PS3 died - need replacement

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • superted1974 30 Jan 2012 14:03:33 214 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My PS3 has just dies - Yellow light of death.

It was a 60gig orginal fat.

I think I might just buy a new replacement - I hope to copy my data/games over to the new one - anyone know if I can then trade in the broken one for parts? Someone else might be able to fix it but the guides I have seen have put my off.
  • Syrette 30 Jan 2012 14:11:23 44,343 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago

• X201 30 Jan 2012 14:12:58 15,761 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Remember to make a note of the serial number of the old one.

You'll need to phone Sony support if you have trouble getting it de-authorised from your account.
  • superted1974 30 Jan 2012 14:18:45 214 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks x201 - good bit of advice.

@Syrette - thanks but no thanks - my Blu ray collection would suffer!
  • X201 30 Jan 2012 14:43:45 15,761 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not sure how you're going to copy your data/saves over if the machine in stuffed though.

Anything stored on PS+ will copy over no problem, but ones stored on the other drive?

Edited by X201 at 14:44:10 30-01-2012
  • neosalad 30 Jan 2012 15:28:12 953 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    i think Morrisons have 160GB PS3's for 150 from today..
    and 250GB slim XBOx 360 elite's for the same price.
  • superted1974 30 Jan 2012 20:16:47 214 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @neosalad

Top call Neosalad.

A brand new 160gig ps3 just purchased from Morrisons. In fact I send another EG'er to get it was near his work.

At 150 that is about the same as a sony repair cost.
  • Cappy 30 Jan 2012 20:27:35 12,120 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sorry, your data is lost unless you pay for the YLOD to be fixed. You can't even put the hard drive in another PS3 to access the data, it will only let you format the drive to start again from scratch.

Due to encryption, data will only be readable on the PS3 it came from, unless your original PS3 can boot up long enough to transfer data everything on the drive is gone.

Some absolutely crazy DRM there courtesy of Sony.
  • waggy79 30 Jan 2012 21:24:57 1,101 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Very tempted by that 150 quid offer, the morrisons near me only sells games though so it'd be a bit of a drive to the next one.
  • Deleted user 30 January 2012 23:32:54
    @superted1974

My advice would be to try and fix the console yourself if you are up to the task (assuming the hard disk isn't making a clicking sound causing the problem) or ask a friend, Follow the video(s)/guide links below that I found useful; as it will allow you to recover your data and synch your trophies and then do the gigabit ethernet to gigabit ethernet fast transfer(20mins) to a new slim and then deactivate the system.

When I repaired mine the main thing I learnt from helping my friend do his before, was to have cereal box card at hand that you can sketch on (and make holes in)so that each screw you take out gets numbered and roughly positioned in the card where you took it out of in each of the system dismantling stages(making re-assembly 5min task).

I also put twice the time (heat) on the RSX ball grid array, as the system failure is most likely caused by the GPU, like almost every PC graphics card I've seen fail since lead free soldiering became the norm and mine is still running fine. Also be careful unclipping the blu-ray drive cable, the connector on mine went brittle(from heat aging) and snapped, making it a tough task to snap the cable back in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U70SgRDVcBo&feature=channel

http://www.llamma.com/PS3/repair/PS3_disassembly_tutorial.htm
  • SuperBas 31 Jan 2012 09:18:13 1,498 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just remove the HDD, and put it in the newer PS3. You'll have all your data. Or am I missing something?
  • superted1974 31 Jan 2012 09:39:26 214 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks for all your suggestions.

I hit a wall at stage one. I can't undo the first screw (the one under the warrenty sticker) - Mine is a "star" head but I think they used philips head on later models. I will tool up and try again.
  • X201 31 Jan 2012 09:47:56 15,761 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SuperBas wrote:
    Just remove the HDD, and put it in the newer PS3. You'll have all your data. Or am I missing something?
    You're missing something.
    It doesn't work like that, as per comments above.

The only way you can transfer all of your data is to use the backup utility to dump it to a separate drive and then use the restore feature on a new PS3 to copy that backup onto the new PS3. Just swapping the hard drive won't work.
  • X201 31 Jan 2012 10:03:14 15,761 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    superted1974 wrote:
    Thanks for all your suggestions.

I hit a wall at stage one. I can't undo the first screw (the one under the warrenty sticker) - Mine is a "star" head but I think they used philips head on later models. I will tool up and try again.

Ted, not sure if you've backed up a PS3 before, but some tips for when you get your PS3 working again.

Synchronise your trophies first.

The backup drive will need to be formatted in FAT32
    Windows won't format FAT32 in one big partition, so you'll need a piece of software like SwissKnife to format the external drive.

Yes, the backup is working correctly, it does take a very long time.

If you restore it to a new PS3 your trophy info will be wonky for a while. When you load some games for the first time on the new PS3 the game will award you all of the trophies again (with the same time/date), this will eventually get overwritten by the master copy that you sync'd with Sony's servers.

Good luck with the repair.

