Once a week - between Friday and Sunday - Destiny is visited by a special vendor named Xur, selling hard-to-come-by gear, from Exotic weapons to cheap consumables. If you have been accumulating Strange Coins and have no idea where to spend them, Xur is the person to visit. He's achieved legendary status among the game's community as a result, and is worth paying a visit every week so you don't miss out on his wares.
Every Friday at 9am UK time, there are two things you want to know - Xur's location and what Xur is selling this week. Come back to this page to learn his new position and inventory as soon as he appears, and stay around to learn some of the other things he comes in handy for - it's more than just a handful of new Exotic items.
Where is Xur's location this week?
This week, Xur is located in the Tower, near the Speaker. From where you begin, go left, through the corridor to the next open area, where he'll be by the large doors on the right.
What is Xur selling this week?
The items that Xur are selling this week are as follows:
- ACD/0 Feedback Fence (Titan Gauntlets) - 13 Strange Coins
- Graviton Forfeit (Hunter Helmet) - 13 Strange Coins
- Heart of the Praxic Fire (Chest Armour) - 13 Strange Coins
- Thunderlord (Machine Gun) - 17 Strange Coins
- Legacy Heavy Weapon Engram - 31 Strange Coins
What else should you know about what Xur sells and can do?
- Xur will only appear in the Tower or the Reef, and not Rise of Iron's new Iron Temple social area, so all Destiny players can pay him a visit.
- All Exotic items will be sold at 350 Light level.
- As well as a selection of new items that rotate each week, Xur has a range of permanent items on display, including Plasma Drive and Stealth Drive for 23 Strange Coins each (used to upgrade Rare sparrows to maximum speeds, each with a different vapor trail colour), 10x Heavy Ammo Synthesis for 3 Strange Coins (see below on why this is handy), one Exotic Shard (7 Strange Coins, used to update the Light on Exotics) Glass Needles for 3 Strange Coins and 3 Mote of Light (for re-rolling Exotics), and Three of Coins (set of five for 7 Strange Coins). You can also exchange 2 Strange Coins for 1 Mote of Light.
- The Heavy Ammo Synthesis is particularly useful as an effective and cheap way for you to level up your Faction reputation with Dead Orbit, New Monarchy or Future War Cult. If you buy 100 Heavy Ammo Synths from Xur (it costs 1 Strange Coin per synth, amounting to 33 Strange Coins in total) you can sell them all to level your faction one whole level. As leveling factions is one of the few sources of high level gear, this method is particularly useful to take you up to Light level 390.
Want more Destiny: Rise of Iron guides, tips and tricks? Then read our Wrath of the Machine walkthrough and guides, complete list of all Dormant SIVA Cluster locations, Rise of Iron Artifacts, tips on how to reach Destiny's max Light level and how to complete the Exotic Gjallarhorn Quest, Khvostov 7G-OX Quest and Thorn Quest.
- The new items Xur sells every week are hard to come by, but they are rarely the last chance you will see them again. There's a decent chance he'll have them back in stock in a future week, and you try and get it through luck by decrypting Exotic Engrams.
- As of The Dawning update, Xur will no longer sell specific Ornaments in Rise of Iron, and will instead be housed at a kiosk next to the Postmaster in the Tower.
- Xur will not sell certain Exotics, such as those available as part of Quest lines (such as the Gjallarhorn Quest, Khvostov 7G-OX Quest and Thorn Quest) and PlayStation exclusives.
- As of the Rise of Iron expansion, alongside live seasonal events and similar new updates, Xur will no longer be available in the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of the game.
- There are a handful of Quest lines that require you to visit Xur as part of completing them. The game will tell you when this is the case, so be sure to pay him a visit next time he's around and pick up the required item to continue.
- Xur has made a cameo in another little known online game by Activision Blizzard named World of Warcraft, selling Curious Coins, Gjallar's Horn and Krota's Shield items. Sound familiar?