Ditto in Pokémon Go continues to be one of the game's most elusive creatures due to its hidden nature.
The purple blob is infamous in the main games because of its primary move - Transform - that allows it to copy the appearance and look of the opposing Pokémon. It has a similar role in Pokémon Go, and how you catch it has an interesting twist.
The way it appears in the game is constantly changing, too - so learning which creatures it can be become will come in handy if you need to find one.
On this page:
How do you catch Ditto in Pokémon Go?
Unlike any other Pokémon we've seen so far in the game, Ditto doesn't appear in the flesh when exploring the wild. Instead, Ditto will take the form of other Pokémon, and will reveal itself when it's been caught:
This means that you don't know whether the Pokémon around you are 'real' or are actually a Ditto. The chances of them being a Ditto appear to be very slim - the exact stats on its rarity are unclear currently - so it's a case of catching as many Pokémon as you can until one appears.
When you have it, it'll slot into your Pokémon Bag like any other, and can be given Candy to upgrade, and taken into Gyms for battle.
What Pokémon can Ditto be hiding as?
Ditto can be found hiding as the following creatures, which aside from Yanma, are all common finds:
What's the easiest way to find a Ditto in Pokémon Go right now?
Thankfully right now, there's a much easier way of finding one. Until Tuesday, November 27th, it will appear as a reward in Field Research - specifically, Make an Excellent Throw.
The reward will seemingly be a Pidgey, but upon being caught, it'll transform - and that'll be good enough to complete the Special Research step.
Thanks to Pokestgo on reddit for the above image.
Coming soon is the addition of Pokémon Go PvP. Until then, a new month means the arrival of December Field Research and new Shinies. New Pokémon Go Gen 4 Pokémon continue to be slowly released, such as the addition of Legendary Cresselia and the introduction of the Sinnoh Stone, affecting various Best Pokémon lists.
What else you need to know about Ditto in Pokémon Go
- A Ditto will appear in the wild for everyone, and isn't just a common Pokémon that can transform at random - so if you catch one, other players nearby can get the same one too. It'll also appear as a result of a Lure or Incense.
- According to the Pokémon Go sub-Reddit, you can take Ditto into the Gym with some surprising results. Whether attacking or defending, it'll turn into the opposing Pokémon and assuming their moves, but will keep its own CP and stats. While you'll lose a bit of time during the opening of the match before transforming, in theory you could take a higher CP Ditto into battle and put up a good fight.
- The first Pokémon Ditto will come up against is the one it'll assume for the rest of the Gym battle, so make sure you use it right to your advantage.
- If more than one Ditto face one another in a Gym, neither will transform. If so, it'll use its only other move outside of Transform - Struggle.
- Ditto is a Normal Type Pokémon and has no evolutions. Its Pokedex entry reads: "Ditto rearranges its cell structure to transform itself into other shapes. However, if it tries to transform itself into something by relying on its memory, this Pokémon manages to get details wrong."
- Though they are rare to come by, you can catch more than one Ditto at once - which makes sense, since they have their own Candy that's required for them to be powered up (thanks, The Silph Road sub-Reddit for confirming this).
- The walking distance as a Buddy Pokémon is 3km - the same as the starters, Abra evolution chain and much more.