The Single Malt Thread Page 20

• Page

of 24 First / Last

• elstoof 19 Dec 2011 18:44:56 8,079 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Glenmorangie (rhymes with "orange-y) is lovely. Nice and smooth, a great gateway whisky.
  • elstoof 19 Dec 2011 18:53:07 8,079 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I bloody love that uigeadail, I know what you mean about it not being a session whisky though mal. At the price it is now I'm quite glad it isn't too :D on certain occasions nothing else will do.

Speaking of cheap single malts, tesco and sainsburys both are knocking out talisker for around the 25 quid mark.

Edited by elstoof at 18:55:42 19-12-2011
  • Deleted user 19 December 2011 20:15:50
    picked up the yamazaki 10 for 30 at the start of the year... it's now running about 42 most places online

bought my dad an 18yo stronachie for his christmas... bit of a punt but we'll see

coveting the hibiki 12 atm but may just settle for some cheapo tesco ish
  • steve1979 19 Dec 2011 20:39:53 2,007 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Highland Park 18 yrs was fantastic. I wouldn't mind a whole bottle of it. Might have to save my pennies first.
  • President_Weasel 19 Dec 2011 21:50:11 9,591 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    Blaketown wrote:
    Its the action of the ice melting that lowers the temp of a drink not the fact a cold thing is sat in the drink.
    That's not right. You can speed up the chilling effect by forcing the ice to melt quickly (see their ice cream makers where your pour salt into ice, but pouring a cold thing next to a warm thing will see both of them reach a common temperature eventually.
    Both are right. Putting a cold thing into a warmer liquid will lower the temperature of the liquid and raise the temperature of the cold thing until they've evened out.
    However with the ice you have the "cold thing in a warm thing" plus you have the energy required to change the ice from solid to liquid - I can't remember from high school science what that's actually called*, but it takes a decent amount of energy to do, thus chilling the whisky more.
    Assuming you had some reason for wanting to chill a glass of whisky those rocks wouldn't cool it as far, and it would be back up to room temp much sooner from the warmth of the room and the heat of your hand. However, the ice cubes might dilute your drink more than you intended - although given you decided to chill it in the first place, hypothetical person, maybe what you wanted was a really weak, really cold whisky.

Ah, internet says it's called latent heat. Also, the internet reminds me that water has a decently high specific heat capacity, so it might actually take more energy to heat X volume of ice cubes than X volume of stupid rock things.

Edited by President_Weasel at 21:52:53 19-12-2011
  • Rusty_M 19 Dec 2011 22:21:10 4,864 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That Glenmorangie was very drinkable. Feeling very mellow now.

The taste and the smell almost seem to disagree with each other.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.
    http://www.twitch.tv/rusty_the_robot
    http://twitter.com/Rusty_The_Robot

• PearOfAnguish 24 Dec 2011 17:45:22 7,440 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    speedfreek wrote:
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    Gents, which would you recommend as a good beginner bourbon - Maker's Mark or Woodford Reserve?
    You really want a Woodford, a Makers & an Elijah Craig 12 year old as they're the best of the sub 30 whiskeys. Woodford is really flavoursome and mellow, makers is flavoursome with a lovely harsh alcohol kick to it and the Elijah sits between the 2. A whiskey for every mood \o/
    Maker's was nice, bit of a kick to it but I'm getting used to that, Woodford is next on my list, also been recommended Elmer T. Lee.

(Maker's and Woodford are both a notch over 20 on Ocado at the moment...)

Had some Irish whiskey today and that was a real surprise. Was expecting something like Scotch, which I really don't enjoy, but it's lovely. Very mellow and smooth, really easy to drink.
  • elstoof 24 Dec 2011 17:56:25 8,079 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's the triple distillation for you. You might want to stick to highland and speyside scotch next time you venture there.
  • Kostabi 24 Dec 2011 18:22:45 5,018 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I treated myself to a bottle of Dalmore 15 years earlier in the week but haven't opened it yet. Not that I usually dabble with single malts but I felt like something new.
  • L_Franko Moderator 30 Dec 2011 15:49:08 9,697 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was introduced to Jura a few days ago (i'm slowly building up my knowledge) and I now have a new love in my life. Beautiful drink.
  • Deleted user 30 December 2011 16:04:10
    Jura tastes a bit too heavily spiced for my liking. prefer the more subtle and neutral drinks fwiw.

Edited by bitch_tits_zero_nine at 16:15:06 30-12-2011
  • Spunkweazle 30 Dec 2011 17:03:34 470 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My brother got me a bottle of Tobemory (or something like that)for christmas, im usualy a Jamesons drinker, but this is quite nice, tastes very strong but not too harsh, makes me sleepy tho

http://www.scottyslittlesoldiers.co.uk/
    dedicated to supporting the children of men and women killed while serving with the British Armed Forces.

