Xiao is a playable character in Genshin Impact introduced as part of the 1.3 update, All That Glitters.
Xiao is featured as the boosted 5-Star character in his Inviation to Mundane life Banner in version 3.4, but he will eventually return at some point in the future when the Banner schedule cycles back to him.
Whether you have him, or want to prepare for if you do Wish for him successfully, it's good to know the best Xiao build in Genshin Impact, including his best Artifacts and best team. It's also handy to learn what his Constellation perks are, and what Xiao Talent materials and Ascension materials are needed to level up Xiao to his full potential.
On this page:
Genshin Impact Xiao Talents, skills, star, element, and weapon
Xiao is a 5-Star Anemo character with high DPS (damage per second) who uses a polearm weapon to cause AOE (area of effect) damage primarily by using plunge attacks. Plunging with a polearm while his Elemental Burst is active is Xiao's main DPS attack.
Here's a summary of Xiao's abilities and stats in Genshin Impact:
- Element: Anemo.
- Rarity: 5-Star.
- Weapon: Polearm.
- Banner: Invitation to Mundane Life.
- Best build: DPS.
- Normal Attack: Whirlwind Thrust.
- Elemental Skill: Lemniscatic Wind Cycling.
- Elemental Burst: Bane of All Evil.
- Passive one: Conqueror of Evil, Tamer of Demons (while under the effects of Bane of All Evil, all damage increases by a further 5% for every three seconds the ability persists, with the maximum damage bonus capping at 25%).
- Passive two: Dissolution Eon, Heaven Fall (using Lemniscatic Wind Cycling increases the damage of subsequent uses of the ability by 15%, lasts seven seconds at a maximum of three stacks, and gaining a new stack refreshes the effect's duration).
- Exploration bonus: Transcension, Gravity Defier (decreases climbing stamina consumption for your party members by 20%, but is not stackable with other teammates who have a Talent that provides the same effect).
Xiao Normal Attack: Whirlwind Thrust
Xiao can perform up to six consecutive spear strikes, and when charged, his normal attack consumes stamina to perform an upward thrust. You can press the attack button while in the air to perform a plunge attack, which causes AOE damage. Xiao doesn't take any damage from plunge attacks, regardless of how high he drops.
Elemental Skill: Lemniscatic Wind Cycling
Xiao lunges forward, causing Anemo damage to enemies in his path. Lemniscatic Wind Cycling starts with two charges, and can also be used while in mid-air. Using this skill will generate three elemental particles when it hits an enemy, but it will not generate any particles if Bane of All Evil is active. This skill is very useful when exploring, as Xiao can use it twice in a row to bypass large gaps in the environment.
Elemental Burst: Bane of All Evil
Xiao wears the Yaksha Mask to greatly increase his jumping ability, AOE range, and attack damage, which is converted into Anemo damage. This can't be overridden by other elemental infusions. Unfortunately, Xiao continuously loses health while wearing the Yaksha Mask. The effect ends when Xiao leaves the field and is swapped for another active character.
Genshin Impact Xiao Talent materials
To get the most out of using Xiao, you will have to level his abilities up by using Talent materials, which vary from character-to-character.
For Xiao, you're going to need to farm a lot of Slime and Prosperity items (if you don't already have them) to fully upgrade his DPS capabilities.
As Xiao has three Talents, you will have to spend three times the Talent materials listed below to fully upgrade all of his abilities, which we've also detailed below the table.
