Hi Guys n gals of Eurogamer!|
I have been gathering info (for a research paper) about games whose visuals are made in black and white, or have an ability to be turned into, or have some sort of game-play based on it. Following will be the list of ones I have found up until now and I am hoping that some of you would add some other titles I have missed. (will add new titles in BOLD, so you know they were given by you)
(games that qualify for this list are in BnW not due to technical restrictions of their respective platform but rather an artistic solution - so no atari2600/gameboy/and would not dwell into NES's 48 colors and 6 grays XD)
[Monochromatic (B+W + gray)]
- Escape Plan (2d in 3d/arcade)
- Limbo (2d/arcade)
- The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom (2d/aracde)
- The Graveyard (3d/puzzle? XD/indie game)
- Kanabalt (indie/2d/platformer)
- Mew-Genics (upcomming)
[Pure Black 'n' White]
- Closure (2d/arcade)
- Echochrome (PS3/PSP/puzzle)
- Vib Ribbon (PSOne/music puzzle)
- Shift Extended
[Monochromatic + color/color + monochromatic to some extent]
- De blob 1 n 2 (gray world, you return color)
- Saboteur (gray occupied world, liberate -return color)
- Madworld (bnw + gory red )
- Contre Jour (2d/puzzle/iOS/IE10; 70% bnw+ 30% blue)
- Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer (portion of game is in BnW - while being in the Shadowrealm)
- Unfinished Swan (3d/puzzle/ps3
- Vorpal (B+W+shades of red)(x360, shoot-em-up)
- Dishwasher VS (with some light color hues + lots of red blood, but basics are hand drawn monochromatic b/w/g)[XBLA]
- N+ (monochromatic levels with few colored dots on the screen)[XBLA]
- Resident evil 5 (unlockable option)
- LA noir (lets you play the game form the beginning in BnW style)
- Uncharted 1 n 2 (unlockable?)
- Moto GP 1 n 2 (Xbox)
[Monochromatic/BnW misc uses]
- Test Drive Legends Ferrari (retro races start in monochrome, go into colour)
- Call of Duty series - warm ups before mp
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Triforce puzzle from Hyurle castle) [Gamecube]
- call off duty : modern warfare ("Death from above" level)
- Fallout 3 ("Tranquility Lane" quest, stuck in virtual reality )
- Painkiller (demon mode, everything monochromatic besides enemies that become red and black)
- Mickey Mania (level Cartoon 1 : Stemaboat willy, 1928, at the beginning of the level everything besides Mickey and powerups is monochromatic, then during the play-through it becomes in color )
- Epic Mickey (Steamboat Willy level)
- Kingdom Hearts II (Steamboat Willie stage The Timeless River)[PS2]
- Dokuro (majority in monchrome, when character transforms from skeleton to "other form" visuals shift to color and vice versa)
- Blood Will Tell (first few levels in monochrome till main character gets his eye back )
- Left4Dead (and few other fps games) (near death experience)
- Comic Jumper (Manga world levels) [XBLA]
- Red Johnson's Chronicles (case flashbacks in monochromtaic ) [XBLA]- - Timeshift (environment goes monochromatic when using time stop power) [PC/X360/PS3]
- Fatal frame 1 (prologue portion of game entirely in monochrome)[PS2]
And an open question for opinions - Would you like to see more games made in black and white as an artistic solution? And would you prefer seeing some AAA titles having more than a filter option (RE:5, partly L.A Noir), and BnW being incorporated into gameplay - like Saboteur or NWN2: Mask of betrayer?
thank you in advance!
PS. for those who are checking games on sites besides Eurogamer - have been asking this question, gathering info on other sites too - like gamespot and opened a club of BnW games on 1up.
thanks a lot!
Edited by redalien at 22:39:00 07-11-2012
Edited by redalien at 22:58:50 07-11-2012
Games made in black and white? (can you add more to the list?)
Pageof 3 First / Last
mrpon 32,001 posts
Seen 20 minutes ago
Registered 10 years ago
Have you played Unfinished Swan? It's actually quite colourful. Should be in the B&W + Colour category
But yes generally I would love more games in black & white. Not just for the sake of it, but if it gave something to the aesthetic or to the gameplay
@smoothpete aw, thanks - will correct! haven't been able to play all of these games, so I thought that Unfinished swan, judging by the trailer was a pure BnW, but rewatching the same trailer I saw - yez..there was colour in it XD my bad.
damagedinc 1,936 posts
Seen 2 weeks ago
Registered 5 years ago
Spy vs Spy on the Spectrum? Based on a comic strip which was printed in black and white I think.
Vortex808 10,485 posts
Seen 10 hours ago
Registered 8 years ago
Was the original BBC version of Elite black and white?
Edited by Vortex808 at 13:52:02 06-11-2012
neilka 18,300 posts
Seen 8 hours ago
Registered 11 years ago
Black & White
Vib Ribbon on Playstation 1.
Picnic 36 posts
Seen 4 years ago
Registered 8 years ago
I beliee that the section in the The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker on the Gamecube where all the soldiers freeze is in black and white.
Everything on the Gameboy
I actually can't think of any more.
Wizball on C64 had a black and white landscape - the concept being that you had to colour it in I think.
Madworld on Wii.
Also, kind of, but not really, Ikaruga.
Cappy 12,865 posts
Seen 16 hours ago
Registered 11 years ago
Does that have some colour elements?
Blood Will Tell (AKA Dororo) will remain in black and white until your character reclaims one of his eyes.
Edited by Cappy at 14:17:18 06-11-2012
DangerM0use 740 posts
Seen 1 month ago
Registered 12 years ago
One of the tracks on Trials HD was based on Limbo.
Edited by DangerM0use at 23:25:00 06-11-2012
woow, thanks for so many answers so fast - eurogamer's community scores some major points here
(now I am in hopes for more surprises!)
PS. I am starting to think that I should limit games listed only from 16bit platforms (hello 16bit era)) to nowadays (still excluding monchormatic solutions and gameboys! XD)
danathjo 7,850 posts
Seen 1 hour ago
Registered 9 years ago
I'm sure the first 2 Uncharted games had a B&W filter option. The first one for sure.
AcidSnake 7,581 posts
Seen 2 minutes ago
Registered 10 years ago
MGS3 had a weird Black & White/Yellow bit...
You had to save when imprisoned and reload the game...All of a sudden it became a hack and slash dungeony thing...After a while Snake just wakes up, so it was all a dream...
The Witcher 2 has you reliving someone's moments prior to death, that's desaturated as well...
ok, I am amazed at your gaming experience!
- for now will leave OP as it is, and will check in in few hours to "gather the goods" and update OP with new titles and pieces.
Thaanks, love ya! You have already helped me a lot!
Edited by redalien at 14:47:17 06-11-2012
Change the way people think about Black and White. Cancer can wait
Limbo and Winterbottom are the only two I've played
andytheadequate 8,871 posts
Seen 9 hours ago
Registered 6 years ago
Prince of Persia 2008 is black and white until you return colour to the world, similar to de blob
Deus ex HR was practically black and white with hints of yellow
Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.