• JoeBlade 30 Dec 2011 18:01:35 2,615 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    L_Franko wrote:
    I was introduced to Jura a few days ago (i'm slowly building up my knowledge) and I now have a new love in my life. Beautiful drink.
    Hah, that's a coincidence! I bought a bottle of Jura Superstitions for a mate this very afternoon. Hopefully he'll uncork it on his birthday (jan. 1st) so I can have a taste.
    The description definitely seemed intriguing :)
  • Mr-Brett 5 Jan 2012 12:29:17 12,877 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Laphroaig Quarter Cask is just under 26 at Tesco at the moment, might have to pick up a bottle if I find myself nearby.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• delbert 5 Jan 2012 12:55:13 2,889 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Treated myself to a bottle of Talisker 57 degrees North in Duty Free over Christmas.. Didnt read blurnb properly its also 57% ABV (i.e. 100% proof!) had one glass but not really had time to taste it properly but once you get passed the alcohol it actually seems quite nice :)
  • RyanDS 5 Jan 2012 12:57:20 9,716 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    Laphroaig Quarter Cask is just under 26 at Tesco at the moment, might have to pick up a bottle if I find myself nearby.
    Probably my favourite "normal*" whiskey. Love that stuff.

*as opposed to those 100 bottles you get for special occasions like a wedding or something,
  • Deleted user 5 January 2012 19:15:55
    Never tried a hundred pound scotch before. I don't know if I could justify that amount of money tbh.
  • mal 6 Jan 2012 03:34:23 22,787 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Whisky is fucking dangerous at the moment. Once you find yourself spending 45 quid on a normal bottle of lagavulin at the supermarket, 70 quid for a special doesn't seem that outrageous, then on top of that you can easily top 100 quid for a proper special occasion, provided your drinks cabinet is secure.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 6 January 2012 10:58:35
    Just picked up a litre of Teachers.. Heh, not a malt as such, but my favourite blend.
  • Deleted user 6 January 2012 12:39:04
    I bought a MacLeod's Single Islay Malt because, like brand fanboys, I'm soft for everything that has ISLAY written on it.

It's apparently only 8 years but it was cheap and the tasting notes mention peat and sherry. Wonder which distillery they get their whisky from. Based on McL's own description it sounds like Bowmore?

http://www.ianmacleod.com/bottling/?b_id=157&h=
  • Kokapetl 12 Jan 2012 22:12:31 865 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I can't quite explain just how much I'm enjoying this Yamazaki 12 at the moment. It's fantastic. Every time I take a whiff it knocks me for six but as it eases it's one hell of an aroma. It's the same with the taste as well. Very harsh but within seconds it's mellowed and is almost silky. The honey taste seem to be well documented but I swear there's a hint of chocolate in there as well.

This is the first bottle I've ever owned, and although I've tasted what's down the pub I've never really 'experienced' whisky. I'm quite excited by what's to come next.

Xbox Live/PS3/Steam - Kokapetl
    3DS - 0903-2865-7239 - Face

• mal 12 Jan 2012 22:17:27 22,787 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    Just picked up a litre of Teachers.. Heh, not a malt as such, but my favourite blend.
    For reference, the main malt used in Teachers is Ardmore, which they've started bottling and selling it in my local supermarket. It's very reminiscent of the highland cream and therefore, for me, undrinkable, but your mileage may vary.

• DocX 15 Jan 2012 20:30:46 1,963 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've was able to hit duty free over Christmas, so amongst others I tried a bottle of Smokehead as I'd heard good things about it. It's a fantastic Islay, I liked it so much I bought another bottle and the 18 year old as well, which is beautifully smooth at 46%.
  • Popzeus 6 Feb 2012 12:18:46 8,396 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Glen Grant releases a limited run of 60-year-old to mark the Diamond Jubilee.

A snip at 7,995.

Makes me feel a bit less extravagant for having spent 75 on whisky at the weekend.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• DocX 7 Feb 2012 19:00:52 1,963 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My butler uses that to clean the silver, whilst I sip this 100k Johnnie Walker
  • PearOfAnguish 28 Feb 2012 00:58:01 7,440 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Picked up a bottle of Elmer T. Lee and Rock Hill Farm Single Barrel recently. The Lee is fantastic, incredibly rich and sweet, it`s syrupy and coats your mouth and smells delicious. Rock Hill Farm came highly recommended but wasn't cheap so is being saved for a special occasion (ie the next time I get some decent weed).

Both have nice bottles with corks which is an important feature.
  • Lexx87 2 Apr 2012 20:46:57 20,863 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Trying this 18yr Glenfiddich and it's absolutely stunningly gorgeous.

Speak the truth hussy!

• elstoof 3 Apr 2012 12:29:32 8,079 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    valli wrote:
    It's apparently only 8 years but it was cheap and the tasting notes mention peat and sherry. Wonder which distillery they get their whisky from. Based on McL's own description it sounds like Bowmore?
    Diageo stock apparently, Lagavulin and and Caol Ila have featured in the bottlings. what did you think of it?
  • Fonzie 3 Apr 2012 17:51:53 1,872 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    Trying this 18yr Glenfiddich and it's absolutely stunningly gorgeous.
    Had a bottle over new year and it was lovely. I'm still loving Johnnie Walker Double Black. Every time someone goes through an airport I get them to buy me a litre bottle. At £25 for a litre, much better value than £38 for 750cl in Sainsburys. It's very easy to drink and tastes great straight or with ice.
  • mal 3 Apr 2012 18:29:10 22,787 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ahem, we'll have none of that blended nonsense in the Single Malt thread. Green, Gold and Blue labels are blended malts though, so sort of permissible.

• Page

of 24 First / Last