Resident Evil Village is the eighth mainline entry in the long-running survival horror series.
Following on from the events of Resident Evil 7, it not only continues the story of Ethan Winters, but also sees us return to a first-person perspective following several third-person remakes - helping to amp up the horror as you explore the titular village, a huge castle and many more locations.
This in-progress Resident Evil Village walkthrough will take you through the game area-by-area - providing puzzle solutions and a heads up on combat encounters along the way.
Resident Evil Village walkthrough
As with previous games in the series, Resident Evil Village follows a fairly linear progression, throwing increasingly challenging enemy types and puzzles into the players path, as well offering backtracking to optional areas for additional items and weapons.
The following Resident Evil Village walkthrough is an in-progress guide to both critical path events and bonus objectives as you'll naturally encounter them, as well as pointing out any collectibles along the way - though if you need individual lists, we have a specific page on Resident Evil Village Goat locations.
Note that everything is described on the default Normal setting, and though main story events will be the same, some bonus consumables such as ammo, healing items, crafting resources and treasures could differ according to your choice of difficulty. (For this reason, we've described anything non-vital to the playthrough as 'resources'). And while we've attempted to keep things story events a secret, location and general event spoilers will follow.
Ethan and Mia's House
This section is pretty simple - take the baby upstairs to her room, and then return to Mia when ready. There are various points of interest throughout the house for some backstory on Rose and what happened before reaching Europe, so take your time exploring before you approach Mia.
- East and West Old Town explored, Bolt Cutter location
- How to survive the werewolves attack and find the Shotgun
- Opening the castle gate, Luiza's House and finding the Screwdriver
- How to survive the spike traps underneath the castle
- How to escape the bedchamber and open the Prioress Door in the Main Hall
- Hall of War puzzle, Chamber of Solace, daughter fight and where to use the Sanguis Virginis explained
- Courtyard and Hall of Ablution statue puzzle
- Distillery, surviving the Severed Hand encounter with Lady Dimitrescu in the Dungeon
- Opera Hall and how to get the Iron Insignia Key explained
- Finding the remaining Angel Mask locations:
- Mask of Pleasure: Go south of the Main Hall 2F into the Hall of Pleasure and Armory
- Mask of Joy: Head to the Library west of the Opera Hall 2F
- Mask of Rage: From the Library, go west and solve the 5 bell locations in Atelier puzzle then explore the Rooftops
- Place all four Masks in the Hall of the Four
- Investigate the coffin in the church and complete the boss battle
Returning to the Village
- Head to the Ceremony Site, down the Lone Road to the Altar, where the Merchant will ask you to find the 'House with the red chimney'
- To find the House of the Red Chimney, you must:
- Go through the now opened blue gate east of the Maiden of War statue
- Head south through the barn, go south-east to the Workshop and get the Jack Handle from the combination lock (look through the window for the code 070408)
- Head west, retracing your steps from the start of the game, to where there's a locked gate which requires the Iron Insignia Key
- Climb the roof with the ladder, and climb another ladder to enter a building with a Winged Key to create the Four Winged Key
- Return to the Merchant, who will add the Four Lord locations and treasures to your map, and unlock cooking
- Head north from the Altar using the Four-Winged Key to House Beneviento
- Head through Potter's field, past the Beneviento grave, post the Family Photo key item through the door to access the lift and House Beneviento
- Inside House Beneviento, head into the basement and into the double doors at the end
- To escape the basement, check the mannikin on the table to get the Blood Covered Ring (left hand), Silver Key (upper right arm) and Winding Key (left leg)
- Use the Silver Key to enter Medicine Room next door, and wash the Blood Soaked Ring in the sink for the Wedding Ring, which has the code 052911 when investigated in inventory
- Use this to leave the Doll Workshop and head to the now-opened Storage room, use the Winding Key on the music box and solve the puzzle by lining up the cylinders by the cracks that run along them
- Use the Tweezers you get in return on the mannikin's mouth for the Film, which is used the Study, and arrange the strips by - Teddy Bear, Book, Baby, Music Box, Ring
- Head through the secret compartment, get the Scissors as you leave, use it on the Doll's chest bandage for the Brass Medallion, which is used on the Sealed Door in the Doll Workshop (along with changing the other circles to - bird in triangle racing right, three eyes closed)
- Get the Breaker Box Key from the bottom of the well
- Return to the lift in the basement and retreat when you are cornered, going via the Study's secret compartment to open the Breaker Box and get the Relief of a Child
- Use the Relief of the Child to open the door between the Medicine Room and the Study, get the Fuse in the Bedroom at the end, and when cornered on the way back to the lift, hide under the bed in the Bedroom and flee when the coast is clear
- After calling the lift, head to the Study and run around the room to avoid capture to use the lift
- During the boss battle, find the dolls in the Guest Room, Living Room and Foyer (or by the lift) to get the next Flask
More coming soon!
Our other Resident Evil Village guides
As well as the above critical path and puzzle pages, what follows is a selection of individual guide pages, if you prefer to read out specific systems or items of interest:
Collectibles and items
More coming soon!