The PSP was the best selling console in Japan over the last fiscal year, according to a newly published set of sales figures.
Enterbrain data reported by Andriasang shows that Sony's handheld sold 2,640,499 to edge out the DS which sold 2,523,142 and top the sales chart.
PlayStation 3 finished in third with 1,407,126, narrowly beating the Wii.
Here's the full chart, with life-to-date sales in brackets:
- PlayStation Portable: 2,640,499 (16,867,853)
- Nintendo DS: 2,523,142 (32,598,870)
- PlayStation 3: 1,407,126 (6,341,950)
- Wii: 1,397,498 (11,534,590)
- Nintendo 3DS: 801,423
- Xbox 360: 195,563 (1,448,665)
Another sales report published earlier this week should give you some idea of how this measures up on a global scale.
DS RPG Pokémon Black/White took the software crown shifting 5,149,022 units, followed by PSP beast-battler Monster Hunter Portable 3rd with 4,372,182. The full top five looked like this:
- Pokemon Black & White (DS): 5,149,022
- Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (PSP): 4,372,182
- Wii Party (Wii): 1,826,857
- Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 (DS): 1,283,423
- Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii): 856,853