Sonic Mania unlockables give you more incentive to replay than the average Sonic game, ranging from new moves based on classic Sonic games to modes that change the way you play.
We'd recommend at least playing through some of Sonic Mania before reading on for spoiler purposes, and to read up on how to master Sonic Mania special stages to unlock and see everything on offer.
How to unlock Debug Mode, Super Peel Out and new moves in Sonic Mania
Playing Mania mode will unlock a number of new moves and abilities. We unlocked the following seemingly a random upon returning to the main menu after playing sessions of Mania Mode; they might be associated with specific Zones, or unlocking a number of Blue Sphere medals, but in short, you should unlock everything by the time you finish the game and play plenty of Blue Sphere:
- Sonic CD move Super Peel-Out
- Sonic 3 and K move Insta-Shield
- Debug Mode
- And Knuckles
How to use cheats, Level Select and Super Peel Out in Sonic Mania
To use cheats such as alternate modes, And Knuckles and Debug, you must go into Mania Mode and hover over the 'No Save' icon on the right. Next, press Triangle (or Y on Xbox, or X on Switch) to activate these options. Here is how you use each mode:
- And Knuckles will add Knuckles as a second character, even to Knuckles!
- Debug is activated by pressing Triangle (or Y on Xbox, or X on Switch), then the jump buttons to place and rotate through options.
- Mania's move is a Drop Dash (hold jump in the air), Sonic CD's by holding Up then jump, and Sonic 3 and K Insta-Shield by pressing jump in the air.
Finally, there's Level Select, which interestingly works in a variety of ways and differs from platform-to-platform:
- Sonic Mania PS4 Level Select: Select the No Save option on the far right of Mania Mode with Debug Mode enabled, and press Options, Triangle and Square. (Thanks once again to reader lanerobertlane for the tip.)
- Sonic Mania Switch Level Select: On the title screen (back out of the main menu to reach it) press Y + B buttons together.
- Sonic Mania Xbox One Level Select: Select the No Save option on the far right of Mania Mode with Debug Mode enabled, and press the Menu button, Y and X together. (Thanks to Viktormoros for the tip.)
- Sonic Mania PC Level Select: Select the No Save option on the far right of Mania Mode with Debug Mode enabled, then the Q and A keys together. (Thanks to Rainbow Seal on YouTube for the tip.)
How to unlock new modes and Extra secrets in Sonic Mania
Upon completing the first stage of Sonic Mania, the following two options are unlocked on the main menu, which offer more stages the further into the Mania Mode you go:
- Time Attack (speed run mode on individual zones)
- Competition (split-screen local competition, based on Sonic 2)
Venturing into the Extras menu will show three additional unlockables. These, as hinted by the grid of 32 icons in the bottom right corner of the screen, are additional modes unlocked by playing the Blue Sphere special stages.
The good news is, you don't need to unlock any gold medals to get these (it's seemingly just to unlock an additional Achievement / Trophy). Get all 32 (at least) silver Medals to unlock:
- Mean Bean (Puyo Puyo mini-game playable against the computer or another player)
- Blue Spheres (mini-game in original and Mania modes)
- D.A. Garden (sound test)
You don't have to unlock these Medals in a single playthrough - instead, they are accumulated across all sessions. Our special stages page explains the easiest way to find these special stages, including a trick involving the debug option.