Mario Kart 8 Deluxe unlockables are a little more straightforward than its Wii U counterpart, with most things already available from the get go.
However, those in need of an incentive to play are in luck - with multiple car parts yet to unlock, provided you can gather enough coins.
Meanwhile, for those up for a greater challenge, you can unlock Gold Mario in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.
If you need more help with other parts of the game, consult our Mario Kart 8 guide, tips and tricks page.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe unlockables list
Here is how you unlock all aspects of Mario Kart 8 for both Switch and Wii U:
- Characters: The Switch version automatically unlocks all characters from the get go, apart from Gold Mario. On Wii U, a character will unlock at random upon each cup win, apart from DLC characters which are already available.
- Courses: The Switch version automatically unlocks all tracks from the get go, including the later added DLC. You'll need to unlock these gradually on Wii U by completing prior cups.
- Modes: All modes unlock automatically on Switch. On Wii U, Mirror Mode is available once you complete all cups on 150cc, while 200cc is available as part of a free game update.
- Kart Parts: On both platforms, all parts - whether bodies, wheels or gliders - will unlock as you collect Coins, which are littered on tracks during races. Parts will unlock at random every 30 coins collected on Switch (or per 50 coins collected on Wii U) which increases to 50 coins at the 500 coin milestone (or every 100 coins at the 1,000 coin milestone on Wii U).
The exception to the random drops is on Wii U, where DLC parts will be available automatically upon purchase. On Switch, the DLC parts (including the Mercedes DLC) is thrown in as part of the roster.
On Switch, the unlockable parts in numbers are:
- 23 karts (including the Switch's new Koopa Clown)
- 17 bikes (including the Switch's two new Splatoon vehicles, Inkstriker and Splat Buggy)
- 21 wheels
- 14 gliders
Best of luck with the above - especially with Gold Mario!