Wii U Page 424

• Page

of 1354 First / Last

• THFourteen 8 Jan 2013 17:30:57 33,104 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    A console that's free of the TV is the same as a handheld that you can only play in your living room.

Big wow.
    Also, the only games that work on the gamepad are ones that don't actively use the gamepad for gameplay, right?

So y'know, start making better games that actually use the gamepad properly, people.

I'm just pissed that I have an unopened Wii U and I can't play it until tomorrow. Opening it would be too fucking tempting.
    It was shit wasn't it?
  • Deleted user 8 January 2013 22:38:10
    Cappy wrote:
    Jordyce wrote:
    Have you played a Wii U?
    No, I couldn't bring myself to touch the controller, it looked like a skanky, unclean mess, covered in greasy fingermarks everywhere.

The fact remains, you are only looking at one screen, human beings can't move their eyes independently, it's impossible.
    So you're judging a system entirely on flawed logic and refuse to actually play it?

I can't help but feel this guy's an idiot, and there's an overabundance of them when it comes to Nintendo on Eurogamer. I just don't know what's so specific about EG + Nintendo hate (even Kotaku's not this bad, and it's pretty awful).
  • RunningMan 8 Jan 2013 22:43:34 2,391 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Personally, Cappy raised some good points. There is enough literature around to form an opinion on any system without having to own one. It's pretty clear that the battery is waek and CPU is under-powered. But the duel system does do something interesting. It could have been much more interesting if say, Borderlands 2 or skyrim was on the system. But hey we can just play the same bloody ninentdo games, I've already played for 3/4 generations. And I have a SNES, N64, DS so I have played some nintendo games.
  • Steifybobbins 8 Jan 2013 22:55:44 336 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Deckard1 this comment suggests you are shit.
  • Steifybobbins 8 Jan 2013 23:01:28 336 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Ecosse. Ecosse is to blame for everyone hating Nintendo. He is a vile, vile human being, and his disgusting neck slime has tarnished Nintendo forever.

That and Nintendo are shit unless you have the mental age of an 8 year old. An 8 year old with downs.
    This one obviously.....
  • NOSAVIOUR 8 Jan 2013 23:21:25 2,804 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @RunningMan I haven't suffered any problems with the gamepad. Most have played with it straight is on 4-5hr Nintendoland sessions over Christmas and it was fine. Who plays longer than that straight anyway? I goes back on its dock and ready for next time I play.
  • Armoured_Bear 8 Jan 2013 23:26:11 10,511 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Best to put Deckard on ignore as I have, it's a shame that his occasional funniness is ruined by his constant, desperate and pathetic attention seeking behaviour.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Psychotext 8 Jan 2013 23:28:00 53,919 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sounds familiar... except, well, without the funny.
  • Syrette 8 Jan 2013 23:28:58 43,238 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

• Armoured_Bear 8 Jan 2013 23:29:07 10,511 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Sounds familiar... except, well, without the funny.
    No, you're not that bad.

• Steifybobbins 8 Jan 2013 23:29:22 336 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thanks for the tip!
  • Psychotext 8 Jan 2013 23:29:41 53,919 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No-one saw that coming!
  • Armoured_Bear 8 Jan 2013 23:30:32 10,511 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    No-one saw that coming!
    Where I come from the ladies love a predictable man....

• Kafeen 8 Jan 2013 23:33:20 552 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    So far, aside from multiplayer, no application of the gamepad pad is doing anything that couldn't be done on existing consoles.

But I'm scanning!/Looking at a map/Checking my inventory. Etc.

How many screens are you looking at whilst doing this?

One.

Then the exact same function could be achieved with a pop-up, semi-opaque pane on the TV.

Which overall makes the investment in the gamepad a waste of resources, the 80 or whatever it costs to manufacture could have been spent on putting stuff inside the box to actually make your games better, give you an OS that doesn't crawl, the resources wasted on this white elephant could have given you a proper online and account system so games aren't tied to hardware. Etc.

It's a waste of money.
    Doesn't stop people from having 2 or more monitors for their PC.

I regulaly have 2 monitors and a laptop infront of me. Sometimes a tablet too.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 8 Jan 2013 23:34:29 7,767 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Some of my best friends love Nintendo :D

However, the handheld update schedule made Apple look like cathedral builders and the Wii stopped convincing round about the point that people started pointing to Excite truck as proof that it could cut it against the 360 and the PS3.

