Pokémon Go's first wave of new Pokémon arrived in the December 2016 update in the form of baby Pokémon like Togepi, Pichu, and even Magby, Elekid, Igglybuff, Smoochum and Cleffa, too.
There's also the question of those Pokémon's evolutions, Togepi's in particular, as it looks as though with enough Candy you can get yourself a Togetic, the first fully-grown Pokémon from the second generation!
Below, we'll explain how to get the new baby Pokémon, along with everything else you need to know about them.
How to get baby Pokémon Togepi, Pichu, Magby, Elekid, Igglybuff, Smoochum and Cleffa in Pokémon Go
Firstly, it's worth knowing that the new Gen 2 baby Pokémon are only available via hatching eggs. We've a separate guide on egg-hatching and egg charts for more details on that, but the main takeaway here is that, if you want to catch these new Pokémon, you're going to need to get walking.
|Pokédex Number||Pokémon||Catch Method||Egg Distance km|
Catch or evolve from Togepi
Want more help with Pokémon Go? As well as our Pokémon Go tips, tricks and guides page, you can look up the Gen 2 Pokédex on how to catch the most recent creatures, using Special Items such as the Dragon Scale and other methods. We also explain big the Gym rework update, Raids, Raid Battles, and Raid Bosses, how to get Legendary Pokémon, and promo codes, and there's also info on changes to how to get PokéCoins, Eevee evolutions, Egg hatching distances, the tier list and best Pokémon, the best moves and movesets and Buddy distances. Plus, you can read about the Pokémon Go Plus accessory works, and even our XP chart.
How to evolve Togepi, catch Togetic, and other information you should know about the new baby Pokémon
There are a couple of other points these new additions have raised, that are well worth knowing:
- The frequency of these baby Pokémon appearing in Eggs will change during special events. The most recent is a Valentine's Day event update, which increases the rate of Cleffa, Igglybuff and Smoochum.
- Togetic can, it seems, be obtained by evolving Togepi.
- Togepi requires 50 Candy to evolve into Togetic.
- It appears that you'll need a new Egg, obtained after this new Pokémon update, in order to catch these Pokémon, rather than hatching one of your previous ones.
- Only second generation Pokémon - as in, those from the Pokémon Gold, Silver, and Crystal games - are available here, meaning no baby Pokémon like Munchlax or Happiny for now.
- We can expect more second generation Pokémon soon, seeing as these new Pokémon come with their proper Pokédex numbers that leave plenty of space in between, whilst fully-grown Pokémon from that generation in the form of Togetic are already available.
- Interestingly, there's no sign of Tyrogue, the baby Pokémon which evolves into Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee, or Gen 2's Hitmontop. Given Niantic's apparent plans to release Pokémon over the next few months, we can reasonably expect Tyrogue to appear somewhere down the line.
While you're here, it's also worth checking out our Egg-hatching guide and Egg chart, too, which we'll be updating with the new information from these Pokémon, whilst we'll also be adding new info to our Pokémon Go moves and DPS guide, and more!