Here's what Xiao Talent materials you need to improve one of his abilities:
|Xiao Talent level||Talent materials||Mora cost|
|Level 2||x3 Teachings of Prosperity, x6 Slime Condensate||12,500|
|Level 3||x2 Guide to Prosperity, x3 Slime Secretions||17,500|
|Level 4||x4 Guide to Prosperity, x4 Slime Secretions||25,000|
|Level 5||x6 Guide to Prosperity, x6 Slime Secretions||30,000|
|Level 6||x9 Guide to Prosperity, x9 Slime Secretions||37,500|
|Level 7||x4 Philosophies of Prosperity, x4 Slime Concentrate, x1 Shadow of the Warrior||120,000|
|Level 8||x8 Philosophies of Prosperity, x6 Slime Concentrate, x1 Shadow of the Warrior||260,000|
|Level 9||x12 Philosophies of Prosperity, x9 Slime Concentrate, x2 Shadow of the Warrior||450,000|
|Level 10||x16 Philosophies of Prosperity, x12 Slime Concentrate, x2 Shadow of the Warrior, x1 Crown of Insight||700,000|
Here's what Talent Materials you'll need to fully upgrade one of Xiao's skills:
- x1 Crown of Insight
- x3 Teachings of Prosperity
- x6 Slime Condensate
- x6 Shadow of the Warrior
- x21 Guide to Prosperity
- x22 Slime Secretions
- x31 Slime Concenrate
- x38 Philosophies to Prosperity
- 1,652,500 Mora
To upgrade all three of Xiao's skills, here's all the Talent Materials you'll need:
- x3 Crown of Insight
- x9 Teachings of Prosperity
- x18 Slime Condensate
- x18 Shadow of the Warrior
- x63 Guide to Prosperity
- x66 Slime Secretions
- x93 Slime Concenrate
- x114 Philosophies to Prosperity
- 4,957,500 Mora
Genshin Impact Xiao Ascension materials
Just like Talents, you need to use Xiao Ascension materials to upgrade his health, attack, defence, and critical hit effectiveness.
For Xiao, you're going to need to farm a lot of Qingxin and and slime materials (if you don't already have them) to fully upgrade his DPS capabilities.
Unlike Talent materials, you only need to spend the below Ascension materials once to fully raise Xiao to his highest character level. There is also Acquaint Fate rewarded for reaching certain Ascension levels. You can spend this Fate on the standard and beginner Banners to Wish for characters and weapons.
Here's what Xiao Ascension materials and Mora you need to upgrade him for each Ascension level:
|Xiao Ascension level||Ascension materials||Mora cost||Ascension reward|
|Level 20||x1 Vayuda Turquoise Silver, x3 Qingxin, x3 Slime Condensate||20,000||x1 Acquaint Fate|
|Level 40||x3 Vayuda Turquoise Fragment, x2 Juvenile Jade, x10 Qingxin, x15 Slime Condensate||40,000||None|
|Level 50||x6 Vayuda Turquoise Fragment, x4 Juvenile Jade, x20 Qingxin, x12 Slime Secretions||60,000||x1 Acquaint Fate|
|Level 60||x3 Vayuda Turquoise Chunk, x8 Juvenile Jade, x30 Qingxin, x18 Slime Secretions||80,000||None|
|Level 70||x6 Vayuda Turquoise Chunk, x12 Juvenile Jade, x45 Qingxin, x12 Slime Concentrate||100,000||x1 Acquaint Fate|
|Level 80||x6 Vayuda Turquoise Gemstone, x20 Juvenile Jade, x60 Qingxin, x24 Slime Concentrate||120,000||None|
In total, here's all the Ascension Materials you need for Xiao in Genshin Impact:
- x1 Vayuda Turquoise Sliver
- x6 Vayuda Turquoise Gemstone
- x9 Vayuda Turquoise Fragment
- x9 Vayuda Turquoise Chunk
- x18 Slime Condensate
- x30 Slime Secretions
- x36 Slime Concentrate
- x46 Juvenile Jade
- x168 Qingxin
- 420,000 Mora
Genshin Impact Xiao Constellation
By getting duplicates of Xiao from wishing on Banners, you will receive his Stella Fortuna. This material allows you to unlock Constellation levels, with each upgrade either improving an existing Talent or Passive ability.
Here are all of Xiao's Constellation level upgrades in Genshin Impact:
- Dissolution Eon, Destroyer of Worlds (C1): Increases Lemniscatic Wind Cycling's charges by one.
