The Shield

• Page

of 18 First / Last

Previous
  • Fizzy 3 Oct 2003 01:19:31 929 posts
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just wondering who else watches this show?

I got it on DVD and Im loving it, really great, best show since Sopranos. I mean finnally a cop show that isnt lame or overly moralistic, all the characters have some serious flaws but that kinda makes em even better.

Get the DVD and enjoy, you wont regret it.
  • Ajay 3 Oct 2003 01:43:47 2,412 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Caught the end of series 2 the other week. Missed the previous week, but it was still the only thing I watched with any regularity. The characters are some of the best I've seen for ages - are they good guys who do bad things, or bad guys who (sometimes) do good things?

Sadly, no one else I know seemed to watch it. As soon as they hear it's a cop show, they lose interest. Shame.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Ajay at 00:44:46 03-10-2003
  • Blerk Moderator 3 Oct 2003 09:41:19 48,225 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's one of my favourite shows - an excellent, excellent watch. Haven't seen the end of series 2 yet 'cos I haven't had time to watch it off tape, but fingers crossed I'll get an hour this weekend. Fed up that it's finished... the series always seems too short at 13 episodes.
  • Ajay 3 Oct 2003 10:09:17 2,412 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's a great final episode to sterling series... anyone know if there's plans for a third season?
  • renzo 3 Oct 2003 10:11:33 3,195 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Am I the only person that doesn't watch the Shield? Watched one episode, and it didn't grab me. Maybe I'll give it another chance when it's on again.
  • ssuellid 3 Oct 2003 10:18:19 19,141 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Series 3 is coming next year: -

http://www.fxnetwork.com/shows/originals/the_shield/

I've still got the last 3 episodes of series 2 to watch and am really enjoying it - been some real side splitting moments and gripping episodes. Best thing on TV for a while.
  • Ajay 3 Oct 2003 10:23:44 2,412 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks, ssuellid - it's nice to have something on TV to look forward to for a change! Can't stand those smug forensics shows... Pah, Quincy taught them everything they know.
  • Continental_Op 3 Oct 2003 10:29:45 27 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    It didn't do it for me at first, I think as most of the story lines are continual, you miss a few and it'll take a while to pick up where the stories are going....shame the satellite channel CNX has moved over to just showing cartoons instead of great asian movies and the shield.

Those of us that have Sky Digital should be getting the FX channel next year, so no need to wait for channel 5 to catch up.

Didn't think Boomtown was v.good though, anyone else watch it?
  • Tricky 3 Oct 2003 11:06:56 4,404 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Apparently the one to watch out for this year is a show called Karen Sisco. It's based on the J-Lo character from the movie Out Of Sight and it's been getting rave reviews from the previews. of course we won't get it over here until January at the earliest... or more likely this time next year.
  • Deleted user 23 April 2004 11:38:30
    Finished watching Season 1 last night, great series! Season 2 on 3 DVDs is smiling at me from the shelf... good thing the weekend is coming and the weather sucks.
  • ssuellid 23 Apr 2004 11:45:19 19,141 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It is excellent series - but individual episodes are not worth watching if you have not seen the previous episodes of the series. There is just too many sub stories, plots etc that run from earlier episodes.
  • Blerk Moderator 23 Apr 2004 11:57:51 48,225 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anyone know when we're getting series 3 over here?
  • Deleted user 23 April 2004 12:09:14
    I watched the pilot last summer, it was good but not ace. Still, it left a taste for more which is usually a very good sign. After a few episodes I was hooked, despite not really liking the main character. All the characters are excellent and behave like real humans (something you don't normally see in a show) and the stories get tighter and tighter.

As for season 3, a friend of mine is following it now (via BitTorrent (: ) and he's impressed by the creators managing to keep the same high level throughout the whole show.

Personally I'm waiting since I want to be able to see several episodes in a row.
  • Whizzo 23 Apr 2004 12:12:21 43,133 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Anyone know when we're getting series 3 over here?
    With the internet does it matter?

Being able to be watch the show the day after it airs on FX is excellent.

Third season is fabbo so far and I didn't think they could out do the cooker incident(s) for sheer brutality but it has been topped!

This space left intentionally blank.

• Blerk Moderator 23 Apr 2004 12:15:02 48,225 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    With the internet does it matter?

You ever tried downloading TV programmes over a 56k modem? :-)
  • DocX 23 Apr 2004 12:18:39 1,963 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've seen a few episodes & think it's pretty good. I read that the guy who plays the main character (sorry, can't remember his name) is up for the role of The Thing in the Fantastic Four movie - he sure does look like Ben Grimm.
  • Whizzo 23 Apr 2004 12:18:59 43,133 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Blerk wrote:You ever tried downloading TV programmes over a 56k modem? :-)
    Didn't realise you were bandwidth challenged! ;-)

Five are currently repeating The Shield on Friday nights so maybe once they've run through them they'll start with the new season.

