2012 Olympics Page 4

• Page

of 12 First / Last

• eleven63 6 Jul 2005 13:04:23 1,603 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Red Arrows just flew past - BRING IT ON!

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• minkyqueen 6 Jul 2005 13:05:39 1,880 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    To the Londoners:

If you don't like mass scale events, why did you move to/remain in London in the first place?

It's like people who live near sports stadiums and constantly complain about the noise/traffic. Duhh, don't live there then?
  • Kay 6 Jul 2005 13:06:02 17,888 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tiger_Walts wrote:
    /is glad he doesn't live in London

It is a long way off though, who knows where I'll be in 2012?

The actual Olympics may be a long way off, but there will be some very noticeable changes over the next seven years. Yes, it will cost a lot of money, but it will also serve as a kick up the backside to the government - at least now we'll have serious money invested into sorting out transport, roads, Stratford etc.

I'm glad we won, otherwise it would have been a huge anti-climax after spending so much money to support the bid.

In Paris, Moscow, Madrid and New York everyone will be ripping down the '2012' posters, whilst ours will be staying up for good...until 2012 at least.
  • kalel 6 Jul 2005 13:08:23 87,687 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    minkyqueen wrote:
    To the Londoners:

If you don't like mass scale events, why did you move to/remain in London in the first place?

It's like people who live near sports stadiums and constantly complain about the noise/traffic. Duhh, don't live there then?

OMG, I'm just...how can you...don't even....

/breathes

I'm not even going to bother.
  • spindizzy 6 Jul 2005 13:08:27 6,523 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    minkyqueen wrote:
    To the Londoners:

As an ex-londoner the point is that the public transport barely copes as it is, and who's going to pay for it all?

Having said all that, I think it's brilliant news, and frankly why all the negativity? It's possible that this will be a fantastic olympics - if the plans weren't good, the IOC wouldn't have chosen London. Let's have a bit of optimism folks (especially since it's so far off, and especially since it'll annoy Chirac).
  • markh 6 Jul 2005 13:08:29 3,598 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    although they aren't directly related, i reckon this will make any future bid for a world cup unsuccessful now. Or there will be no bids :(
  • Destria 6 Jul 2005 13:08:44 2,835 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    All you miserable buggers can just... bugger off
  • Spanky 6 Jul 2005 13:08:53 14,505 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    eleven63 wrote:
    Red Arrows just flew past - BRING IT ON!
    First thing said in here when they flew past was that it was the french revenge, sending nukes. ;) Didn't see them see, just heard the noise.

And minky, we don't live or work near stadiums, you won't need to to feel the extreme disruption this will cause. I'm sure there'll be a present from the council landing on our door mat soon, scuppering our spending plans.

Plubs

• Destria 6 Jul 2005 13:09:36 2,835 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And a big thumbs-up to the Red Arrows! They just flew past the office :)
  • bloke 6 Jul 2005 13:10:39 1,489 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    spindizzy wrote:
    minkyqueen wrote:
    To the Londoners:

As an ex-londoner the point is that the public transport barely copes as it is, and who's going to pay for it all?

Having said all that, I think it's brilliant news, and frankly why all the negativity? It's possible that this will be a fantastic olympics - if the plans weren't good, the IOC wouldn't have chosen London. Let's have a bit of optimism folks (especially since it's so far off, and especially since it'll annoy Chirac).

I don't mean to be a wet blanket - but this is just going to be a big ongoing distraction from much more important things.

As I said - Tony's got a brand new Dome.

/apologies to James Brown
  • Derblington 6 Jul 2005 13:11:12 21,624 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    minkyqueen wrote:
    To the Londoners:

I don't think it is the same thing.

I don't see how the Olympics are going to help us? As someone already said "Tony's got a brand new Dome", and let's face it, that was a total waste of time too.

The village will be sold for stupid ammounts of money and then ruined by chavs, and the equipment/stadiums won't benefit anyone. Locals won't be able to use Olympic grade stuff, it'll be kept for professional athletes. It'll cost millions that we'll have to pay off for the next 50 years.

I was talking to someone before lunch, apparently the only Olympics that have ever bought money back to the area it was held in was the very 1st one. Every country since has gone into debt because of it. Just what we need.
  • Tiger_Walts 6 Jul 2005 13:12:54 16,593 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hmmm, an un-even pair of domes, a single eye. Is someone trying to make London resemble a Picasso or something?

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• Fozzie_bear 6 Jul 2005 13:13:53 15,530 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:

Still, now Britain will have a chance to show the free world how to hold a sports event after the shambles that will be Bejing. Of course, by then, Britain may be less free then China :D

You think it'll be a shambles? Was thinking of going over there for it. Would love to go to china anyway and an olympics is as good an excuse as any. The facilities look superb. I'm guessing it'll be great - china taking opportunity to show off to the world.

I think it's great news that we've got it - but then i don't live in london so won't get affected by the disruption.

markh wrote:
    although they aren't directly related, i reckon this will make any future bid for a world cup unsuccessful now. Or there will be no bids :(

I think they're related. Nelson Mandela's support for London will have been valuable in getting the african votes. I'll bet that that support was bought with the uk throwing their votes behind a South African Football World Cup.

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• ruttyboy 6 Jul 2005 13:15:10 7,949 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Spanky wrote:
    And minky, we don't live or work near stadiums, you won't need to to feel the extreme disruption this will cause. I'm sure there'll be a present from the council landing on our door mat soon, scuppering our spending plans.

Hilariously I think I now do live pretty near to the stadiums. I don't want them to spend the money on principle, but if they do it might sort out my neighbourhood and everyone else will pay for it...

