Gamescom 2019, as with this year's E3 2019, feels like a very quiet year for the German conference - but one difference from 2018 is there are actually several press conferences to tune into.
The headliner is one hosted by Geoff Keighley - of The Game Awards fame - with a number of announcements by several major publishers planned, including the tease of something from PlayStation, which won't have its own show for a second year. Blizzard, which usually has its own gamescom conference, won't be revealing anything at the show at all.
Meanwhile, first-party publishers Xbox and Google Stadia will have their own dedicated conferences, and though Nintendo is doing a short indie-focused show, don't expect anything from its own internal studios. That said, several of its games will be playable for attendees.
With next generation consoles not due until holiday 2020, don't expect anything big from gamescom 2019 - but fingers crossed there will still be a surprise or two in store.
On this page:
- Gamescom 2019 conference schedule at a glance
- Nintendo Indie World conference times - Monday, August 19
- Inside Xbox gamescom 2019 conference times - Monday, August 19
- Google Stadia Connect gamescom 2019 conference times - Monday, August 19
- Gamescom Opening Night Live conference times - Monday, August 19
As for gamescom stream links, we'll be populating this page with links to our live texts as each press conference goes live. As always, reviews editor Martin Robinson will have the conn.
Gamescom 2019 conference schedule at a glance
Here's when every gamescom 2019 conference is scheduled to go live at a glance. The good news is it's all on the same day - Monday, August 19th - and all bar Nintendo's sort-of-not-gamescom-but-kind-of-is show follow one another, so if you want to tune into every gamescom conference, it's going to be pretty straightforward:
|Gamescom 2019 schedule||Conference Date (UK)||UK time (BST)||EU time (CEST)||East Coast US time (EDT)||West Coast US time (PDT)|
|Nintendo Indie World||Monday, August 19||14:00||15:00||9:00||06:00|
|Inside Xbox||Monday, August 19||16:00||17:00||11:00||08:00|
|Google Stadia Connect||Monday, August 19||18:00||19:00||13:00||10:00|
|Gamescom Opening Night Live||Monday, August 19||19:00||20:00||14:00||11:00|
Nintendo Indie World conference times - Monday, August 19
- UK: 2pm (BST)
- Europe: 3pm (CEST)
- East Coast US: 9pm (EDT)
- West Coast US: 6am (PDT)
Though not strictly a gamescom conference, its timing alongside the other showings makes it worth highlighting.
Don't expect a bevy of reveals compared to a Nintendo Direct, but this 20 minute briefing should give you indie games coming to Switch you might be interested in for the weeks and months ahead.
Stories announced during Indie World at gamescom:
- Superhot is set for Nintendo Switch
- Risk of Rain 2 coming to Nintendo Switch this summer
- Ori and the Blind Forest confirmed for Switch
- Hotline Miami 1 and 2 bundled up for Switch
- Every game announced in Nintendo's Indie World presentation
- Gorgeous gothic action-platformer Blasphemous gets September release date
Inside Xbox gamescom 2019 conference times - Monday, August 19
- UK: 4pm (BST)
- Europe: 5pm (CEST)
- East Coast US: 11pm (EDT)
- West Coast US: 8am (PDT)
As per previous years, Xbox will host a special gamescom edition of Inside Xbox. We know this year's big first-party release Gears 5 will showcase new Horde footage, and there's also a Ghost Recon Breakpoint multiplayer reveal and a closer look at Destiny 2: Shadowkeep, Empire of Sin, PUBG, Battletoads, Blair Witch and Age of Empires.
Sounds like a lot to get through. That said, last year we saw news of Halo: The Master Chief Collection joining Xbox Game Pass and PUBG leaving early access, so expect any news to be of that calibre.
Stories announced during Inside Xbox at gamescom:
- Gears POP! out this week
- Devil May Cry 5 leads more Xbox and PC Game Pass additions for August
- Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition out in November
- New Wasteland 3 gameplay video shows off combat
- Romero's mobster strategy game Empire of Sin gets first gameplay trailer
- PUBG gets cross-console play in October
- In Gears 5 Horde mode, characters have ultimates
Google Stadia Connect gamescom 2019 conference times - Monday, August 19
- UK: 6pm (BST)
- Europe: 7pm (CEST)
- East Coast US: 1pm (EDT)
- West Coast US: 10am (PDT)
The second Stadia Connect - which is Google's Nintendo Direct-style broadcasts for its upcoming streaming service - will take place just before the headline Opening Night Life show.
We know "it's all about the games" and that it'll be "revealing brand-new trailers to going behind-the-scenes with our partners".
We have an idea of the Google Stadia games on the way already - but more info, including what we hope to be individual game pricing and timings, would be welcome.
Here's what we saw from the first Stadia Connect ahead of E3 2019 in June:
Stories announced during Google Connect at gamescom:
Gamescom Opening Night Live conference times - Monday, August 19
- UK: 7pm (BST)
- Europe: 8pm (CEST)
- East Coast US: 2pm (EDT)
- West Coast US: 11am (PDT)
This conference, hosted by Geoff Keighley, has a number of publishers on board - with 2K, Activision, Bandai Namco, Bungie, Capcom, EA, Epic, Koch / Deep Silver, Kerbal Space Program publisher Private Division, Sony Interactive Entertainment, Square Enix, Ubisoft and more all on board, so expect plenty of trailers and some possible new reveals.
One game we definitely know will be there includes Death Stranding, which will have an "exclusive preview" from Hideo Kojima. Meanwhile, Google Stadia and Xbox will be there, despite them having their own shows earlier in the day, with the latter showing off some of Gears 5's campaign.
Stories announced during Gamescom Opening Night Live at gamescom:
- Kerbal Space Program 2 in development
- Disintegration's first gameplay trailer looks like a mix of Halo and X-COM
- Little Nightmares 2 announced for 2020 release
- Amplitude Studios unveils "historical strategy magnum opus" Humankind
- all of Duty: Modern Warfare PS4 gets an open alpha this weekend
And that's your lot - not as busy as E3's conference schedule, but it'll take up a chunk of your Monday. We'll update this page with gamescom live stream and live text links, plus the various announcements, as they are made available.