Need advice from EGers please.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Kami 12 Nov 2011 23:59:25 2,474 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yes, I am asking for advice. Can of worms. I am prepared.

Okay, so say I made a post on my old blog (yes, old blog, one I don't update any more) about someone. Someone we have enjoyed mocking and laughing at over the past few years here on EG. I suppose one can even look at my history to get an idea of whom I am referring to.

Now let's say this evening I had the pleasure of getting a response from him, quite out of the blue. I swear, I was totally stunned. Did not expect it. Not at all.

The message I got wasn't that threatening or mean spirited. If anything, I was a bit confused. Especially as I am aware this man generally doesn't do PR with gamers all too well. It was laden with some odd statements and corrections, but nothing I construed to be accusing me of anything other than a bit of misinformation, and a statement of a willingness to open a dialogue with me.

My questions are thus;

1) What is the legal/moral stance on re-printing that message? I don't exactly want to get into any trouble, especially as he doesn't seem to be inviting it - not on the surface, at least. But it was sent through their private message service. Should it remain private?

2) What if I believe him to be wrong? Can I facilitate a respectful dialogue based on such a feeling of distrust? I'm acutely aware he hasn't the best track record of responding to people. I don't want to goad him, mock him or in any way be disrespectful.

3) How badly wrong could this go? I mean, I've always tried to consider multiple angles and respect individuals as best I can. But never have I been so acutely aware that I probably need to cover my ass as much as I do now. It's a bit scary - and a bit exciting too!

I'm fairly sure people will know who I am talking about, I'm just asking - as a gamer, and as someone who has obviously joked about the man quite openly here at EG - to make sure that if I can open an extended dialogue, a proper dialogue, that it serves a better purpose than scoring points or rolling over. I personally don't want to do either. If he's willing to open up a dialogue with me, I should respect he is taking the time out of his busy schedule for it, right? Right?

I'm really not sure how to respond. As I said, I've never been so acutely aware of having to cover my ass. Any and all advice is appreciated. :)

And please, let's not attack the guy. His message was not overly aggressive, I've seen far worse and I'm in no way that afraid of him - other places have accused him of far, far worse things. I'm just very curious on how to go about this in a way that isn't going to end up with me dangling naked from a courtroom ceiling by my little soldier...

I really don't think the world needs to see that.

(If mods feel this should be merged, please do so.)

Master of Tekisuto No Kabe. *bows*
    And you're reading this why?!

• Tom_Servo 13 Nov 2011 00:09:39 18,082 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Don't re-print the message you were sent. If the message is innocuous enough I don't think there would be any legal repercussions, but it's just poor form.

If you believe him to be wrong, then tell him so. You've said he's opened a respectful dialogue with you, so be respectful back. That doesn't mean being meek though. If you think he's wrong about something, try and correct him.

And it can't go that badly. The worst is you get into a mini slanging match with someone on the internet. We've all been there.

And it isn't hard to figure out who it is from your history at all ;)

edit: It's quite difficult to give advice on this when we can't see what it is he's responding to. But that's about as much as I can say, really.

Edited by Tom_Servo at 00:11:09 13-11-2011
  • Deleted user 13 November 2011 00:11:13
    Billy_Sastard wrote:
    The Rev at a guess.
    My guess too. The cock that he is.
  • Tom_Servo 13 Nov 2011 00:12:29 18,082 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't think it's him.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2011 00:24:57
    I stand by my cock comment :p

But yeah, looking at kami's history there's a name that edges him out.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2011 00:35:23
    Not sure I'm aware of the whole situation here, but the only advice I can give regarding messages you receive from people you don't want to receive them from, is to completely blank and ignore them. These people are usually just fishing and after some sort of response, be it negative or positive. ie. any reponse at all from you is what they're after: it would result in further dialogue/engagement, which is what they want but you don't. So ignore them.

Edited by Greggywocky... at 00:35:58 13-11-2011
  • Kami 13 Nov 2011 00:39:27 2,474 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I kind of guessed it may be seen as bad form to reprint the private message he sent me. I just kind of need a little perspective. I guess I kind of knew one day this man would find his way to me, but aside all the 'corrections', he did at the very least allude to not wishing to insult me nor attack me, but merely open a dialogue.

That said, and I say this with SERIOUS CARE, he really didn't seem to attack me. But he did reserve a special little bit of bile for one or two things not directly related to me or my blog post. Of course, this is what made me stop a little and wonder about the repercussions of a reprint - as much as I, and many others, have an opinion on the man, is it really my place to facilitate another internet slagging match?

(Edit; not to mention one or two accusations that REALLY could cause a bit of a spark.)

I have no intention of being meek in my response. If he wants to open a dialogue, then - once my brain slows down a bit to think more clearly - I relish the opportunity to do so. I guess I've never really given much thought to the idea that eventually, someone like this would give me a nudge. This is the internet and weird shit happens on a daily basis. If not hourly basis.

And you can stand by your comment Aargh. I intend to make it very clear it is not my place to change opinions - it is his, and whilst I am kind of flattered to get the opportunity, I don't really know what his intentions are...

I guess that is that bit that unnerves me. I am suspicious before I've even started. Not sure if that is normal, but from the tone used down to the source code itself, I have double and triple checked and asked myself repeatedly; is this legit?

It took me a good few hours before I posted this topic because I wasn't sure. But I am about 80% sure it is legit. It just... feels legit. I know that's not really the best way to explain it, call it a gut instinct. I'm more than fairly sure it is legit. Some of what is mentioned is just too detailed to be a random person. Of course, it could all be arse, but I am prepared to accept that eventuality. I will do it all through the PM system anyway. I have no intention of giving out my personal e-mail address - whether or not it is legit.

