Fort Zancudo is a military base in GTA 5 located off the Great Ocean Highway just south of Paleto Bay.
Here you can steal some incredible military vehicles and helicopters - including the cargobob for the Merryweather Heist.
You don't have to be playing a story mission to visit here, however - as it's ready and waiting for you, providing you know the military base entrance, of course.
This page will explain how to step the Rhino tank, fighter jet, Attack Chopper and Titan.
On this page:
- GTA 5 military base location and military base entrances explained
- How to get in and prepare for the GTA 5 military base
- How to get the Rhino Tank from the military base in GTA 5
- How to get the P-996 LAZER from the military base in GTA 5
- How to get the Buzzard Attack Chopper from the military base in GTA 5
- How to get the Titan from the military base in GTA 5
GTA 5 military base location and military base entrances explained
The military base location in GTA 5 is found next to the Great Ocean Highway south of Paleto Bay.
Once you've reached the military base, there are several entrances:
- Through the west entrance off of the Great Ocean Highway, which is the main entrance.
- Through the east entrance along Route 68.
- Jumping the fence located along the Great Ocean Highway with a fast car.
Finally - though technically not an entrance - is parachuting down from a helicopter.
As to which is the best military base entrance, it all depends on what you want to steal. We have individual breakdowns of that by vehicle throughout this page, but here are some tips to help you when storming the military base in general...
How to get in and prepare for the GTA 5 military base
The sections below can guide you to specific vehicles you want to steal, but it's worth familiarising yourself and prepare for the military base in general:
- Trevor is the preferred person to use to steal any vehicles at the base. His Red Mist ability is handy when being shot at by a score of soldiers. He can also withstand tank attacks.
- Franklin is also a good choice due to his slow-down ability. This can be helpful when dodging vehicles and tanks coming your way.
- It's a good idea to buy some Heavy Armor or Super Heavy Armor before entering the base.
- Using a fast car to get inside the base will buy you a few seconds before the forces arrive. Be sure not to use a convertible or a motorcycle; it'll make you an easy target.
- Once you enter the base, you will automatically receive 4 stars. This means you have about 10-15 seconds to get to the vehicle you need before military soldiers, 2 helicopters, and about 3-4 tanks surround you.
- The military base has an inner and outer service road located by both entrances. Using these service roads can buy you some time as tanks and trucks cannot enter, and soldiers will not follow you along these roads.
- If you enter through the main west entrance, the main hangars will be to your right. Tanks will always come down the road to your left. If you enter through the Route 68 entrance, the main hangars will be on your left. The easiest way to get to the hangars is through the inner service road on the left.
- You will land on the main runway if you choose to jump the fence that intersects the highway. On the left side is a large hangar, and in front of it, you will usually find a Buzzard Attack Chopper and a fighter jet, or two of each.
- There is a lot of open space once you clear the hangars. You can use this space to draw the trucks, tanks, and soldiers to you.
How to get the Rhino Tank from the military base in GTA 5
This might be the most challenging vehicle to steal from the military base in GTA 5, but there are a few ways to get the tank.
The direct approach means going into the base with Trevor and using his invincible ability to dodge shots from the tank and soldiers.
To do so, enter through the Great Ocean Highway entrance and stay left; you will find a few patrol tanks coming your way. Or, if they don't appear, you will have to drive around and look for them.
Dodge the tank fire (you can hear a beep when the tank has locked on), get out of your car and activate Trevor's ability. While tank fire can't kill you, it can knock you off your feet, so be careful.
The entrance to the tank is on the front left side, so enter as quickly as you can. Once inside, exit the base and make your escape. Gun fire will not harm the tank, but you want to be out of there before the other tanks arrive.
The aggro approach is a little less direct and requires a bit of patience. You will not need to enter the base.
Approach the Great Ocean Highway entrance and make an immediate left towards the mountains. Drive along the dirt road until you see a small cliff overlooking the fort and drive up along the mountain. Once you have a good vantage point, look for a tank, and using your sniper rifle, shoot it.