Who knows where I'll be in 7 years time though, hopefully not still in London.
  • unwashed 6 Jul 2005 13:15:23 1,857 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    minkyqueen wrote:
    To the Londoners:

/breathes

Without being rude, but please do explain. It is a mystery. It's the capital city after all, it is going to attract these kinds of events. Yes Londoners will have to fork out a lot of money of money in the form of council tax, but the rest of us will also fork out money through general taxation. And where will the improvements be? (Because there will be improvements, even if it isn't to the standard needed.) That's right they'll be in the outer hebridee's... Oh no, sorry LONDON.

Fer fucks sake, get a grip!
  • ssuellid 6 Jul 2005 13:17:26 19,141 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    I was talking to someone before lunch, apparently the only Olympics that have ever bought money back to the area it was held in was the very 1st one. Every country since has gone into debt because of it. Just what we need.

I thought it was just Montreal - ambitious nutter architect and Greece that had lost money on the Olympics. Greece was largely fucked by the massive increase in security costs.
  • eleven63 6 Jul 2005 13:18:04 1,603 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I remember going to Atlanta a couple of years before they hosted the Olympics in '96 and there was a real buzz about the place, it was making a noticeable difference to city.

Surely this can only be a good thing, we now have to sort out London's transport (amongst other things of course) or else we will end up with the biggest load of eggs on our faces.

Oh, and don't forget, as we bid for the games, and won the right to host on the back of that bid, we have to deliver!

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• Tiger_Walts 6 Jul 2005 13:18:05 16,593 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Has anyone been into the centre of Liverpool lately?

The traffic is a nightmare. All because of the masses of development work going on. Will areas of London be getting the same treatment?

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• ruttyboy 6 Jul 2005 13:18:51 7,949 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    unwashed, very few people live in dirty dirty London by choice, most are economic migrants, ie. if they didn't live in London they couldn't persue their careers.
  • spindizzy 6 Jul 2005 13:19:35 6,523 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    unwashed wrote:
    kalel wrote:

/breathes

Without being rude, but please do explain. It is a mystery. It's the capital city after all, it is going to attract these kinds of events. Yes Londoners will have to fork out a lot of money of money in the form of council tax, but the rest of us will also fork out money through general taxation. And where will the improvements be? (Because there will be improvements, even if it isn't to the standard needed.) That's right they'll be in the outer hebridee's... Oh no, sorry LONDON.

Fer fucks sake, get a grip!

Rude and ignorant! Look, Londoners effectively subsidise the rest of the country already, not all of the olympic venues are actually going to be in London, and the point is that most Londoners are unlikely to gain from the 'benefits' of having an Olympics. The Olympics is primarily a matter of national prestige, so in fact Londoners will almost certainly get the worst deal of anyone in the country.

Look, I think it's great, I think it's a shame that people are being so negative BUT THEY HAVE A POINT.
  • minkyqueen 6 Jul 2005 13:19:52 1,880 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    minkyqueen wrote:
    To the Londoners:

/breathes

Enlighten me or quick being so fucking childish?
  • Fozzie_bear 6 Jul 2005 13:20:29 15,530 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    eleven63 wrote:
    I remember going to Atlanta a couple of years before they hosted the Olympics in '96 and there was a real buzz about the place, it was making a noticeable difference to city.

ANyone been to barcelona before / after the olympics? Not been myself but have been told that it transformed the place.

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• ruttyboy 6 Jul 2005 13:20:54 7,949 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The office's favourite for a new sport we might be able to actually win: Pub Fighting :)

Edited by ruttyboy at 13:20:49 06-07-2005
  • unwashed 6 Jul 2005 13:21:31 1,857 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ruttyboy wrote:
    unwashed, very few people live in dirty dirty London by choice, most are economic migrants, ie. if they didn't live in London they couldn't persue their careers.

Ah, so because all the best jobs go to London (which is another argument) you shouldn't have to put up with national/global events? Getcha...

Looks like Tony doesn't have to legislate freewill away, we've all gone and lost it anyway...
  • minkyqueen 6 Jul 2005 13:22:05 1,880 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    spindizzy wrote:
    Londoners effectively subsidise the rest of the country already

How? Like, realistically, what figures are you making your judgements on?
  • CaptainBinky 6 Jul 2005 13:22:39 2,244 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I saw one estimation that reckoned that after the Olympics, Britain would actually be 100million up after licensing deals, ticket sales etc. So it might actually have a positive effect on the economy.
  • smoothpete 6 Jul 2005 13:23:26 31,512 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone fancy an EG outing to ladies beach volleyball?
  • Spanky 6 Jul 2005 13:23:29 14,505 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ted Cuntablast wrote:
    We now have the opportunity to prove what a shit country we are on a global scale.
    \o/ excellent, now that's a challenge. I'll do my best sir!

/takes photos of wanking tramp outside office
    /sticks them on top of the 2012 posters
    /knighthood?

Plubs

• ruttyboy 6 Jul 2005 13:23:34 7,949 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    unwashed wrote:
    ruttyboy wrote:

Ah, so because all the best jobs go to London (which is another argument) you shouldn't have to put up with national/global events? Getcha...

Looks like Tony doesn't have to legislate freewill away, we've all gone and lost it anyway...
    That's not what I said at all. That's why we're living there, if we had the choice we wouldn't 'cos then we wouldn't have to put up with the terrible state of the city. But if we don't live there we're fucked anyway as we won't have a job.
  • ssuellid 6 Jul 2005 13:23:57 19,141 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ruttyboy wrote:
    The office's favourite for a new sport me might be able to actually win: Pub Fighting :)

Or whinging,

Or drinking

Hopefully this should have a bit of a knock on effect on some of the bad bits of East London - like Abbeywood - supposedly a Thames bridge is going to be built there.
  • Page

of 12 First / Last