Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2162

• Page

of 2802 First / Last

• oceanmotion 13 Mar 2013 16:49:39 16,008 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    North Korean vehicle of choice, the Humvee.
  • Deleted user 13 March 2013 16:49:43
    I loved the original as a kid, it has not aged well. A remake is pointless.
  • kalel 13 Mar 2013 16:52:04 88,454 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's just such an intrinsically 80s Cold War film. It's the most 80s Cold War film I can think of in fact. Nothing about that film has any relevance outside of the 80s, or outside of the Cold War, and very specifically the combination of the two.
  • Blakester 13 Mar 2013 17:04:34 3,636 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just watched the new trailer for Kick-Ass 2 and I think it looks like an entirely pointless sequel.

The first one was fun enough, but I didn't feel as though I needed to spend more time with any of the characters (and frankly the most interesting ones died anyway).

Some films just need to exist in isolation to preserve the good feeling towards them I think.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• Daddy-Doom-Bar 13 Mar 2013 17:43:31 2,441 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well I liked it anyway. Aaaaaand it looks like I'm the only one.....

Edited by Daddy-Doom-Bar at 18:32:31 13-03-2013

You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Ghandi

• captbirdseye 13 Mar 2013 18:29:29 5,108 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The original Red Dawn was pure 80s fun and makes me sad when i watch someone of the recent action shite that Hollywood serves up these days.

The remake is a pile of shite though with no interesting characters and the actors just look bored half the time.

They originally had China as the evil guys but during post production they decided it might damaged international takings so changed it to North Korea and cgi'd in their flag etc which looks bloody awful.
  • Gambit1977 13 Mar 2013 18:37:14 10,202 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That's just it, the original was fun. This remake had the fat kid from Jake and Josh or whatever it's called trying to be the most annoying and emo arsehole ever put to film.
  • tuff 13 Mar 2013 21:29:21 628 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Twishite: Breaking Dawn Pt 2
    24%

Enjoyed the scrap near the end.

Highly irritating soundtrack.

CGI baby!?!?

Extra 20% for knowing its the last one and I don't have to sit through another one next year.
  • HelloNo 13 Mar 2013 21:37:02 1,157 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Argo

Interesting premise for a film and I wonder how much of it's actually true.

Excellent atmosphere right from the beginning and it only got better. Think it was Ben Stiller as the lead? He was allright but he directed as well and did a great job. All the embassy people looked slightly grotesque but it still worked somehow.

85%
  • ascue 13 Mar 2013 21:38:40 167 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ben Affleck :lol:
  • kentmonkey 13 Mar 2013 21:43:15 20,789 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Kanjin wrote:
    Argo

Interesting premise for a film and I wonder how much of it's actually true.

Excellent atmosphere right from the beginning and it only got better. Think it was Ben Stiller as the lead? He was allright but he directed as well and did a great job. All the embassy people looked slightly grotesque but it still worked somehow.

85%
    Little, really. I mean the fact it happened is true, but the events were quite 'unreal'. Very good film though, they just hollywoodised the actual events. But then it never pretends to be an actual replication of what happened, it just takes it as source material.

What actually happened involved the Canadians far more. And Hollywood isn't going to glam up the Canadians anytime soon. Not at the expense of the good ol' U. S. A.
  • evild_edd 13 Mar 2013 22:20:20 3,147 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Argo also completely ignored the fact the British embassay took them in prior to the group heading to the canadian compound.

Minor details I suppose, when it comes to adding a more cinematic feel so as to ramp up the tension.

Argo's a good film, but still not convinced by the best film award.

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• ZuluHero 13 Mar 2013 22:52:38 4,202 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Splice 6/10 interesting premise but didn't really go anywhere. Shame as I loved the cube and cypher etc.

Judge Dread (the new one) really good, given the obviously low budget. 8/10!
  • kentmonkey 13 Mar 2013 22:57:04 20,789 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    evild_edd wrote:
    Argo also completely ignored the fact the British embassay took them in prior to the group heading to the canadian compound.

