Wii U eShop Page 4

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• Raiko101 25 Apr 2013 15:58:47 6,295 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So the eShop has updated. I've downloaded the Rayman thing. Still no update or VC yet, though. Hopefully it'll be up tomorrow as I intend to get every single VC game on there! (Payday! :D)

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• roz123 26 Apr 2013 14:49:41 7,113 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Prices and details of the VC and Panorama stuff coming out tomorrow
    http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/04/nintendo_download_27th_april_virtual_console_europe

Wii U Virtual Console

Super Mario World (Nintendo, 7.99 / 5.49) Widely regarded, including in our own staff votes here on Nintendo Life, as the best Super NES title and the finest of Mario's 2D adventures. Whether you agree with that or not, most will happily admit that this is classic platforming from start to finish. This is the 60Hz US version of the game.

Ice Climber (Nintendo, 4.99 / 3.49) Reminiscent of a time of more simplistic, arcade-style titles on the NES, this is a franchise that's been dormant for a long time, though the characters have become famous in Smash Bros. In truth this one can feel loose and awkward to play, so is perhaps for die-hards only. __This is the 60Hz US version of the game._

Mario's Super Picross (Nintendo, 7.99 / 5.49) We've become largely accustomed to playing Picross on the go, so this is a relatively rare home console version from the Super NES. There's little to say apart from the fact that it's a well executed version of the game, as you fill out pictures on a grid by following the numbered cues; certainly one for fans of the genre to strongly consider. This is the Japanese version of the game.

Donkey Kong Jr. (Nintendo, 4.99 / 3.49) Rather like Ice Climbers, this harks back to arcade-style origins, in this case with single screen action puzzle solving. A notable twist is that Mario is the villain in this game, and in short bursts can be fun, but up against some of its rivals it can feel like a clunky, flawed experience. This is the 60Hz US version of the game.

Excitebike (Nintendo, 4.99 / 3.49) This bike racer has seen recent life as a free 3D Classic, but it arrives on Wii U in its original NES glory. It's simple but iconic racing fare with a modest number of tracks, but the track editor should give it some extra life. This is the 60Hz US version of the game.

Punch Out!! (Nintendo, 4.99 / 3.49) This one has already been in the Famicom Anniversary celebrations at 0.30 / 0.30 for a limited period. If you did miss out this is your second chance, albeit at a much higher price, to pick up one of the true iconic classics of the NES library. You can see what we thought of the experience on Wii U in our Punch Out!! review. This is the 60Hz US version of the game.

F-Zero (Nintendo, 7.99 / 5.49) Another title that's been available at a bargain price until recently, this is one of the finest futuristic racer you'll find, and still stands up today. High speed action with terrific visuals and music, you can read all about it in our F-Zero review. This is the 60Hz US version of the game.
    Wii U eShop

Wii U Panorama View (Nintendo, 1.99 / 1.79 per virtual tour) Originally shown off extensively at preview events before the system launched, this app takes you on fixed tours where you move the GamePad at any angle to see a "window" into a 360 degree view. A free preview will be available to download, or you can choose from four full tours to purchase.
    Edited by roz123 at 14:50:04 26-04-2013
  • Armoured_Bear 26 Apr 2013 15:04:27 10,977 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The VC prices are a disgrace,
    NES games should be no more than a quid
    SNES no more than 2.50 and N64 a fiver at the very most.
    Greedy cunts.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• NOSAVIOUR 26 Apr 2013 15:38:46 2,804 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah why not just give them away for free. It's not like they hold 5-20+ hrs of gameplay. I'd feel proper ripped off paying 5.49 if I hadn't played it before, and even if I had I could better spend that money on a pint and bag of crisps ;)
  • Progguitarist 26 Apr 2013 15:55:57 10,438 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    7.99 for F Zero.

Honestly?
  • Raiko101 26 Apr 2013 15:57:22 6,295 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear I assume you're joking, right? You of all folk.

• binky Moderator 26 Apr 2013 16:32:57 9,622 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Progguitarist I thought it said 5.49
  • binky Moderator 26 Apr 2013 16:34:09 9,622 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've never bought anything for VC before, but I think I'll be grabbing Fzero and Mario World. Two cracking games for a tenner, regardless of their age.
  • Progguitarist 26 Apr 2013 16:34:10 10,438 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Euros my man.
  • Armoured_Bear 26 Apr 2013 16:38:19 10,977 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear I assume you're joking, right? You of all folk.
    Deadly serious, they're completely ripping the piss charging prices like that for ancient games.

• binky Moderator 26 Apr 2013 16:39:14 9,622 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Progguitarist I'll sell you a snes and a copy for 6.99
  • DFawkes 26 Apr 2013 16:41:29 22,927 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, looks like alright prices to me. Not great prices, but acceptable enough. Certainly not bad enough to swear about it. Possibly except Punch Out, but I didn't even have that at 30p!

