Death Stranding is the first project from a post-Konami Kojima Productions - the creator of the Metal Gear Solid series - seeing the studio branch out and create their own take on an open world adventure.
Though it shares a number of similarities with Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain - Kojima's last game - the setting and objectives couldn't be further apart.
Yes, you are using gadgets to skulk past enemy camps, but it's all to deliver cargo and connect isolated bunkers and cities across a vast post-apocalyptic landscape. You're also carrying a baby in a pod to help detect invisible monsters, while Guillermo del Toro occasionally calls you to discuss your next mission. As we say, it's pretty different.
On this page:
This in-progress Death Stranding walkthrough explains what you need to know to beat the core set of Death Stranding missions and objectives, and the structure that connects them together, as well as a list of our other Death Stranding guides that can assist with other parts of the game.
How our Death Stranding walkthrough works
Despite the strange premise, Death Stranding's structure is surprisingly straightforward. Once you are in Episode 2, the game opens up, allowing you to freely explore the east of the USA and being to make deliveries.
The advance the story, you have to complete the list of Orders in, well, order, which provide the path you need to start connecting bunkers and compounds across the map.
You can also take on optional Standard Orders, which often take you back to previous locations, or focus on Orders for Sam, most of which are required to advance the story.
New Episodes introduce new areas to explore, which sees our hero Sam Porter Bridges make his way across the USA, connecting it together.
So if you want to play through the story, just focus on these main Orders - but of course, there are plenty of distractions along the way, including building structures to help others in Death Stranding's multiplayer, if you want to take time out to do those.
Our Death Stranding walkthrough lists roughly explains what's featured in each Episode, with links to dedicated Episode pages and if required, Order walkthroughs as some mission are more difficult than others.
Death Stranding mission list
Here's how Death Stranding plays out:
- There is just a single mission - Order 1: Smart Drug Delivery. You need to deliver at least one Smart Drug shipment in this short tutorial mission. Simply cross the river to find Central Knot City, then head to the Delivery Terminal.
Episode 1: Bridget
- There are two missions here - Order 2: Morphine Delivery: Isolation Ward - which is a short stroll from one building to the next - then the more challenging Order 3: Cremation: President's Body, where you'll encounter your first BT.
Episode 2: Amelie
- This has you reconnect the Eastern Region together, with the ultimate goal in bringing Port Knot City into the Chiral Network, and introduces concepts such as Mules, multiplayer and vehicles.
- Our Episode 2 missions page explains how to complete Orders 4 to 16, including the particularly challenging Order 7.
Episode 3: Fragile
- This has the ultimate goal in bringing South Knot City into the Chiral Network.
- Our Episode 3 missions page explains how to complete Orders 18 to 38, including the particularly challenging Order 33 and Order 38.
Episode 4: Unger
- This is a quick diversion from the main quest which sees you escape a battlefield and find a mysterious man.
Episode 5: Mama
- This has the ultimate goal in bringing Mountain Knot City into the Chiral Network.
- Our Episode 5 missions page explains how to complete Orders 41 to 46, including the slightly confusing Find a way to change Lockne's mind.
More coming soon!
Other Death Stranding guides
Here's our other Death Stranding guides if you need assistance with other parts of the game:
- Death Stranding fast travel explained
- How to fight Mules in Death Stranding
- Death Stranding multiplayer explained
- How to charge a bike and get vehicles in Death Stranding
- How to avoid and kill BTs in Death Stranding
- How long is Death Stranding?
- How do you unlock the Gold Death Stranding pre-order bonuses?
- Death Stranding Memory Chip locations and what 'glowing' objects mean