The Pokemon Company International has announced the Pokemon Video Game National Championships dates.
It takes place from 3rd March to 1st April 2012 in five cities across Europe. The UK tournament will be held at the NEC in Birmingham.
As in previous Pokemon tournaments, you compete in divisions based on your age. The four top finishers from each age division win travel and accommodation for the 2012 Pokemon World Championships, to be held 10-12th August 2012 in Hawaii.
The Pokemon Company International has introduced a number of new rules for this year's competition.
You can build your team using Pokemon from the National Pokedex and must play using the Pokemon Black or Pokemon White versions.
This expands the number of Pokemon that can be used, a move that will increase the skill and strategy needed to win, J.C. Smith, director of Consumer Marketing for The Pokémon Company International, said.
The tournament uses Double Battles over Infrared Connection. Competitors taking part at the European qualifying events may only use European versions of the video games and must have a Player ID to participate.
The dates in full:
2012 Pokémon Video Game National Championships, European Dates and Locations:
- Saturday 3rd March - UK, Birmingham, NEC, Hall 11
- Saturday 10th March - Germany, Essen, Messe Essen, Halle 1A
- Saturday 17th March - France, Paris, Espace Champerret, Hall C
- Saturday 24th March - Spain, Madrid, IFEMA, Pabellón 5
- Sunday 1st April - Italy, Milan, Centro Congressi Milanfiori, Strada 1
And the age divisions in full:
Players will compete in one of three age divisions, based on their dates of birth:
- Junior Division - born in 2001 or later
- Senior Division - born in 1997, 1998, 1999, or 2000
- Masters Division - born in 1996 or earlier
Get your first month for £1 (normally £3.99) when you buy a Standard Eurogamer subscription. Enjoy ad-free browsing, merch discounts, our monthly letter from the editor, and show your support with a supporter-exclusive comment flair!