Edit:Additional: Locked saves can't ( and won't) copy across via the backup. The only way to move them is via PlayStation Plus.

Edited by X201 at 10:23:55 31-01-2012
  • Big-Swiss 31 Jan 2012 10:17:15 8,249 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    hmm, I just bought a new PS3, connected with the same account, and did the back up. everything fine. Only the saves don't transfer!

what did I do wrong that everything besides the saves didn't transfer?
  • X201 31 Jan 2012 10:21:51 15,761 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Big-Swiss wrote:
    hmm, I just bought a new PS3, connected with the same account, and did the back up. everything fine. Only the saves don't transfer!

what did I do wrong that everything besides the saves didn't transfer?
    Saves that are "protected" can't be transferred by copying them to a storage medium. They can be copied by uploading them to PS+ and then downloading them from there to the new console.

Locked saves are a developer thing, not Sony. Some developers allow you copy save files, some don't.

Edited by X201 at 10:22:13 31-01-2012
  • Deleted user 31 January 2012 11:09:29
    You can also copy Protected saves using the system->transfer option using gigabit to gigabit to clone a system from a old one.
  • X201 31 Jan 2012 11:27:32 15,761 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    You can also copy Protected saves using the system->transfer option using gigabit to gigabit to clone a system from a old one.
    Oh yeah. Had forgotten that they'd added that option.
  • kosigan 31 Jan 2012 13:36:23 482 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @X201 - it doesn't clone the system, the transfer options moves the data from one PS3 to the other, so you'll have the data on the new PS3 and not on the old. If you can't get the old PS3 working again and you need to deactivate it for games, you can do it at http://sonyentertainmentnetwork.com. For video content, you have to get in touch with Sony Support for them to do it for you. I've just gone through all this as my PS3 died the weekend before Christmas. I'm glad I'd used PS+ for game saves. Without it, non-protected saves can be backed up to a USB drive but locked ones can't.

If you want to put a bigger hard drive in as soon as you get the machine (I've got a 500GB one that I took out of my old PS3 and put in the new one), make sure that you get the latest firmware and put it on a USB drive of some sort, as you'll need it before the PS3 will even recognise the hard drive.

Edited by kosigan at 13:39:23 31-01-2012
  • Deleted user 31 January 2012 14:03:28
    @kosigan

The internal text on the PS3 transfer option might say otherwise(that it will delete the old console's data), but it does clone the system. I did it last week when I updated my OtherOS PS3 to 4.0 firmware(losing the linux feature) and cloned my day to day slim 250gb back onto the old system for use in the dinning room.

You might have to create a 2nd profile, after deleting you PSN account or manual reactivate the destination system(iirc) but it does genuinely clone systems.

Edit:
    The transfer option description seems to explain it poorly. It will force you to format the destination system before the send operation will begin, but after the transfer, both systems contain the same data provide you tell it not to deactive the old system when the transfer begins.

Edited by vizzini at 14:08:45 31-01-2012
  • kosigan 31 Jan 2012 14:51:17 482 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @vizzini - OK, I haven't actually used that facility myself as my original machine is dead.
  • el_pollo_diablo 31 Jan 2012 21:41:27 2,148 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So my launch 60gb died at Xmas, and I'm a cheapo non plus member. I'm going to have to play all the way through fecking everything again AND kiss the driver San Francisco disc stuck in my drive goodbye!

BALLSACK.

Edited by el_pollo_diablo at 21:41:50 31-01-2012
  • Retroid Moderator 31 Jan 2012 21:50:33 45,314 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have two 60gb PS3s. Both dead due to YLOD.

They're sitting in the loft waiting to be reborn some day, in the meantime the Slims are very reliable.
  • X201 31 Jan 2012 22:06:12 15,761 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    el_pollo_diablo wrote:
    So my launch 60gb died at Xmas, and I'm a cheapo non plus member. I'm going to have to play all the way through fecking everything again AND kiss the driver San Francisco disc stuck in my drive goodbye!

BALLSACK.
    If you feel confident enough/think its worth the effort, there are dis-assembly instructions on the net so that you can retrieve the disc.
  • el_pollo_diablo 31 Jan 2012 22:13:13 2,148 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @X201 Nothing to lose!

/ revs chainsaw
  • Deleted user 31 January 2012 22:42:16
    I thought wrapping in a pillow case and giving two days in the hot airing cupboard was the safest temporary fix.

But Retroid, if you really have got two broken originals(and it isn't just a line), check that neither are making a click sound(as that is just the hard disk gone and a two second fix), and get them boxed up and on ebay. I might even buy one myself for 40 +P&P to repair, so as to get the father in-law a Blu-ray player and device for Blue Toad murder type games.
  • el_pollo_diablo 31 Jan 2012 22:50:32 2,148 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers for the (mental) suggestions.
  • kosigan 1 Feb 2012 15:47:54 482 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    For any games that don't have locked saves, you can probably find them either online or on a magazine cover disc.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous