Marvel's Spider-Man (2017) Page 3

• Page

of 19 First / Last

• CosmicFuzz 10 Feb 2015 10:51:06 32,022 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Good shout on the Ultimate version of Spidey - very neat fix into the MCU.
    MCU have contacted me to make a film about my apparent powers of invisibility
    Heh, I was actually referring to your post. Just too lazy to scroll back up to find it on the page and quote you :D
  • ubergine 10 Feb 2015 11:47:12 7,480 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I thought Garfield did the physicality extraordinarily well, but Maguire nailed the Empowered Dork aspect of the character. Garfield is this hair-model going "Oh I'm so uncool" - ah, no, I'm not convinced.

Recasting the role means they aren't required to uphold anything that happened in the last movie, eg that stupid way Boy Goblin was handled. I'm hoping they just scrap all that stupid "Oscorp is behind every fucking thing" angle they went with. I found it all so two dimensional, great cast but heartless script and direction I thought.
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    malloc wrote:
    A re-reboot!? That really isn't necessary is it?
    I'm guessing an Incredible Hulk style into, 'here's what happened to him in 30 seconds, on with the adventure'.
    This is what I'm thinking too. Every relevant elements of Hulk's (movie) origin is covered in a couple lines of dialogue in The Avengers. Stark says he's a genius who turns into a rage-monster and someone says he was trying to recreate the super-soldier serum.

It left them free to ignore baggage like Betty and Thunderbolt Ross, or Rick Jones if he was going to be involved.

What's important about Spiderman in the context of an event movie isn't who he is or isn't dating or aunts, uncles and other baggage, its what he stands for, some witty lines of dialogue and novel uses of his abilities so he's a reason to be there.
  • Load_2.0 10 Feb 2015 11:47:59 25,779 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Secret Wars.

Send them all to Battleworld to duke it out.
  • ubergine 10 Feb 2015 11:48:59 7,480 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hopefully make the value of my copies skyrocket.
  • Ryze 10 Feb 2015 12:26:00 3,563 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ALL HAIL THE NEW SAVIOUR!

• Saul_Iscariot 10 Feb 2015 12:29:43 2,951 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Has the Watcher done something different with his hair?
  • ubergine 10 Feb 2015 16:39:44 7,480 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So weird, when your supreme despot ruler-figure is some fat dork who otherwise looks like he'd only get on the news for being one twinkie-fueled gaming-marathon short of being found dead in an internet cafe.
  • HoriZon 10 Feb 2015 20:00:23 14,085 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's official Garfiled is OOOUUUUUUT!
  • twelveways 10 Feb 2015 20:25:51 7,127 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I reckon we'll see a few CGI spidey shots in Civil War.

Really hoping they don't do the origin or, if they do, that they do it in an original way; as a long trailer or a really well done cartoon, kinda like Clone Wars.

Getting bored of the Osbornes/goblin story now too, which is a shame as I think it is one of more interesting hero/villain relationships in comics. The mob (Hammerhead, Tombstone etc) storyline has never been explored in movies, that could be quite good.
  • Ryze 10 Feb 2015 21:14:46 3,563 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ubergine wrote:
    So weird, when your supreme despot ruler-figure is some fat dork who otherwise looks like he'd only get on the news for being one twinkie-fueled gaming-marathon short of being found dead in an internet cafe.
  • fletch7100 11 Feb 2015 05:47:50 8,367 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So it looks like a younger Spider-Man during His high school years

Plus the rumour is that this deal is for free. Marvel won't pay any rights for Spider-Man to appear in their films. Marvel won't receive money from Sony Spider-Man films, Sony won't receive money from Disney/marvel films Spider-Man appears in. Kevin feige will have a say in the Sony Spider-Man films but not its spin offs.
  • Derblington 11 Feb 2015 08:04:02 29,642 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Seriously. Zac Efron.
  • ubergine 11 Feb 2015 08:05:53 7,480 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Such a weird arc with the five Spider-Man films. The first two take this focussed, human approach to classic characters, are lauded and make a fortune, and this could have continued but the studio interferes to force ridiculous Venom into it and the third film is bent out of shape. Then the reboots come with, frankly, magnificent budgets and effects, and these terrible, script-by-numbers approach to villains Lizard and Electro/Goblin. It feels like those two movies were written entirely by the suit committee that ruined Spider-Man 3.