I will say this though - I don't want to ignore him. How many times does someone get an opportunity like this in their lifetime? I fully intend to take it...

But not with any haste. I need time to think. My head is racing a little bit ahead of me, and that probably won't bode well...

Edited by Kami at 01:13:53 13-11-2011

• MrTomFTW Moderator 13 Nov 2011 01:31:30 39,814 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Timmy, it's Timmy.
    He's the patent troll with a lot to learn.
    Timmy, it's Timmy.
    He's a handful of trouble at every turn.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Kami 13 Nov 2011 01:47:46 2,474 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, umm, yeah... he who I shall not name.

edit; because I feel like I'm walking on eggshells...

Edited by Kami at 01:49:33 13-11-2011

• MrTomFTW Moderator 13 Nov 2011 01:50:30 39,814 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I am merely singing what I believe are the words to the CBeebies show "Timmy Time". It's very catchy.

• Kami 13 Nov 2011 01:52:03 2,474 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh it's very catchy, I'll grant you that.

I just sang that in my head to the tune of Skippy, is all...

edit; I'm off for some sleep. Not that I assume I'll have a good night...

Edited by Kami at 02:04:31 13-11-2011

• localnotail 13 Nov 2011 02:20:37 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I only have one piece of advice for you: never go ass to mouth.

Wait, no, the other one: it's only the internet. Nothing to lose sleep over.

Edit: #2 piece of advice - never trust autocorrect

Edited by localnotail at 11:19:23 13-11-2011

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• 1Dgaf 13 Nov 2011 03:03:29 3,978 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The fact you're posting here with all this secrecy and umming and aahing suggests to me you should leave it alone.

FWIW, I don't really know who you're talking about and am largely unaware of any arguments between forum members. It just sounds like a situation you're better off out of. Better out of, off? Better of off out?

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

www.isawthatyearsago.com - a retro film podcast

• Dirtbox 13 Nov 2011 04:25:16 79,217 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I suppose if he's cool about it then he deserves some sort of backpeddle on your previous hatred and a pat on the back for not being a dick about it. All too rare in this era of mindless litigation.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• sport 13 Nov 2011 08:34:20 12,816 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pics or GTFO.
  • PatrickEwing 13 Nov 2011 08:43:29 2,150 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DDevil wrote:
    I am merely singing what I believe are the words to the CBeebies show "Timmy Time". It's very catchy.
    Timmy Time is so much better than Sean the Sheep IMO.
    /sings Timmy Time song for the rest of the day darn you.
  • speedofthepuma 13 Nov 2011 09:27:22 13,320 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd sue him.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 13 Nov 2011 09:39:03 39,814 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well clearly since getting his arse handed to him by EA's lawyers in court he no longer has any words to Google in his search for patents to troll. As such I guess he's now just Googling his name instead.

As far as I know he's never been to these foruns, but just in case...

HI TIM, GOOD TO SEE YOU. SMASHING BLOUSE YOU HAVE ON.

• Toonster 13 Nov 2011 10:27:19 6,845 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I want blood! Blood and guts, I say!

3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

• thedaveeyres 13 Nov 2011 10:51:20 11,607 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ignore the twunt. He's mentally ill.

Edited by thedaveeyres at 10:51:35 13-11-2011

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Kosmoz 13 Nov 2011 10:55:52 7,770 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    WWJD?

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• Dirtbox 14 Nov 2011 04:04:13 79,217 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tim L? Heh.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• ilmaestro 14 Nov 2011 05:36:30 32,537 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Billy_Sastard wrote:
    The Rev at a guess.
    Hah, exactly what I thought until I looked at Kami's history.

The guy seems to have gone out of his way to look like a cunt in the past, presumably while he was still making money. Funny how he wants to be a nicer now, eh?

• mal 14 Nov 2011 05:42:39 22,848 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    gotyourmoney wrote:
    You are absolutely allowed to publish private correspondance on the web, that's perfectly fine. There are no legal ramifications, but perhaps one might consider it a moral grey area or, as others have said, poor form or bad etiquette.
    It used to be the height of poor netiquette, to publish private emails without permission - but I've not heard anyone mention it recently, especially when it comes to publishing correspondence from this sort.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Tonka 14 Nov 2011 07:09:06 21,364 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is it Bruce Everis?

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Kami 14 Nov 2011 10:03:32 2,474 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I suspected there may be no legal issues, but of course, that's not what concerns me.

To reprint it would to obviously make open some pretty hefty allegations, which then could land him in trouble (not that that is what bothers me entirely, as he seems to be in plenty of trouble already) - for me, it's getting caught in the middle, and for what? Am I really going to gain anything from this? Will I discover unknown truths? Will I be showered in affection from people? Or will it be just another dead-end in a lifetime of dead ends?

I still have yet to respond to the message. I'm trying - as best I can - to go through some of the legal records and PDFs already online to get as good an understanding as I can before I even so much as attempt to reply. I know it would be a lot easier to just put it out there and then everyone can dissect it piece by piece. Believe me, I've thought about it. Very carefully. Still am.

It's still taken the wind out of my sails. One would clearly think someone like me would relish the opportunity to tussle with such an individual. And trust me, every fibre of my being is itching to respond in a rather obligatory manner.

But that is tempered with a "Look before you leap!" feeling. I've largely found I can have an opinion without much consequence - now, I'm aware that there could be personal consequences whether I respond or, annoyingly, don't respond.

I'm so fucked, aren't I?

• disusedgenius 14 Nov 2011 10:04:14 5,626 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't know about fucked, but you're definitely a dirty little tease...
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous