Jump-Start Research was first released as a celebration for the third anniversary of Pokémon Go's release.
For those who didn't start it at the time, Jump-Start Research returned in July 2020 to celebrate the arrival of the Skill Go Fest challenge.
Completing each step will reward with items that will help you level up and complete the Pokédex.
On this page:
How 'Jump-Start Research' works in Pokémon Go
In March 2018, Pokémon Go introduced Research Quests, which allow players to complete objectives for rewards.
Unlike the previous Special Research tasks, the ultimate reward of Jump-Start Research is not a Mystic or rare Pokémon. Instead, the aim of Jump-Start Research is, as the name suggests, to give new players a jump-start into the world of Pokémon Go. Each step is designed to introduce a new player to a feature in Pokémon Go, such as hatching eggs.
Jump-Start Research will also introduce returning players to the new features that have been added to Pokémon Go that they might have missed.
The quest is broken down into six steps, with three individual challenges making up each one. Completing each challenge and overall step will reward you with a variety of items.
There is no restriction on when you can complete the Jump-Start Research tasks, though in 2019 you needed to have started by September 2nd - and we assume there is a deadline to its 2020 return as well. Regardless - head over to the Research Tasks tab whenever your ready to get started.
How to complete each of the 'Jump-Start Research' event steps
Here are all six steps and their rewards for Jump-Start Research. Be warned - there are spoilers below if you don't want to learn what each objective entails, before you unlock them.
'Jump-Start Research' Step 1 of 6
Rewards: 2 Lucky Eggs, Dratini Encounter, 15,000 Stardust
'Jump-Start Research' Step 2 of 6
- Earn a Candy walking with your buddy
- Take a snapshot of Dratini
- Evolve a Dratini
Rewards: Premium Raid Pass, 15,000 Stardust, 2 Lucky Eggs
'Jump-Start Research' Step 3 of 6
- Power up Pokémon 10 times
- Battle another Trainer in the Great League
- Battle in a Raid
Rewards: 2 Lucky Eggs, 15,000 XP, 2 Star Piece
'Jump-Start Research' Step 4 of 6
- Catch 5 different species of Pokémon
- Catch a Legendary from either a Research Breakthrough or Raid
- Hatch 3 Eggs
Rewards: 2 Lucky Eggs, Shiny Eevee Encounter, 15,000 Stardust
'Jump-Start Research' Step 5 of 6
Rewards: Lapras Encounter, 30,000 XP, 2 Lucky Eggs
'Jump-Start Research' Step 6 of 6
- Make a new friend
- Win a level 3 or higher Raid
- Evolve a Dragonair
Rewards: 2 Lucky Eggs. 100,000 XP, 15,000 Stardust
Thank you to HeisAmiibo for help with these quest steps.
The Season of Mischief is here! Current events include the Season 9 of Go Battle League, the addition of Raid Achievements, the Misunderstood Mischief research quest and the new Finding Your Voice Meloetta research. Shiny Ditto can also now be found in the wild and this tricky Pokémon is now appearing as new creatures! The Halloween event is now live! You can complete the What Lies Behind the Mask research, evolve Galarian Slowking and compete in the Halloween Cup! Meanwhile, the last major update saw a level cap increase - including the addition of XL Candy, boosts to some XP sources and the addition of Platinum Medals. Phantump and Pumpkaboo can now be caught in Pokémon Go!
Other things to know about about Jump-Start Research in Pokémon Go
- Switch to a Pokémon that only needs to walk 1km to earn a candy to speed through one of the steps. Our Buddy Distance guide has a full list of 1km Pokémon.
- Don't forget to use your Star Pieces and Lucky Eggs as you play! Lucky Eggs will double the amount of XP you receive for 30 minutes, while Star Pieces increases the amount of Stardust you receive by 50% for 30 minutes.
- By the end of Jump-Start Research you will have your very own Dragonite - one of the most powerful Pokémon in the game. You can use it to defend gyms and earn some PokéCoins - the in-game currency for Pokémon Go.
- If you want to evolve your shiny Eevee into a specific evolution, then check out our Eevee Evolution guide.