I watched Avengers again the other night and just... marvelled... at how great the script is. It's not Citizen Kane, it's just an utterly competent event movie where everything makes sense, the motivations make sense, everyone has something to do and there's moments of wit that are a sheer delight every time I see it - particularly the "Loki is my brother!" "He murdered 80 people yesterday" "He's adopted" exchange.

Amazing Spider-Man just has "Me Lizard! Me go crazy!" and Amazing Spider-Man 2 has "Me Electro! Me go crazy!" and "Me Goblin! Me go crazy!"

I imagine the Sony meeting must have gone "Let's hire this Webb guy, because his name is Webb, and it's Spider-Man. Synergy. It's like what George Lucas says, everything ryhmes, stanzas. Synergy."
  • GuiltySpark 11 Feb 2015 08:10:56 6,747 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So, if Garfield is out, then what's exactly happening with the world they've been building? Sinister Six etc.
  • ubergine 11 Feb 2015 16:08:23 7,480 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    An article I read earlier suggests Sony are continuing to develop all their spin-offs, but I wouldn't be surprised if they churn through development hell for years. I can't see how their Sinister Six movie could be anything but fucking terrible.

Same article suggested Disney are playing a long game to get Spider-Man back and may wind uo simply buying Sony Pictures altogether when Sony is at peak bankruptcy.
  • neilka 11 Feb 2015 18:27:28 20,586 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    HoriZon wrote:
    It's official Garfiled is OOOUUUUUUT!
  • Saul_Iscariot 11 Feb 2015 18:36:13 2,951 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ubergine wrote:
    An article I read earlier suggests Sony are continuing to develop all their spin-offs, but I wouldn't be surprised if they churn through development hell for years. I can't see how their Sinister Six movie could be anything but fucking terrible.

Same article suggested Disney are playing a long game to get Spider-Man back and may wind uo simply buying Sony Pictures altogether when Sony is at peak bankruptcy.
    Back when the Toby/Sam trilogy ended I had a short treaty published in SFX which was my idea for the Sinister Six as the next trilogy.
  • drhickman1983 11 Feb 2015 19:02:46 4,988 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought the films were crap, but I did really like Garfield's Spiderman, more than Maguire certainly, thought he more closely matched the version I've read in the comics (not a massive Spiderman comic fan though).

Still, it's all a moot point now.
  • ubergine 11 Feb 2015 22:50:13 7,480 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I also thought Amazing was closer to the comics, but that it was a downside. The changes in the Raimi films made them work better on film.
  • CosmicFuzz 11 Feb 2015 22:53:48 32,022 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The amount of messing around on the Amazing films in post was crazy. Whole plotlines added or changed or dropped purely in the editing. Just so messy.
  • BinaryBob101 11 Feb 2015 23:01:34 26,502 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Seriously. Zac Efron.
    I would have said yes to this a few years back, but he's probably too old now.
  • Derblington 11 Feb 2015 23:06:30 29,642 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    He's 25 and still looks 12.

Maguire was about 27 when he took the role, and Garfield was 29.

Edited by Derblington at 23:06:41 11-02-2015
  • BinaryBob101 11 Feb 2015 23:08:02 26,502 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He's 27 and a bit long in the tooth for a high schooler if that's the path they go down.
  • ubergine 12 Feb 2015 03:27:01 7,480 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I find it too confusing, as there is another comic character called Garfield. I genuinely get confused by this.
  • ubergine 12 Feb 2015 03:28:08 7,480 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    "Garfield In Spider-Man"
    "Howard The Duck in Guardians of the Galaxy"
  • beastmaster 12 Feb 2015 08:41:35 17,591 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think they will go for an actors of high school age. Why the hell not? It's also not been done before so it could give it a fresh feel.
  • reviewer 12 Feb 2015 08:44:34 4,747 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    There's very little that can be done to make Spiderman seem fresh unless they put the effort into a good bad guy with some depth.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 12 Feb 2015 11:12:24 31,497 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mrgrissom wrote:
    i think garfield is an excellent spiderman no need to recast.
    I agree. He looks especially great without the mask:

• Page

of 19 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.