Pokémon Go Legacy 40 Challenge quest tasks and rewards explained
How to complete this exclusive level 40 or higher quest in Pokémon Go.
Legacy 40 Challenge is a special research quest that celebrates the level cap for Pokémon Go being raised to level 50.
As the name suggests, Legacy 40 Challenge is only accessible to players who've already reached 40 before the level cap increase or those who reach 40 before the quest leaves Pokémon Go for good.
If you do manage to achieve this feat, you'll be able to complete the various quest tasks to earn a number of rewards, including an exclusive Gyarados Hat.
On this page:
If you want to reach Level 40 fast, our how to get XP fast in Pokémon Go explainer can help.
How 'Legacy 40 Challenge' works in Pokémon Go, including end date
The Legacy 40 Challenge is a research quest that both celebrates the level cap in Pokémon Go being raised to 50 and rewards players who had already reached level 40 before this occurred.
Since it's a timed research quest, you must complete it before a certain deadline or else risk losing the opportunity to complete Legacy 40 Challenge, and earn all of its rewards, completely.
Legacy 40 Challenge became available on Monday, 30th November and will run till Thursday, 31st December at midnight (local time).
Legacy 40 Challenge is also restricted to players who were already at level 40 when the research quest became available or will reach this level before the research quest expires. This means that if you're at any level lower than 40, Legacy 40 Challenge is inaccessible for you. It also makes Legacy 40 Challenge the first research quest in Pokémon to be restricted by a trainer's level.
Legacy 40 Challenge is divided into four steps, with each one consisting of three different challenges. You'll be rewarded for every individual challenge and overall step that you complete as part of this research quest, with the best rewards being available in the final step.
'Legacy 40 Challenge' quest steps in Pokémon Go
Below you'll find all the steps and confirmed rewards for the Legacy 40 Challenge in Pokémon. Be wary, however, as this section does contain spoilers, so, if you'd rather remain surprised, we recommend skipping it.
It's also important to remember that the Legacy 40 Challenge has both a deadline, with the quest vanishing once this date passes, and a level restriction, which requires players to be at least level 40 to complete this quest.
Thank you to chart1742 from reddit for the help with this information.
'Legacy 40 Challenge' Step 1 of 4
- Power up Pokémon 10 times - 1000 Stardust
- Catch 15 Pokémon - 3 Star Pieces
- Make 5 Nice Throws - 1000 XP
Rewards: 1000 XP, 1000 Stardust and Rufflet encounter
'Legacy 40 Challenge' Step 2 of 4
- Catch 15 different species of Pokémon - 1000 Stardust
- Transfer 10 Pokémon - x1 Unova Stone
- Use 15 Pinap Berries while catching Pokémon - 1000 XP
Rewards: 1000 XP, 1000 Stardust and x3 Premium Battle Passes
'Legacy 40 Challenge' Step 3 of 4
- Make 3 Great Curveball Throws - 1000 Stardust
- Win 3 Raids - x1 Sinnoh Stone
- Give your buddy 10 treats - 1000 XP
Rewards: 1000 XP, 1000 Stardust and x3 Super Incubators
'Legacy 40 Challenge' Step 4 of 4
- Claim reward - 5000 Stardust
- Claim reward - Deino encounter
- Claim reward - 1000 XP
Rewards: 5000 Stardust, Archen encounter and Gyarados Hat
The Season of Hidden Gems has arrived, bringing with it a new Go Battle League season. Depending on your region, you can currently battle Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf in five-star raids. Elsewhere, be sure to compete in Shadow Raids, use Daily Adventure Incense for the chance of encountering Galarian Articuno, Galarian Zapdos and Galarian Moltres. This incense may also give you encounters with other rare Pokémon in Pokémon Go.
Tips for completing 'Legacy 40 Challenge' in Pokémon Go
Here are some tips to help you complete the Legacy 40 Challenge in Pokémon Go:
- With a lot of hard work, it's still possible to reach level 40 by the end of year and we have an Pokémon Go XP guide to help you plan out your training!
- If you're having trouble finding Pokémon from different species, try using an Incense to attract them to your location.
- Lure Modules can also be used to attract Pokémon to a specific PokéStop and help you work towards the Picknicker medal!
- If you're having trouble landing the great curveball throws, then try finding a Pokémon that has a large catch radius, such as a Mr. Mime.
- Remember that Remote Raid passes now allow you to complete in Pokémon Raids from the comfort of your own home!
Good luck completing the Legacy 40 Challenge and working towards level 50 in Pokémon Go!