Double Fine's Spacebase DF-9 recoups $400K investment in two weeks

85 per cent came from Steam Early Access.

Double Fine's upcoming sci-fi building sim, Spacebase DF-9, has recouped its $400K investment in a fortnight.

Where's George Clooney when you need him?

This milestone was reported by the Indie Fund, the collective of indie developers responsible for backing such projects as The Swapper and Monaco. The Indie Fund noted that it usually only invests $50 - $150K in a project - and indeed it only invested $75K in this case - but the Humble Bundle, Hemisphere Games, make all, AppAbove Games, Adam Saltsman, The Behemoth, Morgan Webb, and Rob Reid put in a the remaining $325K.

The collective noted in its announcement that 85 per cent of Spacebase's revenue came from Steam Early Access sales, while the remaining 15 per cent came from direct sales on the game's official site. Either way, it's been priced at £18.99 / $25 (or £22.99 / $30 with the soundtrack).

"This is an important milestone for us because the success of this experiment opens the door for us to support more projects of this magnitude in the future," said the Indie Fund. "To be clear, this won't affect the number of smaller projects we fund. Our bottleneck has always been finding promising projects to invest in, not lack of funds."

"It also provides an encouraging data point about bringing together larger groups of people to support larger projects, and we are mulling over what this might mean for the future of Indie Fund," the collective added.

This bodes well for Double Fine testing the waters of Steam Early Access, where it will debut a still-in-progress version of Broken Age in January.

Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Read our policy.

Jump to comments (17)

About the author

Jeffrey Matulef

Jeffrey Matulef

Contributor  |  mrdurandpierre

Jeffrey Matulef is the best-dressed man in 1984.


Watch Dogs Legion will no longer be updated

Previous multiplayer seasons will repeat.

Here's another extended look at Elden Ring

Reducing player stress was a major focus.

Digital Foundry | AMD Radeon RX 6500 XT review: 1080p gaming, with a catch

An efficient yet slow design that lacks a few key features.

You may also enjoy...

Supporters only

Comments (17)

Comments for this article are now closed. Thanks for taking part!

Hide low-scoring comments

Buy things with globes on them

And other lovely Eurogamer merch in our official store!

Eurogamer Merch
Explore our store