Minor details I suppose, when it comes to adding a more cinematic feel so as to ramp up the tension.

It ignored a lot.

Like the fact that the chase at the end didn't actually happen and actually what happened at the airport was far more dull and less climactic than the film portrayed.

Still enjoyed it though. Had it been portrayed as a real-life account I'd be pissed, but as a film using the incident as it's source material and building a movie on top of it, I thought it did a good job.

Agreed, not film of the year for me either, but far better than I expected it to be. And really far better than it had any reason to be, considering Affleck was in charge. Or was it Stiller?
  • sirtacos 13 Mar 2013 23:47:01 7,319 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't understand why so many people still show such disdain for Affleck.

You'd think directing a succession of increasingly good movies would earn you some recognition if not respect - it's all been uphill since Gone Baby Gone; the guy obviously has some measure of talent.

Edited by sirtacos at 23:48:40 13-03-2013
  • Blotto 13 Mar 2013 23:50:01 2,776 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    evild_edd wrote:

Agreed, not film of the year for me either, but far better than I expected it to be. And really far better than it had any reason to be, considering Affleck was in charge. Or was it Stiller?
    I like Affleck directed movies to be fair. Wouldn't say he's amazing or is turning out to be one of the greats or anything like that, but I enjoyed the Town and I thoroughly enjoyed Argo. Haven't seen Gone Baby Gone but I hear good things.

Not exactly looking forward to everything he releases but he's certainly emerging as a mark of quality for films in my eyes.
  • Lukus 13 Mar 2013 23:56:07 19,258 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oz: The Great and Powerful

A little long winded. Not a patch on the original. Not really sure what the point of it was. Still watchable mostly and quite enjoyable at times. Just a bit generic.

6.5/10

Edited by Lukus at 00:39:17 14-03-2013

Paintings & Photographs

• beastmaster 14 Mar 2013 01:03:46 11,619 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Argo. It's only a movie. And if you don't like it you know what you can do...;-)

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Phattso Moderator 14 Mar 2013 01:10:24 13,571 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    EuroStalker wrote:
    Silver Lining Playbook (2013)

A quirky romcom which falls away to a bunch of cliches in the closing scenes. Worth a watch with someone else or on a plane.
    In another case of "should've read the back of the box more carefully" I hadn't clocked that this was a romcom. I kept waiting for it to go really dark, but of course it never did. D'oh!

Still enjoyed it for the most part, and it wasn't overly long (or at least didn't seem so) and would get a solid 7/10 from me actually.
  • Savatage 14 Mar 2013 03:00:47 38 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Taken 2

Liam Neeson's "teenage" daughter (she looks about 30) manages to outrun cops and gun-toting bad guys, perform evasive handbrake maneuvers and dodge speeding locomotives, all while driving on her learners licence. And after that, it starts getting unrealistic.

whatwasIexpecting/10

Dredd

Not much to add to what has already been said really. Just loved it.

9/10
  • Lotos8ter 14 Mar 2013 09:09:29 2,361 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Side Effects 5/10

I think my expectations were too high, but I found this languid, soporific and confused. Jude Law was very good as was Rooney Mara but it kept going off in different directions and I lost the will to live with it, not helped by falling asleep during the quiet middle section.

Fiat Lux

• Deleted user 15 March 2013 22:08:42
    sirtacos wrote:
    I don't understand why so many people still show such disdain for Affleck.

You'd think directing a succession of increasingly good movies would earn you some recognition if not respect - it's all been uphill since Gone Baby Gone; the guy obviously has some measure of talent.
    Thought the town was mediocre, but GBG is a fantastic film. really good stuff. Yet to see argo, but it does seems he found his role in life.
  • Kay 15 Mar 2013 22:21:29 17,925 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    EuroStalker wrote:
    Silver Lining Playbook (2013)

A quirky romcom which falls away to a bunch of cliches in the closing scenes. Worth a watch with someone else or on a plane.
    In another case of "should've read the back of the box more carefully" I hadn't clocked that this was a romcom. I kept waiting for it to go really dark, but of course it never did. D'oh!