I have to admit I'm not 100% sure I'll bother paying 1.50 for the Gamepad play upgrade to my Wii VC versions, but given it's entirely optional it doesn't matter much :)

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Raiko101 26 Apr 2013 18:13:14 6,295 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I will be upgrading those games i've purchased on the Wii, but I didn't actually get that many. It's the off-tv support that appeals to me most, but it's nice to have the option.

I can't say that these prices are ridiculous though. It all depends on the game in question, but Super Mario World is a bargain at that price, no matter how old it is.

The 3DS currently offers GBC and NES games at different prices, depending on quality and popularity, so hopefully that carries over to the Wii U, too.

• daz_john_smith 27 Apr 2013 10:03:20 1,636 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    The VC prices are a disgrace,
    NES games should be no more than a quid
    SNES no more than 2.50 and N64 a fiver at the very most.
    Greedy cunts.
    Over in the comments LazyDan made a good point suggesting that VC games should be priced individually, rather than by platform. 5.49 for a game like Mario World doesn't feel too offensive, but most other SNES games don't deserve that price tag and even fewer NES games deserve to be 3.49.

Probably too much effort to price them individually though.
  • yegon 27 Apr 2013 11:20:49 5,262 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bah, no Earthbound, probably have to wait till October or something ridiculous. Had it for SNES back in the day, loved it, but for reasons that escape me I sold it, and not for a crazy high price either :(

Edited by yegon at 11:21:12 27-04-2013
  • JinTypeNoir 27 Apr 2013 18:40:03 4,386 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If the prices were not uniform, 3rd parties who know they don't have a hit everyone will want to download will have even less incentive to put a game on the platform.

The prices, as they are now, are an attempt to keep some level of reasonable value for old games. Its better in the long run that this happens, then in the short run you save a bit of money and nobody ever has any incentive to work on putting classic games on these services because the rate of return is so low. By keeping a reasonable level of expectation, the market for classic games is preserved.

"Emulated ROMs are free/they should be iOS prices" are not arguments. iOS prices are not healthy in way, shape or form for the industry. No matter how you try to argue away, real releases take quite a bit more Q&A (contrary to popular belief you cannot just move a file from Wii to 3DS to Wii U and get them to work the same extent, especially the 3DS; a few games must be reprogrammed slightly so that things do not tits up when you try multiplayer options that do not work/are programmed differently than the original machine handled them; copyright violations and licenses must be changed or removed many times, or kept in for a price and bugs introduced by emulation must be test and squashed).

On top of that, it can be quite a bugger to even procure the rights to publish a Virtual Console game in the first place. Nintendo for instance cannot simply publish Earthbound overseas unless Shigesato Itoi agrees to it as well. Companies that no longer exist need to relinquish their copyrights to other companies, or have them bought. In Japan, Hamster, Konami and Arc System Works release a lot of Virtual Console games for other companies.

When you have the uphill battle of getting people to care about the rerelease of an ancient title in the first place, getting these companies, especially since it is no longer a fresh new idea as it was when the Wii released, setting a price higher than some of you expect is a given for any publisher who wants to make any kind of money. The prices are more than reasonable when you look at comparable markets in other entertainment industries. The only real argument you have is that Nintendo should stop pretending like one dollar equals 100 yen equals one pound or euro and do a more proper currency conversion.

As for selection, I keep thinking now that the idea of a PlayStation Archives or Virtual Console is around, they should build it into the copyright licensing of new games, so eventually its kind of like karaoke, if anyone is familiar with that model. That is, if you want to offer karakoke, you can effectively license a pack of songs to offer on your machine for a price. The person who is offering the karaoke then decides on how to profit from the service while still paying royalties. If there was some way Nintendo could offer a huge swath of games under this kind of contract and do that, I think that would be ideal, but they first need to get them into "karaoke pack" as it were and the only way they are going to be able to do that is to make it worthwhile to publishers to pursue it.
  • Deleted user 27 April 2013 18:46:22
    Nintendo should really offer a Love Film type subscription they lets you play all NES/SNES/N64 games as long as you're a member.
  • Tekkirai 27 Apr 2013 18:55:57 104 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    HairyArse wrote:
    Nintendo should really offer a Love Film type subscription they lets you play all NES/SNES/N64 games as long as you're a member.
    That would be way too progressive. Maybe in a decade or 3 though.
  • Raiko101 29 Apr 2013 00:53:27 6,295 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So, has anybody earned enough points to redeem any money back from the 'Nintendo Network Premium' scheme? I'm 48 points shy of a fiver. Could be a couple of SNES games there!

