The Professor's Protege is one of Final Fantasy 15's many optional quests, and one that might be familiar to anyone who played the Episode Duscae demo.
Accessible from the start of Chapter 3 by chatting to Sania at Coernix Station, she asks you to hunt down red frogs and yellow frogs, before finding other biological samples, including Gigantoad, Wyvern, Mrylwood Firefly and Griffon, and finally, The Frogs of Legend.
It's a questline that can be completed with a relatively low-level party - the Griffon fight is recommended level 30 - rewards a healthy amount of EXP (the last three parts offer over 10k EXP each) and give you status protecting items, including the all-protecting Ribbon. Let's get started!
The Professor's Protege - Red Frog locations
Quest giver: Chapter 3, chat to Sania in corner of parking lot in Coernix Station - Alstor (north east Duscae)
Reward: 3000 EXP and Star Pendant
Head south of the outpost - having a Chocobo here would save you a bit of time - and head down the east side of the lake in the middle of Duscae to the waypoint, where you're instructed to find five red frogs. They are found in the following locations:
1. Next to the giant rock and bushes, just as you enter the waypoint:
2. On top of the central rock formation:
3. On the outside northern edge, in the water:
4. and 5. These are close to one another - in the south of the waypoint, to the west and south of the elevated ledge with the large rock on it:
Once done, back to Sania to get your rewards, and unlock the next part of the quest line, 'The Professor's Protege - Yellow Frogs'.
Need more help? Our Final Fantasy 15 guide and walkthrough can provide tips on the open-world's many quests and activities. Learning how to get AP fast, EXP fast and Gil fast in Final Fantasy 15 will aid you in the many optional dungeons and tombs - including how to open and explore their locked doors. And if you want to get around easier, you can rent a Chocobo, learn the infinite sprint trick and later in the game, get the flying car Regalia Type F. There's also more to see and do with DLC, such as with Episode Gladiolus, Episode Prompto and multiplayer Comrades packs.
The Professor's Protege - Yellow Frog locations
Quest giver: Complete 'The Professor's Protege', then head to the Cauthess Rest Area in south Duscae. On the balcony of the two story building next to the diner is Sania.
Reward: 4000 EXP, Rainbow Pendant
Go to the designated location to the east of Duscae - it's past a crater, across a road and east of a fence, which you can get around by going south - to arrive at a small lake with a ruin and a fishing spot.
The frogs you are looking for all surround the lake in the following locations, going clockwise when approaching from the south.
1. On the southern edge, between the two fences and a rock by the shore:
2. At the northern-most tip, it's at the corner of the fence, just to the west of the fishing spot:
3. On the northern-side, go east of the jetty, up the rock ledge and it's next to a tree. Be sure to collect the Megalixir very close by the rocks, too!
4. To the south east side, find the large rock right by the water, with the small green ledges next to it. The frog is at the base of those:
5. On the south side, east of where the water is at its most southern point, there is a rock formation next to a tree. The frog is at the base of the rocks:
Once finished, back to Sania to get your rewards, and unlock the next part of the quest line. The next part is hunting a Gigantoad as well as a variety of other specimens.