Zelda: Link's Awakening Chamber Dungeons is a new mode introduced in the Switch remake of the classic Game Boy adventure.
Chamber Dungeons are, in brief, a dungeon editor, allowing you to create your own gauntlet by slotting together rooms and bosses found from the dungeons you complete throughout the game.
Not only that, there are several Link's Awakening amiibo unlocks for additional rooms - which can be used to share your creations, too.
On this page:
- How to unlock Chamber Dungeons in Zelda: Link's Awakening
- What you need to know about Chamber Dungeons in Zelda: Link's Awakening
- How to save and share Chamber Dungeons with amiibo in Zelda: Link's Awakening
- How to get new Chamber Stones in Zelda: Link's Awakening
- What amiibo unlock in Zelda: Link's Awakening
If you're looking for more help, our Zelda: Link's Awakening walkthrough can help.
How to unlock Chamber Dungeons in Zelda: Link's Awakening
You can find Chamber Dungeons in Tal Tal Heights once you have beaten the second dungeon, Bottle Grotto.
After you collect the Roc's Feather item from the first dungeon, Tail Cave, you have the ability to leap over pits in the ground, allowing you to reach Tal Tal Heights, just north-east of the Mysterious Forest.
From here, head east of the cave where you rescue BowWow to find the gravedigger Dampe.
He will invite you into this shack, which is just to the right, and introduce to you Chamber Dungeons. As you complete dungeons, you'll be given new challenges - Chamber Dungeons which must adhere to certain rules he sets out - as well as new tiles to add to your creations.
What you need to know about Chamber Dungeons in Zelda: Link's Awakening
There are certain rules you need to follow and things you should know when creating Chamber Dungeons:
- If a Chamber has an exit, then you have to connect it to another room. It cannot go nowhere!
- Similarly, you cannot have one set of stairs. There needs to be another that it can link to, though this can be anywhere on the map.
- If you are placing tiles as part of one of Dampe's challenges, you need to follow his rules - such as laying down certain items (a chest, or a locked door) where indicated on the screen.
- You cannot decide what is inside each chest (they usually contain Rupees or Small Keys, depending on the locked doors in your dungeon) while the last chest you open will always contain Nightmare Key, taking you to the boss.
- When the Chamber is ready to be completed, the backgrounds of all the tiles will turn from red to blue.
- Once you have completed your layout, you actually have to play it through first before saving the design.
- Every Chamber must have a start and end boss, and all Chamber Dungeons always have the same goal - open all the chests, and beat the Nightmare, without losing any hearts.
- Though you don't keep the items from a Chamber Dungeon playthrough, you do keep any Rupees you find along the way.
- Finally, to save you travelling across the map, there is a warp point just above Dampe's hut that's worth activating, allowing you to reach it again from other warp points you find.
How to save and share Chamber Dungeons with amiibo in Zelda: Link's Awakening
Once you have played and completed a Chamber Dungeon, it'll be saved to your game.
To share a design you have saved with another player, then when talking to Dampe, select the 'amiibo' option. Provided you have a Legend of Zelda amiibo, you are able to download that design with 'Store Dungeon'. Now on another Switch, select 'amiibo' again and opt to upload it with 'Receive Dungeon', sharing the design to that version of the game.
Note the only way to share Chamber Dungeon designs is through amiibo - there is no link up option with other Switches or online functionality that lets you do so. At least it puts that amiibo collection to use, right?
How to get new Chamber Stones in Zelda: Link's Awakening
There are several ways to get new Chamber Stones, which are the rooms that make up each Chamber Dungeon:
- Complete new dungeons, with each completed dungeon adding a new tileset to your collection
- Complete challenges given to you by Dampe
- Winning them from Mabe Village's Trendy Game
- Finding Secret Seashell locations (two in total)
- Scanning Legend of Zelda amiibo
You can tell if they are from challenges or Trendy Game with the yellow exclamation mark in the tile list when first viewing them, while amiibo have the amiibo logo on them.
Let's take a closer look at the last bullet point - the Chambers you gain from amiibo unlocks...
Our Zelda: Link's Awakening walkthrough and guide can help you with the critical path, including the Eagle's Tower and Turtle Rock dungeons. There's plenty to be done on the side, too - including Zelda Link's Awakening Heart Pieces, Zelda Secret Seashells and the Zelda Link's Awakening trading sequence. Finally, there's also the new Zelda Chamber Dungeons feature to unlock and complete.
What amiibo unlock in Zelda: Link's Awakening
As well as the ability to save and share Chamber Dungeon designs, scanning Legend of Zelda amiibo also allows you to unlock five additional Chamber Stones to use in your creations.
The order and type of amiibo you scan doesn't matter, as long as it's one from the Legend of Zelda (this can include Link and Zelda from Super Smash Bros - anything that is from that series, essentially). Once you have scanned five, no other unlocks will be added. These are:
Great Fairy's Chamber:
Moblin Chief's Chamber:
Ball and Chain Trooper's Chamber:
Winged Item Chamber:
Armos Knight's Chamber:
Finally, the amiibo specifically released for Zelda: Link's Awakening will unlock a bonus feature - a Shadow Link that will follow you around the dungeon.