Modern Warfare and Warzone COD Points is an in-game currency that's used for purchasing the Battle Pass or items in the Store.
Though they are a premium currency and the primary method of unlocking them is through purchasing them with cash, there is a method of getting free COD Points through gameplay.
However, be warned, it might take you a while.
On this page:
How to get COD Points in Modern Warfare and Warzone
There are two primary methods of getting COD Points in Modern Warfare and Warzone:
- Purchasing from the Store with real world money
- Levelling up the Battle Pass (some available for free)
Spending real money is the primary and most realistic way of getting COD Points. Though you can earn free COD Points - see below as to how - if you wanted to get the Battle Pass, there's no way to get it without spending real money first.
It's worth knowing the Battle Pass - which costs 1000 COD Points - will give you 1300 COD Points in return if you level it up to Tier 98, financing the next Battle Pass and then some when it's available.
This means, in theory, you only have to pay for a Battle Pass with real money just the once, as provided you put the hours in and save those COD Points until the next season, you can earn the next one through play.
How to get free COD points in Warzone
The Season 2 Battle Pass for Warzone offers 1300 COD points, spread across multiple tiers as rewards, with 300 of these COD points being attached to 'Free' tiers.
The COD points reward tiers are as follows:
- 100 COD points - Tier 6 (Free)
- 100 COD points - Tier 12 (Premium)
- 100 COD points - Tier 17 (Premium)
- 100 COD points - Tier 23 (Premium)
- 100 COD points - Tier 32 (Premium)
- 100 COD points - Tier 41 (Premium)
- 100 COD points - Tier 48 (Free)
- 100 COD points - Tier 56 (Premium)
- 100 COD points - Tier 66 (Premium)
- 100 COD points - Tier 74 (Premium)
- 100 COD points - Tier 82 (Premium)
- 100 COD points - Tier 91 (Premium)
- 100 COD points - Tier 98 (Free)
Unlocking all of the free COD points is not easy, especially considering that the last one is located at Tier 98, which means that, if you're planning on playing Warzone long term, then the Battle Pass is a worthy investment.
As mentioned above, purchasing the Battle Pass does offer you the opportunity to earn back the COD points you've spent.
Considering the Season 2 Battle Pass costs 1000 COD points, we can assume that the Season 2 Battle Pass will also cost the same amount. This means that, if you reach Tier 74, you will have earned enough COD points to purchase the next Season's Battle Pass.
How to get free COD Points in Modern Warfare
Every Battle Pass will offer a selection of items for free without having to purchase it. This includes Season 1's Battle Pass, which includes 300 of the 1300 COD Points rewarded by levelling it up.
They are as follows:
- 100 COD Points - Tier 6 (Free)
- 100 COD Points - Tier 12 (Premium)
- 100 COD Points - Tier 17 (Premium)
- 100 COD Points - Tier 23 (Premium)
- 100 COD Points - Tier 32 (Premium)
- 100 COD Points - Tier 41 (Premium)
- 100 COD Points - Tier 48 (Free)
- 100 COD Points - Tier 56 (Premium)
- 100 COD Points - Tier 66 (Premium)
- 100 COD Points - Tier 74 (Premium)
- 100 COD Points - Tier 82 (Premium)
- 100 COD Points - Tier 91 (Premium)
- 100 COD Points - Tier 98 (Free)
It's not easy to get free COD Points - especially as you have to get to Tier 98 to get all 300 - though you can earn 100 from reaching Tier 6, which should be easily manageable.
As mentioned above, if you intend on playing the Battle Pass to completion, it's worth paying for the Battle Pass as you get your COD Points investment back by the end, which will be enough to then purchase the next one when it rolls around.
Looking for multiplayer help? Learn the best guns in Modern Warfare, how to access Modern Warfare Hardcore modes and Modern Warfare Ground War. We can also teach you how to quickscope. Finally, there's the story, with a handful of Modern Warfare campaign missions to complete, as well as how to kill a Juggernaut in Modern Warfare.
What are COD Points used for in Modern Warfare and Warzone?
In Modern Warfare, to buy COD points, you have to visit the Store, which is at the far end of the Multiplayer menu. COD Points are then used for the following:
Meanwhile, in Warzone, you need to head to the tab labelled 'Store' and then scroll down until you reach the section entitled, 'Franchise Store.' Here you'll be able to purchase COD points, as well as access the Call of Duty League and Franchise Store.
Once purchased, COD points can be used to purchase the following:
- Purchasing the Battle Passes for both Modern Warfare and Warzone (1000 COD Points)
- Skipping a Battle Pass Tier (100 COD Points)
- Purchasing bundles from the Store (various)
In short - they are used for cosmetic and Store-based items.
They aren't essential to playing either games, and though the vast majority of items are cosmetic, since the Battle Pass and Store bundles do offer Blueprints, they can affect gameplay by giving you easy means to get perks and attachments for select weapons.