The seasons are only 12 episodes long so that probably won't be too long.

• Deleted user 12 May 2004 13:15:19
    Season 3 is really TEH BOMB! Just watched the latest episode and I want more!! Nice quote from this episode:

Caught thug: "You don't have the courage to kill me."
    Someone else*: "I've spent the last three weeks finding the courage NOT to kill you!"

*)I won't give the name away
  • Machiavel 12 May 2004 13:27:21 5,964 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just finished watching Season 1 last night. Highly enjoyable, though I wish it would 'simmer' a bit more and explore the characters further, like the magnificent Sopranos. Major revelations and plotlines are sometimes wrapped up in less than two episodes.

One thing that bugged me was the 'meaningful' start of one episode where a woman wandered through the police station complaining about the crime rate and social condition, and wanting it back "like it was." What was that exactly? Oil crises; 60s drugs and counterculture; two world wars; the Great Depression; civil war; murdering the Indians? Lazy American morality there.
  • Juninho 12 May 2004 13:39:59 1,825 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I havent caught this yet, will get the boxsets at some point and start wading through them.

Did anyone else watch Boomtown on channel 5? I thought that was a great show but it didnt get much recognition.

• Deleted user 12 May 2004 13:43:30
    the 'meaningful' start of one episode where a woman wandered through the police station complaining about the crime rate and social condition
    Aww, that was badly written and horribly directed. It's the problem with the series I guess, they've got 15 directors on board or something like that.

Season 3's got threads running much longer, sometimes left to be picked up 2 episodes later, etc. That explains the "previously on The Shield" resumé at the beginning of each episode they have now.
  • Chris-Gardiner 12 May 2004 13:51:47 962 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I luuurve the Shield. I felt, after watching the 1st episode, that they were trying too hard to be edgy and nasty, but they start out as grim as they get, and then go to some very interesting places. Now I'm hooked, although I've only watched season 1. It does seem to take a few episodes to drag you in, though. I think if I'd only watched one I wouldn't have bothered with another.
  • Deleted user 21 May 2004 11:32:37
    Does anyone know how many episodes are in the 3rd season? The 1st one had 12 and 2nd had 13 IIRC...
  • Whizzo 21 May 2004 11:41:03 43,133 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dunno about this season, 12 would mean it finishing next week and there's far too many threads that can't be resolved or setup for the next season too quickly.

At least Dutch can save money on cat food now...

Just checked on TVTome and there's another 4 episodes left so that makes 15 in season 3.

Edited by Whizzo at 10:43:03 21-05-2004

• Deleted user 21 May 2004 11:46:52
    Ah, thanks a bunch Whizzo! I relly didn't expect the turn in the last episode either, wtf! Still, it's perfectly within the range of the character.

I also felt it would be a little to hasty to tie everything up in one episode (unless it's a 2h grand finale type of episode). Good news there's a few left, now that "24" has one episode left. There's always "Sopranos" though.
  • prettyboytim 21 May 2004 12:46:17 907 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    God, I miss CNX. It was my favourite channel, whith great series like The Shield, and a bunch of kicking movies (er... by which I mean films with kicking in them) and anime.

They cut the channel with no warning and then said 'go watch Toonami'.

Yeah, thanks. You know, 'cos watching hours of fucking inane Dragonball Z is just as good as The Shield... feckers.

• Fizzy 21 May 2004 17:40:54 929 posts
    Registered 13 years ago
    Still have months before it Season 3 comes out on DVD!

I prefer to watch it on DVD in a few long sittings without the TV adverts ruining the pacing.

Great show, one of the few that I bother to follow and keep up with.
  • Whizzo 21 May 2004 18:55:00 43,133 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fizzy wrote:I prefer to watch it on DVD in a few long sittings without the TV adverts ruining the pacing.
    No ads on the ones I watch! :-)

Season 3 is excellent though and the show gets stronger and stronger.

• terminalterror 21 May 2004 23:58:05 18,937 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Juninho wrote:
    I havent caught this yet, will get the boxsets at some point and start wading through them.

Did anyone else watch Boomtown on channel 5? I thought that was a great show but it didnt get much recognition.

It was great until they chickened out and put the 7 different viewpoints chronologically. Still good, but just well done, rather than original and striking before when they jumbled it up and really made you pay attention.
  • Deleted user 9 June 2004 16:25:23
    Just wanted to say that the latest episode of "The Shield" is waiting for me at home and I'm off from work in a few mins.

It seems that the crazy Armenian guy will return... in style! Can't wait to see how things will turn out!
  • Page

of 18 First / Last

Previous