Still enjoyed it for the most part, and it wasn't overly long (or at least didn't seem so) and would get a solid 7/10 from me actually.
    Funny, all the initial trailers advertised it as another one of those cheesy romcoms to avoid, and so I wasn't interested until I realised it was more about mental health (and it started getting award recognition).

So yeah, still a romcom, but certainly one of the better ones - although the ending is cliched, the rest of the film isn't. Not quite Oscar-worthy good perhaps (although all the main performances were great), but a solid 7/10.

Edited by Kay at 22:23:29 15-03-2013
  • Kay 15 Mar 2013 22:28:42 17,925 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    evild_edd wrote:

It ignored a lot.

Like the fact that the chase at the end didn't actually happen and actually what happened at the airport was far more dull and less climactic than the film portrayed.

Still enjoyed it though. Had it been portrayed as a real-life account I'd be pissed, but as a film using the incident as it's source material and building a movie on top of it, I thought it did a good job.

It goes without saying that the film ending was nothing like the real events! It just took the basic premise and made it into a typical Hollywood thriller.

It was very good, but again, didn't understand the Oscar fuss - I watched Life of Pi afterwards and felt that was much more deserving of the main award.
  • TechnoHippy 16 Mar 2013 16:06:58 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Snow On Tha Bluff

A bit shit.

3/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• TechnoHippy 16 Mar 2013 17:22:30 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Frankenweenie

I enjoyed watching this, it's what Tim Burton does best. Very gothic, a bit creepy and bit cute. Sparky is awesome.

8/10

Edited by TechnoHippy at 17:24:50 16-03-2013

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Deleted user 16 March 2013 20:42:44
    Dekalog (1988) 9/10
    Aka: Dekalog: The Ten Commandments (Parts 1 to 10)

Ten films, each one hour long. It seemed slightly daunting, watching what amounts to a 10 hour film spread across 10 parts. It took me a week, and I loved it. Each one hour story is a story in its own right, the only thing connecting them, all the inhabitants live in what appears to be the same tower block located in Warsaw, Poland. The acting is great. The first and the last story are the best, which might have been deliberate, to start on a high, and end on a high. Iím not clued up on the ten commandments, which the stories are supposed to be loosely based on, but thatís doesnít matter.
  • Maturin 16 Mar 2013 23:24:16 3,101 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Big Easy (1986)
    8/10 A real guilty pleasure

One of my favourite films, though I don't have a copy. But I found it on Netflix this evening so watched it for the first time in a few years. It's a guilty pleasure, a pretty lightwight cop movie set in New Orleans. But what makes it so great is the humour and chemistry between the leads of Dennis Quaid and Ellen Barkin.

Quaid is charming and funny and his emotional journey surprisingly well acted for what is a pretty light movie. Barkin is sex on a stick yet plays a very likeable role. There's a good supporting cast including Ned Beatty and John Goodman.

The story is predictable. But as I said, the joy comes from the characters and the setting. And the end is so much sweeter and romantic than you might expect in tis genre.

I love it.

Edited by Maturin at 23:27:00 16-03-2013
  • Vice.Destroyer 16 Mar 2013 23:42:00 5,850 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Bourne Legacy
    5/10. Two major problems with it. The action took exactly one hour to start! An hour of utter boring shit. When it did start, it was great. (Jeremy Renner makes a better killing machine than Matt Damon, IMO). And whoever decided to let the events of Bourne Legacy and Bourne Ultimatum run concurrently, needs to take a good, long look at themselves.Two films, released 5 year apart, produced as companion pieces.

The action was great, the ending a bit of an anti-climax.
  • Page

of 2802 First / Last