I've only ever owned Nintendo consoles and the Wii killed it. Dead. The WiiU is more of the same but without Nintendo support, which honestly chaps should be a bit of a red flag.
    Exactly this. I've owned a NES, a SNES, Gameboy, N64, GBA, DS, GameCube. loved them all. Had the playstations as well but was always a big Nintendo fan. I grew up on Nintendo. When the wii was announced I had a countdown clock on my PC at work. I preordered the console and four games (which I never normally do) I bunked off work early and set it all up and...I liked it for a while. I enjoyed Zelda and Mario and wii sports and then...nothing. Played some virtual console. Ended up buying shit like mario soccer or whatever it's called for 40. Then my wife bought me a playstation and I may as well have thrown the wii in the bin. Nintendo obviously didn't care about people like me. They were going after the aged and mothers, fair enough but I knew then I'd never buy another Nintendo console. Skyword sword was the final straw and I'm the OP in that thread.

An aside from all that the wii u is clearly going to be a disaster. It looks like shit, it has a pointless gimmick as a USP, it has no support, it's expensive. It'll be dead and buried in two years time. Mark my words.
  • Syrette 8 Jan 2013 23:34:52 43,238 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kafeen wrote:
    Cappy wrote:
    So far, aside from multiplayer, no application of the gamepad pad is doing anything that couldn't be done on existing consoles.

But I'm scanning!/Looking at a map/Checking my inventory. Etc.

How many screens are you looking at whilst doing this?

One.

Then the exact same function could be achieved with a pop-up, semi-opaque pane on the TV.

Which overall makes the investment in the gamepad a waste of resources, the 80 or whatever it costs to manufacture could have been spent on putting stuff inside the box to actually make your games better, give you an OS that doesn't crawl, the resources wasted on this white elephant could have given you a proper online and account system so games aren't tied to hardware. Etc.

It's a waste of money.
    Doesn't stop people from having 2 or more monitors for their PC.

I regulaly have 2 monitors and a laptop infront of me. Sometimes a tablet too.
    What reason could you have for having four screens going unless you're the guy doing the live text updates for the football?

Edited by Syrette at 23:35:08 08-01-2013

• Jazzy_Geoff 8 Jan 2013 23:37:45 7,767 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Also surely it will be possible to replicate much of this scanning bullshit with smart glass style technology that uses the superior tablets most of us already own? I doubt it will take off though because its not really that interesting or fun.
  • Psychotext 8 Jan 2013 23:42:39 53,919 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lag is an issue for that sort of thing. It would work for a lot of the asymmetric gameplay stuff though.

But as previously stated, no-one would code for it because it isn't in the box by default.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 8 Jan 2013 23:47:13 7,767 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Surely it wouldn't take much effort to push, say, the black ops map onto the iPad for those that wanted it. That sort of thing is going to be what the wii u is used for most of the time.
  • Steifybobbins 8 Jan 2013 23:56:16 336 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Me? Really? Give over.
  • scoobysi 8 Jan 2013 23:57:43 886 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Smartglass is the future, ha ha that's a good one. Next you'll be telling me that Kinect 2 will be the dogs. Hold on I'll just put my pad down to check my map, don't shoot, hold on my maps updating, wait ....
  • Youthist 9 Jan 2013 00:00:23 10,010 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    "Mario soccer" isn't shit

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Jazzy_Geoff 9 Jan 2013 00:21:34 7,767 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yes it is.
  • Psychotext 9 Jan 2013 00:22:36 53,919 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aye.
  • Youthist 9 Jan 2013 00:29:40 10,010 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It isn't. Nor is melee / brawl while we are at it.

They are extremely compentent, and very deep, multi player games - which are rare across all formats.

Agreed that on the surface and without properly getting into them / investing time on them they look like throwaway fanboy garbage.

Edited by Youthist at 00:30:44 09-01-2013

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Jazzy_Geoff 9 Jan 2013 00:34:21 7,767 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Don't try and drag smash bothers into this to try and legitimise your wrong opinion. I'm taking about mario strikers charged as my game shelf tells me it is called, I bought that game on release day. I had no other consoles, there was a wii drought on, that was the only game available and I paid a lot of money for it. It was fucking bobbins and don't you dare try and pretend that it wasn't. Speedball 2 on my phone is 100 times better than mario fucking strikers charged. Only a fool would say otherwise.
  • Psychotext 9 Jan 2013 00:37:19 53,919 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    Agreed that on the surface and without properly getting into them / investing time on them they look like throwaway fanboy garbage.
    Why would I invest time in a game that looks like throwaway fanboy garbage when there's so much more on offer elsewhere?

Also, it got a sub 80 metacritic rating, which means it's shit.
  • LeoliansBro 9 Jan 2013 00:43:17 43,671 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I love both Mario Strikers games. The second could have done without the waggle though, prime example of a tacked on function which lessened the game.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Jazzy_Geoff 9 Jan 2013 00:43:53 7,767 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago

There he is the little cunt
  • Psychotext 9 Jan 2013 00:45:14 53,919 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:

There he is the little cunt
    Jericho... really?

/shuns