Microsoft's released a hefty 5GB update for Gears of War Ultimate Edition.
The title update makes changes to playlists and adjusts gameplay.
The headline changes are kills in social playlists now also count towards the "Seriously" achievement (kill 10000 people in versus competitive matches), and improvements to Boomshot hit registration. Of note: the achievement will not retroactively add your kills from social games before the update to your achievement progress. From the update onwards, you'll be able to add to your kill count in any Social or Competitive playlist.
Since the launch of the game many players have reported that the Boomshot has had inconsistent performance. Post patch, it should now always damage an enemy when fired at their feet.
Here's the patch notes, as revealed on the Gears of War website:
- Addressed some matchmaking issues that caused long wait times
- Improvements to hit registration on downed enemies (sponging)
- Small improvements to the Left Trigger Issue
- Fixed hit detection when shooting an enemy in cover against the top pillars on Clocktower
- Removed POI on Right Stick for Alternate Control Scheme
- Bug fixes and general improvements
Meanwhile, Microsoft is making changes to its playlists that go live alongside the new title update. It's worth noting experience point gain for Execution has been increased to match the gain in other modes. And the new Blitz mode has been moved to Social to combat quitters. Being in Social allows "joining in progress", where players can be matchmade into empty slots on an active team. Competitive does not allow this.
Will you support Eurogamer?