UPDATE: Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D sold 280,000 units during June, NPD analyst Anita Frazier told Eurogamer, representing a 34 per cent attach rate to the 3DS install base.
ORIGINAL STORY: Rockstar Games' detective epic L.A. Noire held on to the top spot in the US software chart in its second month on release, according to the latest set of data from The NPD Group.
Duke Nukem Forever debuted at two for the month of June, one ahead of PlayStation 3 exclusive inFamous 2. Lego Pirates of the Carribean hangs on at four after its third place debut last month, with Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D entering at five.
Here's the full top 10:
- L.A. Noire (360, PS3) Take 2 Interactive
- Duke Nukem Forever (360, PS3, PC) Take 2 Interactive
- Infamous 2 (PS3) Sony
- Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC) Disney Interactive Studios
- Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS) Nintendo
- Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, Wii, NDS, PC) Activision Blizzard
- NBA 2K11 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP, PC) Take 2 Interactive
- Mortal Kombat 2011 (PS3, 360) Warner Bros. Interactive
- Cars 2 (NDS, Wii, 360, PS3, PC) Disney Interactive Studios
- Just Dance 2 (Wii) Ubisoft
On the hardware side, Microsoft announced that the Xbox 360 sold 507,000 units to take the spot, adding that the system moved "nearly twice as many units as other current-generation platforms and maintaining the number-one console spot in the U.S. for 2011."
NPD hasn't revealed how the other platforms fared but did note that hardware sales were down nine per cent year-on-year and software sales had fallen 12 per cent.
Sony declined to reveal its hardware sales figures but took the opportunity to talk up its software slate.
"According to the latest NPD report, PlayStation continues to see growth in software with a strong demand for exclusive PlayStation 3 franchise titles,” read a statement from marketing chief Patrick Seybold.
"The recently launched inFAMOUS 2 was the #1 software SKU in June. In addition, momentum is accelerating with the upcoming fall releases of Resistance 3 and Uncharted 3 on the horizon.
"This week the Uncharted 3 multiplayer beta surpassed 1.5 million unique players, demonstrating the strength of the PlayStation platform and consumers’ interest in gaming experiences that combine rich stories, challenging gameplay, and exhilarating 3D immersion."
No word yet from Nintendo regarding whether Ocarina of Time gave the 3DS a much needed bump, but we'll update as and when more details seep out of the ether.
Will you support Eurogamer?