Zelda: Link's Awakening Heart Pieces are collectables you can find to increase your health meter.
As with previous Zelda games, finding four will give you a complete Piece of Heart.
Though you gain health by collecting Heart Containers from completing a dungeon, it's worth finding these additional Heart Pieces to give you an extra boost for tougher encounters.
As with Secret Seashell locations, Heart Pieces are usually well hidden - in chests off the beaten path, or for the reward for completing mini-games.
All Heart Piece locations are as follows:
- Mabe Village Heart Piece locations in Zelda: Link's Awakening
- Mysterious Forest Heart Piece locations in Zelda: Link's Awakening
- Koholint Prairie Heart Piece locations in Zelda: Link's Awakening
- Tabahl Wasteland Heart Piece locations in Zelda: Link's Awakening
- Ukuku Pairie Heart Piece locations in Zelda: Link's Awakening
- Pothole Field Heart Piece locations in Zelda: Link's Awakening
- Martha's Bay Heart Piece locations in Zelda: Link's Awakening
- Animal Village Heart Piece locations in Zelda: Link's Awakening
- Yarna Desert Heart Piece locations in Zelda: Link's Awakening
- Tal Tal Heights Heart Piece locations in Zelda: Link's Awakening
- Tal Tal Mountain Range Heart Piece locations in Zelda: Link's Awakening
If you're looking for more assistance, our Zelda: Link's Awakening walkthrough can help.
Mabe Village Heart Piece locations in Zelda: Link's Awakening
- Once you have the sword, chop down the bushes on the cliff above the well in the west of the village, then drop into the well. Inside is a Heart Piece location.
- You can win two Heart Pieces from the Trendy Game in the south-east of the village. Use the claw machine - use the light underneath to know exactly where it'll stop as soon as you release the button - to pick it up. For the second, keep completing dungeons and winning prizes until it appears.
- You can find two Heart Pieces inside fish in the Fishing mini-game at the pond to the north, both of which should be given to you when beating records - the first we got at the same time as the Middleweight Lure, for example.
- When you have enough Rupees, you can purchase a Heart Piece from the Mabe Village shop.
Mysterious Forest Heart Piece locations in Zelda: Link's Awakening
- In the east of the forest is a log you can enter, taking you to a cave. Go past the room with the cracked flooring, round the corner, until you come to a room filled with pushable rocks and a Heart Piece blocked by them. If you move the blocks and use the Power Bracelet from the Bottle Grotto second dungeon to move the skulls, the Heart Piece is yours.
- In the north of the woods is a log surrounded by rocks. When you have the Power Bracelet item from the Bottle Grotto second dungeon, you can pick up and move these out the way. Inside you'll then need the Hookshot - found in fifth dungeon Catfish's Maw - to reach the chest in the corner and then the Heart Piece in the upper left.
Koholint Prairie Heart Piece locations in Zelda: Link's Awakening
- At far west of the area, where it joins the Mysterious Forest, you'll see a Heart Piece location surrounded by pits. You'll need the Roc's Feather item from the Tail Cave dungeon to reach this.
- South of the Witch's House and right of the pink ghost grave is a staircase. In the underground section, on the right bomb the cracked rock and use the Hookshot (found in fifth dungeon Catfish's Maw) to travel right and then leap up to the Heart Piece.
- There are two Heart Pieces if you play through enough of Dampe's Chamber Dungeon trials. (There is also an entire Heart Container to unlock if you do them all.) Remember to unlock more trials, keep completing dungeons.
Tabahl Wasteland Heart Piece locations in Zelda: Link's Awakening
- In the upper right corner is a Heart Piece out in the open - you just need Roc's Feather from the opening Tail Cave dungeon to reach it.
Ukuku Pairie Heart Piece locations in Zelda: Link's Awakening
- In the upper left of the Ukuku Pairie is a cave. Enter to find a room filled with rocks, a chest in the upper centre and a Heart Piece in the lower left corner. To reach it, move the rocks as show in the screenshot below. Note you'll need the Power Gauntlet to move the skull at the very end. The chest, meanwhile, contains a 50 Rupee piece.
- To the north-east of the warp point, there is another cave entrance, which you need to bomb to open. Inside is a cave lined with rocks and tent-blocks you need to destroy using the Pegasus Boots. Then, in the upper right corner, bomb the cracked wall to find the Heart Piece in a hidden room.
