The Hoenn Collection Challenge in Pokémon Go is part of the Hoenn Celebration, which, in turn, is part of the month-long run up to the Pokémon Go Tour: Kanto event in February.
Collection Challenges involve you catching a list of specific Pokéon connected to the event currently running in Pokémon Go. During the Hoenn Collection Challenge, you'll be tasked with catching a number of Gen 3 Pokémon.
You can find the Pokémon you need for the Hoenn Collection Challenge by completing raids, hatching eggs, completing the Hoenn Celebration field research tasks or simply by encountering them in the wild.
On this page:
- List of Pokémon and rewards for the Hoenn Collection Challenge in Pokémon Go explained
- Tips for completing the Hoenn Collection Challenge in Pokémon Go
- Field research tasks for the Hoenn Celebration event in Pokémon Go
- Hoenn Celebration Research quest in Pokémon Go explained
- How the Hoenn Collection Challenge works in Pokémon Go
List of Pokémon and rewards for the Hoenn Collection Challenge in Pokémon Go explained
The Hoenn Collection Challenge in Pokémon Go consists of nine Gen 3 Pokémon originating from the Hoenn region.
The Pokémon you need to catch are:
- Treecko (in the wild, one-star raids and field research tasks)
- Torchic (in the wild, one-star raids and field research tasks)
- Mudkip (in the wild, one-star raids and field research tasks)
- Nincada (in the wild)
- Nosepass (in the wild)
- Aron (in the wild, one-star raids and 5km eggs)
- Plusle (field research tasks - 'Catch 11 Pokémon')
- Minun (field research tasks - 'Catch 11 Pokémon')
- Bagon (5km eggs and one-star raids)
Once you've completed the Hoenn Collection Challenge, you'll receive 5000 XP, 3 Silver Pinap Berries and an Incense.
Tips for completing the Hoenn Collection Challenge in Pokémon Go
Here are some tips and tricks to help you complete the Hoenn Collection Challenge in Pokémon Go:
- Placing a Lure Module at a PokéStop is a great way to bring Pokémon to your location. Both the Magnetic Lure Module, which attracts electric, steel and rock-type Pokémon, and the Mossy Lure Module, which attracts bug, grass and poison-type Pokémon, are especially useful for the Hoenn Collection Challenge.
- If you don't want to use a Lure Module, then you can always use Incense to attract Pokémon to your exact location for an hour.
- If you're having trouble finding Bagon, then start hatching some 5km eggs that you've collected during the Hoenn Celebration event.
- The Hoenn starter Pokémon and Aron can all be found in one-star raids, which you can now participate in remotely.
- Encounters with Pokémon for the Hoenn Collection Challenge can also be earned by completing field research task exclusive to the Hoenn Celebration event. You can learn more about these tasks, along with their rewards, in the section below.
It's the the Season of Timeless Travels in Pokémon Go, so make sure you complete the Timeless Travels quest! The Road to Sinnoh is leading us into this weekends Go Tour: Sinnoh Global event, while also bringing the Masterwork Research: Glimmers of Gratitude quest. During it, take the time to try out Routes, Gift Exchange and Party Play while you're hunting down rare Pokémon, fighting in the Go Battle League or competing in PokéStop Showcases.
Field research tasks for the Hoenn Celebration event in Pokémon Go
You can collect and complete a number of special field research tasks as part of the Hoenn Celebration event in Pokémon Go. It's even possible to complete these tasks after the event ends, as long as they're stored in your field research collection.
If you want to complete the Hoenn Collection Challenge, however, it's a good idea to complete these field research tasks during the event, because you earn an encounter with a Pokémon you need to catch.
Below you can find the exclusive Hoenn Celebration field research tasks, along with their rewards:
- Catch 3 Weather-boosted Pokémon reward - Treecko, Torchic or Mudkip encounter
- Catch 11 Pokémon reward - Plusle or Minun encounter
- Power up Pokémon 5 times reward - Aron encounter
- Power up Pokémon 9 times reward - Wailmer encounter
Thank you to SilphScience from reddit for the help with this information!
Hoenn Celebration Research quest in Pokémon Go explained
Aside from the Collection Challenge, the Hoenn Celebration event in Pokémon Go also has a special timed research quest for you to completely, aptly named Hoenn Celebration event.
Since this is a timed research quest, you'll only have till the end of the Hoenn Celebration event to complete it, which makes the deadline Sunday, 24th Jaunary 8pm (local time). If you don't complete the Hoenn Celebration Research quest by this time, then it will vanish forever and you won't be able to earn the rewards.
Thankfully the quest is quite short and, due to Remote Raid Passes and Incense, you can complete it without having to step outside.
Below you can find the three challenge the Hoenn Celebration Research consists of:
'Hoenn Celebration Research' Step 1 of 1
- Catch 2 Groudon - x10 Groudon Candy
- Catch 2 Kyogre - x10 Kyogre Candy
- Catch 30 Pokémon - x30 PokéBalls
How the Hoenn Collection Challenge works in Pokémon Go
Collection Challenges in Pokémon Go were released in January 2021 and run alongside a number of in-game events. Each Collection Challenge will see you catching a number of Pokémon that, thanks to the event, are appearing more frequently in the wild.
Once you've completed the Collection Challenge by catching all of these, you'll be rewarded with a number of items and progress for your Elite Collector medal.
The Hoenn Collection Challenge is running alongside the Hoenn Celebration event and will be available from Tuesday, 19th January 10am (local time) to Sunday, 24th January 8pm (local time). The Hoenn Celebration Research quest also shares this timeframe.
Collection Challenge can be found on the 'Today View,' which is accessed by pressing the field research button (the little binoculars) in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen. You may need to scroll to your left, depending on whether or not you've been looking at your current field or special research tasks.
After accessing 'Today View,' you'll find a list of the Pokémon you need to catch to complete the Collection Challenge. Catching a Pokémon in the Collection Challenge rooster will tick it off the list to help you keep track of which ones you've caught and which you haven't.
Remember - you need to complete a Collection Challenge before its associated event ends and it vanishes forever.
Good luck completing the Hoenn Collection Challenge!