Call of Duty: Black Ops has gone straight in at number one in Media Create's weekly Japanese sales chart.
Andriasang reports that the subtitled PlayStation 3 edition sold 128,922 copies to go top, three times as many as its nearest rival Nintendo's DS RPG Super Fossil Fighters.
The Xbox 360 version went in at seven, shifting 30,279 units.
The full top 10 looked like this:
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Subtitled Version (Square Enix, PS3): 128,922
- Super Fossil Fighters (Nintendo, DS): 42,829
- Pokemon Black & White (Pokemon, DS): 39,883 (4,450,879)
- Super Mario Collection Special Pack (Nintendo, Wii): 38,219 (565,928)
- Tactics Ogre (Square Enix, PSP): 37,350 (213,503)
- Winning Eleven 2011 (Konami, PSP): 35,500
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Subtitled Version (Square Enix, X360): 30,279
- Tongari Boushi to Mahou to Omise (Konami, DS): 24,918 (65,126)
- Winning Eleven 2011 (Konami, PS3): 22,383 (323,803)
- Record of Agarest War 2 (Compile Heart, PS3): 20,889
That's a great result for Treyarch's FPS in a Japanese market traditionally hostile to Western-developed shooters. Last year the PlayStation 3 version of Modern Warfare 2 debuted at number four, selling 93,000, while the Xbox 360 edition failed to make the top 10.
Publisher Square Enix is planning to release a dubbed version of the game in Japan in December, which should further boost sales.
In other news, the weekly hardware chart saw the PSP taking top honours, and by some margin.
- PSP: 96,601 (40,328)
- PS3: 29,058 (21,114)
- Wii: 27,851 (39,308)
- DSi LL: 21,836 (18,711)
- DSi: 20,550 (13,994)
- X360: 7,083 (2,686)
- DS Lite: 1,904 (1,752)
- PSP go: 1,816 (2,727)
- PS2: 1,255 (1,233)