This will alert the base, and tanks and vehicles will head in your direction. At this point, you will gain 2 stars, so you will have to keep shooting at the vehicles to make sure they come to you.
You may get one or more Rhino tanks coming in your direction, but they tend to get stuck on the road. Keep shooting at them, and they will eventually get to the road directly beneath you.
Here you can choose how you want to approach the tank. Usually, the driver will come out of the tank and look for you. You can shoot him, and the tank will be driverless. You can use Trevor's special ability to protect yourself as you approach the tank and take control.
When attempting to steal a Rhino Tank, there are three important things to keep in mind:
- Never lose sight of the tank when using the aggro approach. The tanks can sometimes disappear, and you have to start all over again.
- There won't always be tanks patrolling the base, so sometimes, you will need to shoot at either the soldiers or the trucks to get the alarm sounding.
- Once you steal the tank, know where to go, as you will earn 4 or 5 stars almost immediately. Since there will be helicopters hovering above you, find a good tunnel.
How to get the P-996 LAZER from the military base in GTA 5
Stealing the fighter jet from the military base is a little more straightforward than stealing the Rhino in GTA 5. Unfortunately, there is only one effective way to get this fighter jet, and that's driving right up to it and flying away.
Begin by entering the base through the Great Ocean Highway entrance or jumping the fence using a fast car.
The fighter jet is located in different parts of the base. Sometimes it will be in the big hangars, and other times it will be parked along the runway. You will also find it parked right outside the hangars. Make sure you have the appropriate car in case you need to seek the jet out.
Once you have control of the fighter jet, it is important that you take off from the runway and keep yourself as low as you can. If you fly high, the missiles will lock on you rather quickly. You will have some luck if you turn the camera behind you as you take off. In some instances, the missiles will not fire on you.
Take your new fighter jet to your hangar, and it is yours.
How to get the Buzzard Attack Chopper from the military base in GTA 5
The approach for stealing the Buzzard Attack Chopper from the military base in GTA 5 is similar to acquiring the fighter jet.
The best way to get to the Buzzard is to jump the fence with a fast car. Two helicopters (or one helicopter and one jet) will usually spawn right in front of the hangars on the left side of the runaway. If there isn't a chopper there, you will need to make your way to the other hangars.
Once you are in the Buzzard, fly out as fast as you can and look behind you, which tends to make the missiles harder to lock on you. You will need to fly out a considerable difference before you can look ahead of you. You want to make sure you are as far from the base as possible.
Watch out for police choppers as they will be following you. You can use your heat-seeking missiles to take the helicopters out.
You can take your new helicopter to the Sandy Shores Airfield, or any hangar, for safekeeping.
If you're looking for help with GTA 5 story missions, learn the different outcomes in The Jewel Store Job, The Merryweather Heist, The Big Score and final mission Deathwish. For hijinks out in the open world, there are Strangers and Freaks missions, the military base and spaceship parts to find. Want to explore more beyond the main game? Then play around with GTA 5 cheats, money and stock market and GTA 5 mods.
How to get the Titan from the military base in GTA 5
Stealing the Titan from the military base in GTA 5 is a little tricky, because these massive choppers are in the middle of the base in front of the main hangers. The Titan will not spawn anywhere else.
First by entering Fort Zancudo through the Great Ocean Highway entrance or jumping the fence. Next, locate the Titan and approach one as quickly as possible.
If you are using Trevor, activate his special ability as you try to break into the chopper.
Once you are in, you will need to be quick about taking off as the tanks will be surrounding you by this time. Use the runway to take off, and remember to look behind you for missiles.
Good luck looting the military base!
Will you support Eurogamer?
We want to make Eurogamer better, and that means better for our readers - not for algorithms. You can help! Become a supporter of Eurogamer and you can view the site completely ad-free, as well as gaining exclusive access to articles, podcasts and conversations that will bring you closer to the team, the stories, and the games we all love. Subscriptions start at £3.99 / $4.99 per month.