• figaro7 13 May 2013 03:56:28 1,363 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Picked up Trine 2 when it was discounted, playing through it atm, its safe to say even though it looks the goods on the big screen, playing entirely on the wii u gamepad is a better option. Especially for the touch controls added to the game.

Having said that its still quite fiddly at times and the jumping mechanic is average, still enjoyable though.
  • Armoured_Bear 13 May 2013 07:22:17 10,977 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    figaro7 wrote:
    Picked up Trine 2 when it was discounted, playing through it atm, its safe to say even though it looks the goods on the big screen, playing entirely on the wii u gamepad is a better option. Especially for the touch controls added to the game.

Having said that its still quite fiddly at times and the jumping mechanic is average, still enjoyable though.
    Why is it better on the gamepad?
    You an se the same touchscreen controls when playing on the TV too AFAIR,

• NOSAVIOUR 13 May 2013 07:59:01 2,804 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I agree. It looks better on the tv but way easier to play on the game pad with touch controls as you need to keep taking eyes off the tv to use them properly.
  • figaro7 13 May 2013 11:10:13 1,363 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep, you can use the touch screen controls, but you're always looking at your gamepad to do them, so its easier to focus on one screen for trine 2.
  • Armoured_Bear 13 May 2013 11:48:29 10,977 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    This week's Stuff
    Super Metroid for 30p can't be beaten!

• figaro7 18 May 2013 00:55:19 1,363 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    An update on trine 2, just about to throw in the towel, why, because honestly, it plays like an average puzzle platformer. Puzzles ill admit some are clever, most make no sense at all and you can fumble your way through them and the jumping mechanics are poor. Its a pity, everything else is sublime and the expansion pack thrown in is miles better than the main game with some amazing environments.
  • Raiko101 18 May 2013 01:12:36 6,295 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've still not got around to playing it, actually. I had a quick go when I bought it, but i'd arranged to play online with a friend and we'd decided to wait for that first update with mic support.

It definitely feels sluggish and clunky though, unfortunately. My girlfriend wont play through it with me, as a result.

• Raiko101 23 May 2013 16:54:54 6,295 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Trine 2... An amazing looking game with great atmosphere and presentation, but ruined by some atrocious controls. It's not so much the button layout, but rather how it all feels. It's way too floaty and with the wizard it's too fiddly.

I'm also left with the feeling i'm constantly expoiting the games mechanics in order to solve puzzles or retrieve items, which makes the game look as if it has been poorly designed.

I'm quite interested in seeing how the game would play out in 3 player, co-op. What, with the added restrictions on character swapping, but with 2 players it felt kinda messy.

Single player is ok as you can play at your own pace, but this game feels like a chore for the most part.

• zoolophage 27 May 2013 08:53:43 1,727 posts
    Seen 3 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Some comments about e-shop stuff I downloaded this weekend:

I'm really impressed by Super Metroid. Almost 20 years old and still plays well. The music is quite brooding and atmospheric and it takes me back to my C64 days. Back then, I was a C64/Amiga/PC gamer so this is the first time that I've played SNES games. I like the mix of exploration and shooting. Good stuff!

However, I have to say that I was not particularly impressed by F-Zero. It has aged very poorly (imo). I enjoyed seeing what it was and seeing how the Gamecube version was influenced, but I can't see myself going back to this one.

Kirby's Dream Course (at the reduced price as I already had it for Wii). Have been enjoying it and getting into it more than I did on the Wii. While rather a light game, I think it has enough substance to see me put in a few hours of play. It's well suited to the gamepad. It actually made me realise what a great idea off tv play on the gamepad is. This never saw a lot of play on the Wii due to the fact that my gaming time is limited and I couldn't justify 'wasting' it over other, more modern titles. But now with the off tv play, I can play these types of games any time without hogging the tv.

Super Ghouls and Ghosts. I remember playing Ghosts and Goblins back in the day, either on the C64 or Amiga. From what I recall, this seems like a slightly worse (and much, much harder) version. I guess my reactions must have slowed down in the last 20 years or so, cos I just keep dying over and over and over. The animation seems really stilted. I don't know whether that's intentional of just how games played on the SNES.

3DS: 2019-9957-3472

• Raiko101 27 May 2013 13:35:33 6,295 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I didn't play a great deal of Ghosts and Goblins as a kid, but it's as hard as I remember. It's taken me nearly 3 hours of gameplay just to reach the third stage.

• Raiko101 2 Jun 2013 06:01:56 6,295 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just giving a heads up to everyone who is a part of the Network Premium scheme. You can apparently redeem your points on either the Wii U eShop or the 3DS eShop. If i'd known this earlier, i'd have put the funds into my 3DS.

• Page

of 7 First / Last