Distracted by Something Shiny is a special research questline in Pokémon Go, which will eventually lead you to catching shiny Celebi.
Distracted by Something Shiny not only allows you to add a second Celebi to your collection, but it will be the latest shiny mythical Pokémon in Pokémon Go.
On this page:
Update (1st February): Distracted by Something Shiny will no longer be available from Sunday, 28th February 2021 onwards.
How the Shiny Celebi quest 'Distracted by Something Shiny' works in Pokémon Go
Research quests allow players to complete various challenges for rewards and were released in March 2018. There are a number of different types of research quest, including field, timed and special.
Distracted by Something Shiny is a special research quest and was released on Monday, 14th December as part of the Secrets of the Jungle event. Though, thanks to it being a special research quest, Distracted by Something Shiny has no deadline, you can only receive it if you play Pokémon Go during the Secrets of the Jungle event.
This means that Distracted by Something Shiny is available from Monday, 14th December to Thursday, 17th December ending at 10pm your local time. Remember - you'll have as long as you like to complete Distracted by Something Shiny once you've collected it.
Distracted by Something Shiny is divided into four steps, with each individual step containing three challenges for you to complete. You'll be rewarded for every challenge and overall step you complete, with the final reward being shiny Celebi.
Once you've unlocked Distracted by Something Shiny, you'll be able to complete the quest whenever you like, but, remember, you must log into Pokémon Go during the Secrets of the Jungle event to access the quest.
'Distracted by Something Shiny' quest steps in Pokémon Go
Below you'll find all the steps and confirmed rewards for the Distracted by Something Shiny special research. This section does, however, contain spoilers for the quest, so, if you'd rather be surprised, we recommend skipping this section.
Thank you to redwineandbeer from reddit for the help with this information.
'Distracted by Something Shiny' Step 1 of 4
- Transfer 10 Pokémon - x20 Ultra Balls
- Catch 10 Grass-type Pokémon - Nuzleaf encounter
- Evolve 3 Grass-type Pokémon - Cottonee
Rewards: 500 Stardust, 1000 XP and a Diglett encounter
'Distracted by Something Shiny' Step 2 of 4
- Play with your Buddy 10 times - Poffin
- Take a snapshot of a Grass-type Pokémon - Combee encounter
- Give your Buddy 10 treats - Cherubi encounter
Rewards: 500 Stardust, 1000 XP and a Pinsir encounter
'Distracted by Something Shiny' Step 3 of 4
- Defeat Jessie or James 4 times - x5 Max Revives
- Make 5 Great Curveball throws - Hoothoot encounter
- Hatch 3 eggs - Whimsicott encounter
Rewards: 500 Stardust, 1000 XP and a Vibrava encounter
'Distracted by Something Shiny' Step 4 of 4
- Claim reward - 500 XP
- Claim reward - Oddish encounter
- Claim reward - Foongus
Rewards: 500 Stardust, 1000 XP and a shiny Celebi encounter
The Season of Mischief is here! Current events include the Season 9 of Go Battle League, the addition of Raid Achievements, the Misunderstood Mischief research quest and the new Finding Your Voice Meloetta research. Shiny Ditto can also now be found in the wild and this tricky Pokémon is now appearing as new creatures! The Halloween event is now live! You can complete the What Lies Behind the Mask research, evolve Galarian Slowking and compete in the Halloween Cup! Meanwhile, the last major update saw a level cap increase - including the addition of XL Candy, boosts to some XP sources and the addition of Platinum Medals. Inkay and Malamar are now in Pokémon Go!
Tips for completing 'Distracted by Something Shiny' in Pokémon Go
Here are some tips that will help you complete the 'Distracted by Something Shiny' quest in Pokémon Go:
- The best time to complete this quest is during the Secrets of the Jungle event; not only will grass-type Pokémon by appearing more frequently in the wild, but, during the event and in the weeks after, Jessie and James' balloon should be easier to find.
- If you're having trouble finding grass-type Pokémon, then try placing a Mossy Lure at a PokéStop. This will draw a range of bug, grass and poison-type Pokémon to your location.
- Incense will also cause more Pokémon to appear close to you and, if you're lucky, one of these might be a grass-type Pokémon.
- If you're having trouble landing a great curveball throw, then try aiming for Pokémon with large catch rings such as Wailmer or Mr. Mime.
Good luck unlocking shiny Celebi in Pokémon Go!