Microsoft has revealed its latest tablet, the Surface Pro 3, at a press event earlier today in New York.
As reported by The Verge, the Surface Pro 3 features a 12-inch screen with a 2160x1440 resolution and the whole thing is only 9.1mm thick. It's much lighter than previous models too, with the whole thing weighing a floaty 800 grams.
The big innovation here is in its adaptable "full friction" multi-position kickstand and Type Cover that offer far more comfortable options to rest the tablet at. The kickstand has three different settings including a 150 degree angle-based "canvas mode" while the Type Cover magnetically connects to the screen, so it's more adjustable and sturdy than before. It also features a larger trackpad than previous models and Microsoft is touting the Surface Pro 3 as "The tablet that can replace your laptop."
Speakers have been spruced up too, as the device is 45 per cent louder than previous models, while the Surface Pro 3 will be powered by "the latest Core i7 processors", but this appears to be an optional extra with the Core i5-4300U chip the mid-range choice.
UPDATE: The Surface Pro 3 is available on pre-order tomorrow and goes on general sale in North America on June 20, with a worldwide roll-out expected to complete by the end of August. The new hardware starts at $799 for an entry-level Intel Core i3 version with 64GB SSD and 4GB of RAM, with a Core i5 unit with 8GB and a 256GB SSD costing $1,299. At the highest end of the scale, a Core i7/512GB upgrade costs an eye-watering $1,949. Accessories include a new $130 Type Cover, a $200 docking station and a $40 Ethernet adaptor. The complete spec is as follows:
- CPU: Core i5-4300U (1.6GHz, turbo up to 2.9GHz) with Intel HD 4400 (Core i3 and i7 options also available)
- Display: 12-inch ClearType Full HD Display, 2160x1440, 3:2 aspect ratio
- Storage: 64GB, 128GB, 256GB, 512GB SSDs
- Dimensions: 201.4mm x 292.1mm x 9.1mm
- Weight: 800g
- Ports: Full-size USB 3.0, microSD card reader, headset jack, mini DisplayPort, cover port, charging port
- Cameras/AV: 5mp/1080p HD front and rear-facing cameras, built-in front and rear-facing microphones, stereo speakers with Dolby Audio-enhanced sound
- Sensors: Ambient light sensor, accelerometer, gyroscope, magnetometer
- Wireless: WiFi 802.11ac/802.11 a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0
- Power Supply: 36W, including 5W USB for accessory charging