At every Penny Arcade Expo the organisers highlight 10 standout titles from the indie world to spotlight in the official PAX 10 selection. Some of these games are already out, while others are on the horizon. All are worth taking a look at.
This year's official selection includes:
- Avalanche 2: Super Avalanche (Beast Games, PC); climbing platformer
- Badland (Frogmind, iOS); side-scrolling flying adventure - out now
- Escape Goat 2 (MagicalTimeBean, PC); puzzle-platformer
- Gunpoint (Suspicious developments, PC); stealth puzzle - out now
- Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime (Asteroid Base, PC and Mac); co-op defensive shooter
- Owlboy (D-Pad Studio, PC); adventure
- Ridiculous Fishing (Vlambeer, iOS); fish-shooting sim - out now
- Rogue Legacy (Cellar Door Games, PC); platformer/roguelike - out now
- Sokobond (Alan Hazelden, Harry Lee and Ryan Roth; PC, Mac and Linux); puzzle
- TowerFall (Matt Makes Games, Ouya, PC); competitive multiplayer platformer - out now
Eurogamer reviews editor Oli Welsh was quite fond of Ridiculous Fishing, while scholar-of-all-things-awesome Chris Donlan spoke highly of Rogue Legacy in his review, and EG-contributor Dan Whitehead said in his Gunpoint review that he liked it so much he was sad there wasn't more of it.
For a moment I was surprised to see one of my most anticipated indies, Gone Home, wasn't on the list. Then I remembered developer The Fullbright Company was boycotting PAX.