Destiny 2 Season of the Haunted - also known as Season 17 - marks the second major update this year.
The new season will bring a new Solstice event (that's right, just Solstice) for Destiny 2, an Event Card system, and a vault storage increase from 500 to 600. There will be plenty of changes to Iron Banner as well, now that Lord Saladin is in a new role at the end of the current season.
Destiny 2 Season of the Haunted roadmap
The Season of the Haunted roadmap for July and August in Destiny 2 includes:
Grandmaster Nightfalls (July 5th). Still got the Conqueror title to complete? Now's the time.
Bungie Day (7th July). The annual Bungie celebration which usually involves a giveaway or small announcement.
Iron Banner (12th July). The second - and final - week of Iron Banner this season.
Solstice (19th July). Previously Solstice of Heroes) this sees players given special armour and a list of challenges to power up across the event. The European Aerial Zone returns with a new event called Bonfire Bash, a wave defense mode where players will need to protect a bonfire from incoming enemies.
Season 18 start date (August 23rd). Get your season pass completed before then!
Destiny 2 Season of the Haunted end date: When will Season 17 end?
Destiny 2 Season of the Haunted has an end date of August 23rd.
Season of the Haunted - also known as Season 17 - saw a release date of Tuesday, May 24th at the weekly reset time:
- UK: 6pm (BST)
- Europe: 7pm (CEST)
- East Coast US: 1pm (EDT)
- West Coast US: 10am (PDT)
Downtime for the new Season will begin 1 hour and 15 minutes before the above times - so 3:45pm UK or 8:45am PST - with the patch being pushed around when the weekly reset goes live. Once downloaded, you should be free to start playing.
Here's a checklist of things to do before the new season arrives, including:
- Claiming any seasonal titles you have earned
- Take part in the Guardian Games closing ceremony, and earn any additional The Title rolls you might need
- Reaching Legend rank in any matchmade activities, and redeeming their vendor specific rewards
- Redeeming any remaining season pass rewards on all classes
- Having some completed Bounties ready, as well as maxing out relevant materials and Glimmer, to give you a head start for the start of next season
What we knew about Destiny 2 Season of the Haunted ahead of time
Note: The following section was written before the season was live.
On the day of the season's release, we finally heard the confirmed name of the Season, as well as story and location details, including:
- The return of the Leviathan, a destination first introduced in the Destiny 2 base game, and it has "its sights set on the Pyramid ship lying dormant on the Moon."
- Nightmare Containment seasonal activity, and weekly Sever mission
- New gear includes the Trespasser - Shiro-4's Exotic Sidearm that is the Battle Pass reward Exotic - as well as Opuliment Weapons tied to the Leviathan theme
- A Solar 3.0 revamp, which can be customised with Aspects and Fragments.
As well as the above, we know later in the season we'll see:
Solstice (previously Solstice of Heroes) is an upcoming event that will land this Summer. It's an annual event that sees the Tower adorned with flowers. This year, players will have one set of armour to upgrade throughout the event. While you can get multiple instances of a helmet, upgrading armor will allow you to reroll its stats and the stat potential of the armor will be shared across those drops.
Solstice will also feature an activity in the European Aerial Zone called Bonfire Bash. It's a sort of wave defense mode where players will need to protect a bonfire from incoming enemies.
By interacting with Eva Levante in the Tower or via the Quests tab (right next to Seasonal Challenges), players will be able to access the new Event Cards. They're a lot like Seasonal Challenges, but for annual events.
A brand new Dungeon will launch May 27th at 10am PDT (UK 6pm BST), allowing players to earn the following rewards:
- 1 Legendary Armor Set Per Class
- 4 Legendary New Weapons
- 2 Legendary Reprised Weapons
- 1 Exotic Weapon
- 1 Exotic Catalyst
- 1 Exotic Accessory (Ship or Sparrow)
- 2 Legendary Emblems
You'll need to be power 1550 to take on the Dungeon at Normal difficulty. There will also be a Master difficulty to try.
Falcon's Chase Sparrow
Finally, Bungie has shared a look at a new Sparrow dropping as part of Trials once it returns from June 10th. It's called Falcon's Chase, and is adorned with gold.
There's plenty to expect from the upcoming months. While you wait for the launch, be sure to check out our article on how Destiny fans are hoping to find a clue to Bungie's next project buried in Destiny 2. Any ideas?