The PSP was the best selling console in Japan over the last fiscal year, according to a newly published set of sales figures.
Enterbrain data reported by Andriasang shows that Sony's handheld sold 2,640,499 to edge out the DS – which sold 2,523,142 – and top the sales chart.
PlayStation 3 finished in third with 1,407,126, narrowly beating the Wii.
Here's the full chart, with life-to-date sales in brackets:
- PlayStation Portable: 2,640,499 (16,867,853)
- Nintendo DS: 2,523,142 (32,598,870)
- PlayStation 3: 1,407,126 (6,341,950)
- Wii: 1,397,498 (11,534,590)
- Nintendo 3DS: 801,423
- Xbox 360: 195,563 (1,448,665)
Another sales report published earlier this week should give you some idea of how this measures up on a global scale.
DS RPG Pokémon Black/White took the software crown shifting 5,149,022 units, followed by PSP beast-battler Monster Hunter Portable 3rd with 4,372,182. The full top five looked like this:
- Pokemon Black & White (DS): 5,149,022
- Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (PSP): 4,372,182
- Wii Party (Wii): 1,826,857
- Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 (DS): 1,283,423
- Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii): 856,853