- In the north of Ukuku Pairie is Kanalet Castle. Once you have the Hookshot, you can progress past the potholes to the left of the entrance and swap into the moat. Just to the left of the entrance you can use the Flippers to dive and get the sunken Heart Piece.
- Visit the Seashell Mansion - it's south of Kanalet Castle - and it's the first reward once you acquire enough Secret Seashell locations.
- In the far east of Ukuku Pairie is an underground passage you need to take to reach Animal Village on the opposite side of the river. Once you have the Flippers from fourth dungeon Angler's Tunnel you can dive into the deep part of the flooded cave to get the Heart Piece below.
Pothole Field Heart Piece locations in Zelda: Link's Awakening
- There is a Heart Piece visible in the upper right of Pothole Field. You cannot get it on your first visit, instead having to wait until you complete the third dungeon Key Cavern to receive the Pegasus Boots. You can use these to run and leap over the two potholes.
Martha's Bay Heart Piece locations in Zelda: Link's Awakening
- In the south of Martha's Bay is a series of potholes surrounding bushes and a staircase going down. You can leap over the potholes once you have the Pegasus Boots from Key Cavern (you may have to awkwardly chop down the bushes as you land, die, then try again to make it across) then dive in the deep water within the cave using the Flippers from fourth dungeon Angler's Tunnel.
- Swim south of the Catfish's Maw entrance, squeezing between the land, to find a dead end with a series of rocks. You'll see a sunken Heart Piece here you can dive down and collect.
Animal Village Heart Piece locations in Zelda: Link's Awakening
- There is a Heart Piece ready to be collected in the upper left corner, outside of the bounds of the village. You can reach it by starting in the opposite lower right corner, taking a left at the cracked cave entrance in the upper right corner, then simply going left.
- In the upper right corner of the village there is a cracked cave entrance, which you must bomb to access. Inside the cave go one screen up, and equip both a Bomb and the Bow at the same time. Now use them both at the same time by pressing the buttons together, and it will fire an explosive arrow at the cracked rock opposite. Now hookshot across to the rock behind it and go up for the Heart Piece.
Yarna Desert Heart Piece locations in Zelda: Link's Awakening
Tal Tal Heights Heart Piece locations in Zelda: Link's Awakening
- Once you have got the Flippers, swim right from the Angler's Tunnel entrance until you reach a cave. Dive in here to find a sunken Heart Piece.
- North of the Ancient Ruins is a series of islands you need to explore in order to reach the sixth dungeon, the Face Shrine. In the upper right is a cave that will take you to the raft mini-game in Tal Tal Heights. Use the hookshot to reach the upper left rock on a ledge, then again to the right to get the Heart Piece. Note it's very easy to leap off the ledge and have to work your way back here via the raft mini-game, so turn to each rock carefully.
- When playing the raft mini-game, use the hookshot to first drop down the far left waterfall, then go directly down (you have to immediately hook left and keep hooking until the current takes you down) while sticking to the outside edge. The island on the right has a Heart Piece.
- If you score a fast time (around 30 seconds) during the 'Rapids Race' raft mini-game, you'll win a Heart Piece for your trouble. Make sure you use the hookshot to grab from branch to branch to increase your time.
Our Zelda: Link's Awakening walkthrough and guide can help you with the critical path, including the Eagle's Tower and Turtle Rock dungeons. There's plenty to be done on the side, too - including Zelda Link's Awakening Heart Pieces, Zelda Secret Seashells and the Zelda Link's Awakening trading sequence. Finally, there's also the new Zelda Chamber Dungeons feature to unlock and complete.
Tal Tal Mountain Range Heart Piece locations in Zelda: Link's Awakening
- In the passage taking you from Koholint Prairie to above Angler's Tunnel, you'll see a Heart Piece in the corner. You can reach this by pushing the rock left and down of the staircase down, then the left one left and smashing the crystal below it.
- In the middle of the Tal Tal Mountain Range is Henhouse Keeper. Go west, hookshotting across the broken bridge, and go into the staircase into a cave. There is a cracked wall on the south side in this passage, which features a Heart Piece inside.
- Outside of the cave with the jet of fire that blocks your way to Turtle Rock, you can go left alongside the outside edge to find a Heart Piece out in the open.
- Inside the Turtle Rock dungeon, you have to emerge back into the overworld in order to return again to defeat two black-shelled enemies from above. When in the overworld, there's a Heart Piece in the upper left corner.
That's all done! Remember, if you are still missing a full Heart Container after all of the above, make sure you complete all the Chamber Dungeons tasks set out for you to receive one extra.