PlayStation Classic is Sony's take on the mini console craze - not unlike the NES or SNES Classic Mini systems from Nintendo.
The standalone system allows you to play a total of 20 PlayStation games with original controllers, connected through your TV with a modern HDMI interface.
The PlayStation Classic price will cost £89.99 / $99 / €99.99 / 9,980 yen, and will is available on December 3rd - exactly 24 years after the system debuted.
PlayStation Classic games list confirmed so far
PlayStation Classic will come with 20 games in Europe and North America. These are:
- Battle Arena Toshinden
- Cool Boarders 2
- Destruction Derby
- Final Fantasy VII
- Grand Theft Auto
- Intelligent Qube
- Jumping Flash!
- Metal Gear Solid
- Mr. Driller
- Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
- Resident Evil Director's Cut
- Revelations: Persona
- Ridge Racer Type 4
- Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
- Syphon Filter
- Tekken 3
- Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
- Twisted Metal
- Wild Arms
Meanwhile, the Japanese PlayStation Classic line-up is slightly different:
Japan's other 15 PS Classic games: https://t.co/950abKAaUZ— GSK | https://cohost.org/gosokkyu (@gosokkyu) October 29, 2018
Arc the Lad
Arc the Lad 2
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Battle Arena Toshinden
Metal Gear Solid
PlayStation Classic size difference and specs
The PlayStation Classic is 45% smaller than the 1994 original:
For the exact PlayStation Classic size, as well as PlayStation Specs, here are the details direct from Sony itself:
|Video output||720p, 480p|
|Audio output||Linear PCM|
|Input/output||HDMI™ output port|
USB port (Micro-B)*4
Controller port x 2
|Power||DC 5V / 1.0A|
|Maximum rated power||5W|
|External dimensions||Approx. 149 x 33 x 105mm (5.8 x 1.3 x 4.1 in) (width x height x depth) (excluding controllers)|
|Mass||Console Approx. 170g (6.0 oz)|
Controller Approx. 140g (4.9 oz)
|Operating temperature||5℃ to 35℃|
Everything else we know about the PlayStation Classic
- The console comes with two wired controllers, a virtual Memory Card built-in for game saves, and a HDMI cable.
- The PlayStation Classic controller length is unknown right now - the short wire was a problem for many NES Mini owners, so hopefully Sony can avoid this mistake.
- Packaging for the PlayStation Classic is designed to mimic the original console - even down to the instruction manual.
- The controllers don't have analogue sticks, which might have some games (racers, possibly Metal Gear Solid) difficult, but in theory everything will be available to play.
- The PlayStation Classic doesn't come with a USB power adapter - you'll have to buy one of those separately. The type supported is a 5V, Type A output.
- If you're hoping for more games post-release, Sony says additional PlayStation Classic games "cannot be added on via download or any other way".