- Annihilation Eon, Blossom of Kaleidos (C2): When in the party but not on the field, Xiao's energy recharge is increases by 25%.
- Conqueror of Evil, Wrath Deity (C3): Increases the level of Lemniscatic Wind Cycling by three, with a maximum upgrade level of 15.
- Transcension, Extinction of Suffering (C4): When Xiao's HP falls below 50% he gains a 100% defence bonus.
- Evolution Eon, Origin of Ignorance (C5): Increases the level of Bane of All Evil by three, with a maximum upgrade level of 15.
- Conqueror of Evil, Guardian Yaksha (C6): While Bane Evil is activated, hitting at least two opponents with Xiao's plunging attack will grant him one charge of Lemniscatic Wind Cycling, and for the next second, he may use Lemniscatic Wind Cycling regardless of its cooldown status.
How to play Xiao in Genshin Impact
It's important to play Xiao on the field, using his plunge attacks and Elemental Burst as much as possible, only swapping to other characters when you need to recharge energy or start a healing field. If you swap to another character while Xiao's Elemental Burst is active, the effect will end and you will lose out on causing damage to enemies.
Best Xiao team comp in Genshin Impact
Xiao is an excellent DPS character with a fun playstyle, who is most effective with a good team to support his energy and health needs.
As Xiao is a high DPS character whose Elemental Burst costs a lot of energy, he is best paired with a fellow Anemo character, like Sucrose or Venti, so they can recharge Xiao's energy quickly. You'll also want to have a party member who can heal Xiao, like Jean or Bennett, as he can lose a lot of health while his Elemental Burst is active.
Best Xiao Artifacts and weapons in Genshin Impact
The best Xiao Artifacts in Genshin Impact will either raise his attack or elemental damage stats. It's best to try for the 4-piece Vermillion Hereafter set, but any Artifact that boosts his damage is a good substitute.
Alternatively, if you don't have a team that can help with Xiao's energy needs, equipping some Artifacts that help with energy recharge is recommended. This does lower his DPS potential, but it's better to activate his Elemental Burst as much as possible to get more opportunities to cause high Anemo damage. If running a low energy recharge team, you should take two sub DPS characters instead to raise Xiao's attack damage as much as possible.
As for weapons, you'll ideally want to equip Xiao with the 5-Star Primordial Jade Winged-Spear, as it's his signature weapon, meaning it's built for his needs. The Blackcliff Pole or Prototype Starglitter are good 4-Star options instead.
Hydro Archon Furina is finally here in version 4.2! She runs alongside Baizhu, and you need Lakelight Lily to Ascend Furina. Our Fontaine guide can help with Fontaine's Reputation and the Fountain of Lucine amongst other details, and you can also redeem new codes for Primogems, and check out our regularly updated tier list. You need luck from the Pity and 50/50 systems to Wish with Fate for characters on Banners, and you always need the right Adventure Rank for events. Elsewhere, we have tips and tricks for beginners, Dendroculus locations, fishing locations, and TCG card locations.
Best Xiao build in Genshin Impact
With all this in mind, if you want to take advantage of his high DPS capabilities, we have compiled what we think is currently the best Xiao build in Genshin Impact below:
- Best Weapon: Primordial Jade Winged-Spear
- Best Artifacts: x4 Vermillion Hereafter (or x2 Viridescent Venerer and x2 Gladiator's Finale)
- Best team members: A support healer to negate Xiao's life drain (like Jean or Bennett), another Anemo to help with Elemental recharge (like Sucrose, Jean, or Venti), and a support off-field to increase Xiao's attack damage/longevity even more (like Fischl, Albedo, or Zhongli)
While it can take a lot of time to find these Artifacts and Ascension/Talent materials to level-up Xiao, it's worth the effort if you wish to main Xiao as a fairly straight-forward pure DPS character - as long as you have a good team to enhance his Talents.
Good luck levelling up Xiao in Genshin Impact!