UPDATE: Ubisoft's unverified list of 2012 release dates is "inaccurate", the publisher has told Eurogamer.
"We're thrilled and kind of amused to see this line-up news," a Ubisoft statement handed to Eurogamer begins.
"It shows that players are anxious to hear about Ubisoft's upcoming releases. This reported line-up is inaccurate. We guarantee you that you'll hear directly from us soon about the amazing variety of games Ubisoft has slated for fiscal year 2012-13."
ORIGINAL STORY: Ubisoft will release Assassin's Creed 3 and Splinter Cell: Retribution this year, according to an unverified release schedule posted by Gameranx.
Eurogamer has been trying to contact Ubisoft all morning, but has been unable to verify the document with the publisher.
But it sounds about right.
Ubisoft has teased that 2012 will bring a "major" new game in the Assassin's Creed franchise. Eurogamer since discovered that this game will conclude the story of protagonist Desmond Miles before the series' doomsday date arrives in real life. That doomsday date is 2012, so we'll need the concluding instalment this year.
PC, PlayStation 3, Wii U and Xbox 360 versions of Assassin's Creed 3 are apparently on the way. Nintendo mentioned an Assassin's Creed Wii U game when the console was unveiled at E3 last summer.
This is the first time we've heard the name Splinter Cell: Retribution, but we knew a new Splinter Cell game was in development at Ubisoft Toronto, and has been for several years. That project's being lead by ex-Assassin's Creed frontwoman, Jade Raymond. Retribution's down to appear on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.
A Prince of Persia game for Wii and 3DS is also mentioned. Could it be a new game, or is it the downloadable Prince of Persia port that was released for WiiWare and the 3DS Virtual Console last month?
A game called Just Dance Final Party is listed for Wii, PlayStation Move and Xbox 360 as well. And what a dramatic name - do we take this to mean Final Party will be the last Just Dance game from Ubisoft?
We doubt it.
We've reproduced the full (and as yet unconfirmed) Ubisoft slate below. Curiously, there's no mention of Rayman Origins, which is scheduled to launch on PlayStation Vita next week.
- Brothers in Arms: Furious 4 (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows)
- Far Cry 3 (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows)
- I Am Alive (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360)
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Microsoft Windows)
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online (Microsoft Windows, Wii U)
- Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Retribution (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows)
- Prince of Persia (Wii, 3DS)
- Assassin's Creed 3 (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii U, Microsoft Windows)
- Just Dance Final Party (Wii, Xbox 360, Playstation Move)