighting-type Pokémon - 500 Stardust
Rewards: 1x Silver Pinap berry, 2x Golden Razz berries and a Hitmontop encounter
'Johto Throwback Challenge' Step 6 of 9
- Catch an Electric-type Pokémon - 1x Incense
- Power up a Pokémon 3 times - Mareep encounter
- Catch a Steel-type Pokémon - 500 Stardust
Rewards: 2x Silver Pinap berries, 1x Golden Razz berry and a Skarmory encounter
'Johto Throwback Challenge' Step 7 of 9
- Evolve a Pokémon - King's Rock
- Catch a Water-type Pokémon - Gligar encounter
- Catch an Ice-type Pokémon - 500 Stardust
Rewards: 1x Silver Pinap berry, 2x Golden Razz berries and a Piloswine encounter
'Johto Throwback Challenge' Step 8 of 9
- Take a Snapshot of an Ice-type Pokémon - Dragon Scale
- Battle another trainer - 10x Ultra Balls
- Power up a Pokémon 6 times - 500 Stardust
Rewards: 2x Silver Pinap berries, 1 Golden Razz berry and a Donphan encounter
'Johto Throwback Challenge' Step 9 of 9
- Claim reward - 3000 XP
- Claim reward - 3000 XP
- Claim reward - 3000 XP
Rewards: 5 Rare Candy and an encounter with a Ho-Oh that knows that move Earthquake
If you're very lucky, then you might even get the chance to catch a shiny Ho-Oh!
Johto Throwback Challenge 2020 research tasks in Pokémon Go explained
Alongside the quest found above, there are a variety of special Johto Throwback Challenge themed Research Tasks available from spinning PokéStops.
These tasks are:
- Catch 3 Normal-type Pokémon reward - Dunsparce
- Catch 3 Fire-type Pokémon reward - Quilava
- Use 5 berries to help catch Pokémon reward - Pineco
- Make 3 Curveball Throws reward - Noctowl
- Hatch an Egg reward - Phanpy
- Earn a heart with your buddy reward - Bayleef
- Play with your buddy reward - Totodile
- Trade a Pokémon reward - Aipom
Thank you to SilphScience on reddit for confirming these tasks.
As per usual, these Research Tasks will only appear for the duration of this event, but, if you do collect one, then you can hold onto it and complete it once the event has ended.
Will you support Eurogamer?